Nz tax on income earn in Saudi

Hi everybody,

Just wondering if anybody has any idea if you will get taxed on income that you earn in Saudi.  And, if you do, can you prevent it somehow?? Any nzers out there know anything about this??

Thanks,
Helen  :)

No in Saudi you will not be taxed anything on your income :) The main reason for people coming to the GULF region. However, Your country might have some different laws/regulations for taxes....

thanks for that, I am already here and have been earning tax free salary for a few months now.  But it is the tax in my own country that I am worried about, without knowing until I return maybe?? that's why I was hoping that a nzer who has already looked into it may know??

look at your tax code.

it isn't that hard.
most countries have a foreign earned income exclusion.  US says you have to be out of the country for X amount of days.

One of my colleagues is from NZ and he told me to google a document called New Zealand tax residence - Who is a New Zealand resident for tax purposes (IR292).  The document he has is dated August, 2008 - there might be a newer version of this.

Good luck.

thanks for this  :)

helenfromnz wrote:

thanks for that, I am already here and have been earning tax free salary for a few months now.  But it is the tax in my own country that I am worried about, without knowing until I return maybe?? that's why I was hoping that a nzer who has already looked into it may know??

Hi actually my hubby asked the IRD just recently as he is now processing his docs to go to Jeddah soon and we are to follow after.  We are currently here in Auckland.

IRD says if you don't have any property left behind or any connections that you can come home to (like an ongoing rental agreement while you are away) then it is automatic nothing to pay when you come back home to NZ. But of course every person have a different situation.  Better ask IRD or email them to be sure.

Problem is you must save your money from a different bank if you could better in OZ or anywhere as every time you send money to your NZ bank naturally they will tax you. 

I hope this helps.  :) 
Looking forward going to Jeddah although we are still a bit afraid of what lies ahead... How are you there?
Regards,
Evelyn