3 yr old membership, now it's time to post

Hey All,

When I registered here yesterday I found my old username and email. This is my first post according to the site, although when I came here in April 2009 I recall making several comments in a different format.

In 2009 I wrote several blogs (at dailykos as bobzimway) about the Chevron oil spill in the Ecuador Amazon and it was then that I became interested in moving to Ecuador, and Cuenca in particular.

The US is going nuts by the day...

I'm coming solo (while friends and relatives look on), a free spirit on the road again - I traveled through India, Nepal, Thailand and Vietnam in 2007-2008. I lived along the Mexican coast for five months fifteen years ago and employed Hispanic workers when I later owned a landscaping business in Santa Fe, NM, but my Spanish is STILL lousy, partly due to bad hearing. I've taken classes, read books, etc, but I have trouble understanding the mellifluous flow of the Spanish tongue (but not as much trouble as I had with the Vietnamese tongue when I taught English in Hanoi).

At this forum I would like to make some contacts with expats to hang out with when I arrive in Cuenca and start to get settled. I'm looking forward to eating good food and drink with new acquaintances in a new scene.

John

Bob, I agree the US is going nuts. I hate to see my children growing up in the future USA. The morals have been thrown out the door and common sense is not politically correct. I am also looking forward to a better place to live. I would not have thought I would have said that 30 yrs ago. Look forward to meeting you when we all get set up in Ecuador. My main problem is how am I going to get enough Bourbon into the country to last me.......

Txs, thanks for writing. You'll find me to have unique tastes in politics (progressive-libertarian hybrid I guess - I voted for Ron Paul) but if we were to drink enough bourbon together I want to emphasize that I'm a peaceful drunk. Best, John

Same here, Good luck on your search. I have made up my mind to definately go before Feb. I have scottish terriers, but may trade them in for St. Bernards, you know to help with the whisky smugglin. My darn Scotties are too low to the ground to haul much.

evcs: Thanks for that info. I'm looking forward to seeing - and verbally communicating in - Cuenca. Maybe I'll get to hear your NYC accent sometime. John