TV packages available

Would someone be able to tell me the type of TV that is available in Libya. Are the programmes available mostly American sitcom style shows or are alot of UK Tv on there. I am not really into American TV and was just wanderign what was on offer and at what cost per month. Thanks

We have one of the Showtime packages.  It cost us 325 LYD for 6 months.  We now have the mid range package rather than the top of the line as we found the main difference between the two was that the top of the line package has more sports channels.  We were not watching the sports channels in the top of the line package as they were mostly UK based, (cricket, football), rather than the occasional hockey game that we had hoped for.  Probably right up your alley though!!  It seems we still get important football matches somehow creeping onto our Comedy network with the mid range package as well though.

The programming is both UK and American based on Showtime though more often American.  For example we do get Coro, Mumbai Calling and  The Inbetweeners right now.  I do not know if Coro is up to date though I am certain someone on here must be a nutty Coro fan and can tell you where they are at, (aren't you all in the UK?  :P ). There are probably more UK shows though I am not so familiar with most being Canadian and all.  There is BBC prime which is all UK programming obviously.  There are also American programs such as Ugly Betty and The US version of The Office, Survivor, Oprah, etc. 

We also get several movie channels that have some big name flicks on them though generally you can get any pirated movie here for 2 LYD before they release it on TV therefore that is not really an issue.

Sattelite cards/dishes/boxes can be found on the north side of Gurji - just look for the 15+ shops with sattelite dishes all over them.  Pretty tough to miss when you are looking. 

Hope that helps a wee bit...

Hi ya,
Thanks for your detailed and quick reply. That helps alot

If you really want to see Sky satellite braodcasts, you will have to get a subscription in UK and then uninstall all the hatdware and bring it to Libya with you. It will work, as far as my information goes.

You can check around to be sure.

Amir

laurieloo82 noooooooooooooooooooooo did you have to say that 'ugly betty' is available, my bloody wife wont stop watching that program :lol:

There are hundreds of options available for TV in Libya. Almost all of the satellite decoders you can buy here are unlocked (meaning the subscription software has been disbled) and it's a case of pick your satellite and buy the box and dish for whatever service you want - all you pay for is the equipment and the installation.

We have the South African DSTV network - we get all the live games, several movie channels and loads more.

If you want to bring your Sky box, you'll need a minimum 2.4m dish to get a decent signal. You DO NOT need to uninstall the software if you are paying the Sky subscription.

Sandman6 wrote:

We have the South African DSTV network - we get all the live games, several movie channels and loads more.

Can you please give me more info on how to get the South African DSTV - it will be great to watch a Rugby game and have commentary in Afrikaans and keep watching my series in the order we have down here...

Are you already in Tripoli?

My contact for the DSTV has a shop on Gurgi Road in the row of other satellite TV dealers - ask in any of them for Mohamed the DSTV guy and someone will point him out to you.

Almost!  Our company finally got the translated, stamped and signed contract, now we have to give performance guarantees/bond (looks like it will be finished by end November) - then we will be in Tripoli in time for Christmas! 

And I was going to spend Christmas on a beach in SA...!!