Tax question

If a person is a UK citizen and moves to Saudi for work, are they subject to UK tax? Just wondering as we are thinking through the logistics at the moment. We own our own home in the UK (well, mortgaged) which we rent out currently as we are working abroad. If I and the children went back to the UK to live would their dad pay tax working in Saudi (the plan being for one or two years until the UK economy - hopefully - picks up). Any advice welcome.

Hello Helen321.

For more visibility, your post has been moved to the Saudi Arabia forum.

Maybe you can post your questions on the England forum as well.

Thank you,
Aurélie

You asked this somewhere else too, I answered it there.

@ gashead :lol:

Helen

As long as your husband follows the none Dom rules he will not be subject to tax currently! The HMRC are trying to reduce the opportunities for the none domicile rules. The last budget reduced some of the opportunities which will come into effect next April who knows what will happen in next years budget. Have a look on the HMRC web site for all the details. You and the kids in the UK will not affect your husbands tax status as you are both taxed separately.

Helen321 wrote:

If a person is a UK citizen and moves to Saudi for work, are they subject to UK tax? Just wondering as we are thinking through the logistics at the moment. We own our own home in the UK (well, mortgaged) which we rent out currently as we are working abroad. If I and the children went back to the UK to live would their dad pay tax working in Saudi (the plan being for one or two years until the UK economy - hopefully - picks up). Any advice welcome.

Hello Helen321,

There are lots of rules concerning residency with HMRC as to whether an individual is classed as UK Resident, UK Resident but not Ordinarily Resident, Not UK Resident, Temporarily Resident etc.

Factors such as the employment contract being from a UK company or Local company, connections back in the UK, date of leaving the UK and if leaving part way through a tax year if then eligible for split-year treatment with HMRC, if you are planning to permanently leave the UK or return within so many years after leaving the UK, the list goes on!

It is a very complex issue and I would advise that you seek professional assistance tailored to your personal circumstances.

You have mentioned that you have rental income from your UK property. I hope you are aware that this income is subject to UK tax regardless of whether you are resident in the UK or not.