Uk resident & driving Liscence registering & insuring a car in Romani

Hi,

As you know insurance proces are very high in the UK, Is it possible, legal, cheaper, to register and insurer a car in romania having a uk passport only?

If so How do you do it?

Cheers,
Jim

Hello Jim.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Do not hesitate to go through the other threads on the Romania forum. It can help.

Thank you,
Aurélie

jimmy100 wrote:

Hi,

As you know insurance proces are very high in the UK, Is it possible, legal, cheaper, to register and insurer a car in romania having a uk passport only?

If so How do you do it?

Cheers,
Jim

I'm quite sure you cannot register the car here with a passport, you need to have a residency permit, Romanian ID card or such.  To register the car, it has to go through RAR and ITP inspections and they won't do it on a passport alone, again you need Romanian ID.

Hi Jim,

Are you looking to register and insure a UK car here in Romania and then continue to use in the UK, or to bring a UK car with you to Romania and re-register it here for use here?

it's not possible to registrate a car here u need a residence permit here or at least for u as a ue citizen CERTFICAT DE INREGISTRARE a paper u can take from O.R.I. (romanian immigration office)
regards

In order to be able to benefit from Romanian car insurance (RCA) is for the car to be registred in Romania.

With other words. If you have a UK car with UK license plates, you actually need to import it in Romania (to get Romanian license plates). And trust me, those "polution taxes" to get a car registred in Romania are very high (and will definately eliminate any benefit you might have with a cheaper insurance)

And no, you can't get RCA ("liability insurance") with a non-Romanian registred car at a Romanian insurance company. And as mentioned before, if you want to own a car in Romania (with Romanian license plates) you can do so as a foreigner for maximum 30 days , or indefinate, in case you have residence in this country.

PS: full "casco" insurance CAN be issued by Romanian insurance companies for foreign registred cars  but is EXTREMELY expensive and is meant to cover any risk on the Romanian territory.