How do Paypal work in Vietnam?

How well does paypal work in Vietnam ? For Example, In South African i can use paypal to pay things and i can withdraw from paypal easily, but in China its not so easy, I can use paypal to pay for things, but withdrawing from paypal to a bank is a nightmare, ( Direct withdrawal to Bank account is not supported in China ) the only way to do it is via wire transfer to a bank account, which means you pay $35 for withdrawal and you have to withdraw minimum of $150 and it takes 7 working days. The reason i ask about paypal is because i do some programming work on the side and i get paid via paypal, so i am curious about the withdrawal process in Vietnam. Some months it amounts to a significant amount, So having paypal function properly is quite important to me. I do plan on opening a bank account in Vietnam soon as I enter the country.

Anybody used paypal at all that can shed some light on how well it works in Vietnam ?

Maybe the bigger question is " can you open a bank account in VN"?"

I dont see why not, from what ive read opening bank account is not hard. but withdraw from paypal, is that supported ?

raymerjacque wrote:

I dont see why not, from what ive read opening bank account is not hard. but withdraw from paypal, is that supported ?

From what I know, you have to provide first an employment certificate or a working visa for you to open a bank account or anything which declared where the money came from.

I don't think PayPal works across countries, no matter where you are.
Transferring money from a bank outside of any country to one inside seems to work only via wire transfer, AFAIK.

Let say you open two accounts, in US and Vietnam. Add the US checking account into PayPal. You then can have your clients pay you via paypal, i.e. depositing into your US bank account. When the amount accumulated enough to justify the wire transfer fee, then you can wire to your bank account in Vietnam.

Sounds cumbersome but still saving some bucks, better than using US issued credit cards in Vietnam, I think.

If you find a better way, please share, I am also very interested.

DN

you can open a vietnam paypal, and a vietnam bank account. then transfer the funds from us paypal to vietnam paypal and extract to vietnam bank account. this is what i do in china. my question is do vietnam paypal support the extraction feature since chinese paypal does not.

Yes, you can use Paypal in Vietnam.

Try to open account at ACB bank, then connect to Paypal. For other bank, it's hard to connect to Paypal

My situation is that I have a Vietnam Paypal account and an VND account at ACB Bank as mentioned above. The two accounts are linked and I can transfer the money into my account in VN. Then, I can withdraw from most any ATM/cash machine or use the card as a debit card, i.e. pay by card instead of cash.

A friend of mine (not in VN) got a PayPal card, which means he doesn't need to transfer to a bank account, but can just use the ATM directly. You might look into that possibility.

There have been discussions on this forum about Transferwise and another system I can't remember the name of right now. You can probably find those threads by searching using the search function in the upper right hand corner (the magnifying glass icon).

johnross23 wrote:

My situation is that I have a Vietnam Paypal account and an VND account at ACB Bank as mentioned above. The two accounts are linked and I can transfer the money into my account in VN. Then, I can withdraw from most any ATM/cash machine or use the card as a debit card, i.e. pay by card instead of cash.

To clarify, John:

Do you also have a U.S. PayPal account?

Are you using that account to transfer funds from a US bank?

Or, did you add a US bank to your Vietnam PayPal account?

After reading the OP and doing some research, it's appearing difficult if not impossible to move money from a U.S. PayPal account to other PayPal accounts, but it does seem that any PayPal account outside the U.S. can have a U.S. bank added to the profile for funding.

From what I have read, PayPal only allows one account, and you have to choose between addresses (U.S. or foreign) which can then make it impossible to access a U.S. bank that shows a different residence address.

I hope I'm not confusing the issue...

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

To clarify, John:

Do you also have a U.S. PayPal account?

Are you using that account to transfer funds from a US bank?

Or, did you add a US bank to your Vietnam PayPal account?

No for all of the above.

From what I have read, PayPal only allows one account, and you have to choose between addresses (U.S. or foreign) which can then make it impossible to access a U.S. bank that shows a different residence address.

I hope I'm not confusing the issue...

Based on my experience, this is correct. Previously, I had a PayPal account that I set up with my address while living in Bangkok. That account was linked to my bank account at Bangkok Bank. When the card expired, I wanted to link that PP acct to my ACB account but I was informed that I had to close my Thailand-based PayPal account and open a new one with an address in VN before I could link to a bank in Vietnam. In other words, everything had to be specific and limited to one country.

I have met someone who used an American-based PP account with US address and bank acct, while living in VN, but as you probably know, the withdrawal fee is around 5 bucks each time.

As I mentioned above, there is/was some possibility of getting a PayPal card if you have a business account with PP but I don't know the details.

Already done with Paypal.
Three ways that i withdraw money from paypal in Vietnam:
1. Withdraw through your bank account in Vietnam(transfer with bank swift code).
2. I made a payoneer card, can withdraw through ATM in Vietnam.
3.  Sell paypal with locals (direct or through trust group) to get VND!
All of above you received VND, not USD!