30E day fee for not registred car of residents

Hi,

I have question regarding this fee. We moved to Malta from Czech republic approximately 3 months ago, by our car, with information that we have to register our car within 3 month. Right now when I started the process I found that we have max 15! days from our arrival to Valleta to register our car otherwise we will pay 30E per day when is car not registred. I am totally confused, because we had accident and police man said nothing that we can have problem. It is bit scary,  because paying 900E is lots of money and we cant afford it :( We are not tourists, my girlfriend has job and I'm registered at ETC

when did you apply for ID cards ?

who is the registered owner of the car ?

You were to start the process as soon as you bring the car in to Malta, then they send you a letter advising you that you are allowed to drive here until all the registration is complete.  You should carry the letter in the car at all times just in case you are stopped by the police to show them that the request for registration is in the process.
I think you will need to contact Malta transport and explain the confusion. And take it from there.
Good Luck
Regards

who is the registered owner of the car ?
I am the registered owner

when did you apply for ID cards ?
As far as I remember we applied on 11.5.2012

Lesleyc:
Thank you, it seems that we will need luck

When you applied for your ID card, you also declared you no longer considered yourself a tourists, so you had 15 days from then to register the car.

How long have you owned the car ? More than 2 years ?

Hm that's not good, I hope that officers will understand situation.

I bought it 14.7.2010 so it will be 2 years soon. Does it matter?

And the car is 12 years old

IvanhoeIII wrote:

if you had owned it for 2 years you could have applied for an exemption from the registration tax

Hi Ivanhoelli,

someone gave you wrong advice.

Knowing TM it will mean paying up the fees like everybody importing a car into Malta has to.

What situation does TM have to understand?

Cheers
Ricky

georgeingozo wrote:
IvanhoeIII wrote:

if you had owned it for 2 years you could have applied for an exemption from the registration tax

Ok, I found form for this exemption. Thank you for help

Hi Ivanhoelli,

soon might be too late in your case.

As far as you remember the date that applies was 11.5. , which is 2 months short of 2 year !

Cheers
Ricky

Hi Ricky,

we will see because as I read through other forums it is always about people. However It is really strange that policeman at accident said nothing.

Did the Officer ask if you had ID cards ??

Perhaps quickly shipping the car over to Italy and then either disposing of it there or alternatively bring it back and start the registration process again is a possibility???