A good place to live in Saigon?

Hi gang,

There is a good chance that I might have to move to Saigon because of work.  I wonder, where is a good place to live there?

I am a single Vietnamese-American guy, with simple tastes and an easy going personality.  I won't have much problem in getting around the city or connecting with my new neighbors.  I also won't need awhole lot of space and furnishings to survive.  But, I will definitely need a little fresh air, some greeneries, and a certain degree of tranquility.

Is there such a pocket left in Saigon?  At what cost?

Thanks, guys.
Howie

Wild_1 wrote:

Hi gang,

There is a good chance that I might have to move to Saigon because of work.  I wonder, where is a good place to live there?

I am a single Vietnamese-American guy, with simple tastes and an easy going personality.  I won't have much problem in getting around the city or connecting with my new neighbors.  I also won't need awhole lot of space and furnishings to survive.  But, I will definitely need a little fresh air, some greeneries, and a certain degree of tranquility.

Thanks, guys.
Howie

What do you mean by a good place and how much are you willing to pay?

Just come back from a briefing from Saville (one of the leading real estate consultants) about the current real estate in SGN.

Here are some of their market data from Q2/2012 (rough numbers):
D2 33
Binh Thanh 30
D7 21
Tan Binh 21
Binh Chanh 15
Tan Phu 15
D8   18
Binh Tan 15
Thu Duc 16
Nha Be  14

The price is million VND/sq m. Yield is about 9%, so you can calculate the rent price to be, say for Binh Tan: 15 000 0000* 9% /12 = 112 500 VND/sq m per month.
Price is average for the area, which can be a bit misleading given the mix of buildings, but at least it'll give you some indication.

If fresh air, some greeneries, tranquility and I assume certain housing standard and not extreme distance to the center, I believe your option is down to D2, D7 and Binh Thanh. Lower price than that, you'll not get at least one of your criteria (if not all) met.

In addition to that, add some more for furniture, service fees (if high end apt).

Wild_1 wrote:

Hi gang,

Thanks, guys.
Howie

There is a room in Binh Thanh Dist. at the crossroad of D2 St. and Ung Van Khiem St. 10~15 min to the city center

30m2 with a toilet, place to cook (you have to buy your own kitchen stuff), parking, unfurnished, 130 bucks a month. would you like to come to check? please message me if you are interested

Check out CraigsList VietNam for openings.

Good morning fellas,

I have some friends over in D2.  I think it is mostly single homes over there, right?  I don't think I need that; I need more like apartments. 

And I need to know a general area that you guys think is good and a price point because I haven't been there as often as I should.

Also, I am a fairly active guy too.  I need athletic facilities nearby.  I am not too worry about distance to the city center, though.

Thanks again.

D2 has also many apartments, although mostly high end, although more affordable ones like Hoàng Anh Gia Lai D2 do exist.

Public sport facilities are many in most districts, but you'll have to find a group that is compatible with you (level, social skills). It is not easy so one may have to drive a bit for exercising. With motorbike, it is OK.

Best you drive around and find the area you like. Start with D2, D7 and Binh Thanh.

Anatta,

Thanks for the tips.  I will take a look at them, the next time I go to Saigon.

Isn't the K1 Factory in D2 now? Been interested in checking it out when I get over, seems like a good place. But then it's more to do with MMA, BJJ etc rather then a straight up gym.