Best way to find apartment District 7/Phu My Hung?

We are moving to HCMC in about a month and will be living in Phu My Hung, near my husband's work/son's school. We're looking for an apartment near (in?) the "Panorama" building.

What are the best web sites to look for District 7 apartments on? (not too easy here where they are not sortable by district)

Anyone have first hand experience of visiting or living in any of the buildings close to the "Panorama" complex is?

Any help, recommendations would be appreciated!

Thank you :)

Hello, we moved to Phu My Hung last year and settled in Garden Court, which is close to Panorama. 

I recommend Asia Tigers for their home search and settling in help,they were excellent.
asiantigers-mobility.com/singapore/home.aspx

Our rental agent is A Dhong Home, which also provide good service adonghome.com/house_apartment_for_rent_district_7_phu_my_hung.html

I wish you a stress-free move. 
Sonja

Hi and welcome to the forum Naunet!

Maybe you could try browsing the Ho Chi Minh City housing section.
You may also post an advert to define your criterias.

Good luck
Armand

It is advisable on so many levels to do your apartment search in person.

Put up at a hotel for a week or so and do your searching. Many apartments are privately owned and the owners often post in the many web sites devoted to HCMC and CraigsList VietNam where agents and owners compete for business. Reading CraigsList makes you knowledgeable for pricing which allows you to make better choices.

One month of your rental is an agents commission and knowing this two similar apartments can be rubbed together to see if you can get one at a better price.

And don't don''t go asking for the monthly rental. Ask: What do I have to pay all in, per month?

You  will be required, usually, to deposit two moths rent (no interest paid) as a security/damage deposit. PLUS you will have to pay first months rent.

Cable TV is often included in building management fees as they have master contracts. Water is metered and on credit, as is electricity - no one can legally sell metered electricity except the VN electric company.

There will be parking fees, there might be key deposits, standby generator fuel, etc.

The large supermarkets are outside Phu My Hung Ward, which means you need wheels/transportation for shopping/everything.

By all means circle your choices but, as I said, never rent until you've seen a few.

The old realty maxim: Location, location, location doesn't apply in VietNam.

Apartment rentals only a kilometre or two away are half of what PMH collect. Have you had any input from the school as to where to look or how they can help?

Join the PhuMyHungNeighbours Group (not one of my web sites) as there are a fair number of apartments advertised because with the rocky economy many Foreign execs are pulling out. All sorts of 'junk' is for sale along with the vacated apartments.

hello Jaitch, regarding your comment about large supermarkets I think you have forgotten Lotte Mart and Giant Supermarket (Giant is in the Crescent and opened late 2011, so maybe you don't know it ). 

Furthermore, the Citimart which is opposite Panorama is quite well stocked, though not as large as Lotte and Giant, will deliver.

Sonjat wrote:

hello Jaitch, regarding your comment about large supermarkets I think you have forgotten Lotte Mart and Giant Supermarket (Giant is in the Crescent and opened late 2011, so maybe you don't know it ). 

Furthermore, the Citimart which is opposite Panorama is quite well stocked, though not as large as Lotte and Giant, will deliver.

Neither the over-priced Lotte nor Giants are in Phu My Hung and both require transportation to reach them from PMH unless you are a marathon walker. They are in Quan 7 but it's kind of large.

I shop at the Giants regularly, even popping in for bread for breakfast. Giants prices parallel Co-op Mart but don't have the affinity discount card.

There are Circle K, etc. mini-stores all over which are great for lazy people with money to waste.

One of my clients is a Professional Shopper, all he does is travel the country checking prices, etc. Lotte is about 10% higher than average prices.

Hi Sonjat and Jaitch,

Thank you so much for your extensive answers and for your very useful tips! We'll be coming with our dog, so unfortunately temporary housing will be difficult, however we are being helped by my husband's company.

Once again, I really appreciate your help and suggestions. Thank you Jaitch, in particular, for pointing out all the extra fees to keep our eye out for!

I am a dog lover and will happily recommend a good vet and tell you about keeping your dog safe.
Just send a message if you need any help.

Sonja

Naunet wrote:

Hi Sonjat and Jaitch,

Thank you so much for your extensive answers and for your very useful tips! We'll be coming with our dog, so unfortunately temporary housing will be difficult, h

Ever flown with Bowser?

Experienced dog flyers recommend:
-No food on day of flight;
-NO drugs to make Bowser sleep or drowsy;
-Water dish (and small bottles of water) in cage (if security gets stupid, empty bottles and refill at water fountain airside);
-Get all shots up to date AND with signed/stamped vet certificate;
-A signed/stamped letter certifying Bowser is healthy LESS than 30 days before travel;
-Label cage in French/Vietnamese(Sống động vật)/English LIVE ANIMAL (Copy these into Notepad and print) and also a name of VN friend with cell number;

When you land in TP Ho Chi Minh the dog will be found at the Baggage Desk on the Left-hand side (as you descend) of the ground floor baggage area.

You will be allowed to take Bowser with you (no quarantine here) BUT you must get a Vietnamese translation of the Vet's letter and give it to the Custom's guys within 30 days. VN is big in Rabies.

Pet owners in Phu My Hung report a lot of animal kidnapping, even in parks with owners attached with leashes.

P.S. When I was in HongKong recently I bought a GPS dog tracker that uses the cell system to track the animal. We use GSM cells in VN. I use the tracker to see where my young teenage daughter is on her electric bicycle!

From my experience, Phu My Hung is no worse than other locations throughout the city for dog theft. Sadly this can happen everywhere.

Thanks again Sonjat and Jaitch. We're fortunate to have the help of my husband's employer but nonetheless all the tips and suggestions are very helpful.

Looking forward to exploring all of Ho Chi Minh, even if Phu My Hung will be our base.

Thanks again!

hoanguyenp wrote:

Hi

I'm moving house next month so is planning to rent out my two bedroom apartment in District 7 - not particularly Phu My Hung but around 1km from it. Better value for money I think.

If you are interested, email me at [email protected] and I can send you more pictures and details. Happy to help out with other things if I can.

Hoa

What is the name of the street or the nearest intersection. Most anywhere offers a better deal than PMH - those three letters sure command a surcharge.

OK, I'll pass the info to a friend.

Thanks

Hi Naunet,

Have you found apartment in Phu My Hung ? I can offer apartment at Garden Court 1 which is next to Panorama, that one of the most convenient place to live where you can have easy access to services and shipping, the location also has peaceful and spacious view.

In case of your interest, you can call me and we can show you that apartment.

BRGS
Tuan

Hi Tuan > could you please post this in the housing in Ho Chi Minh City section? Thank you.

To Naunet,
HAGL swimming Pools are  great as well just a little info..

Hi Naunet,

Probably a little late to chime in here but I'd like to contribute my experience living in Saigon since Feb this year. I spent the whole first month of my time here researching and dealing with dodgy landlords and greedy real-estate agents.

I ended up going with this company: http://www.apato.com.vn/
I've spent the last 6 months vetting them and they've been pretty good so far and they don't require a deposit either. The owner also offers some free yoga to tennants as he also owns a yoga business in Saigon.

Jaitch wrote:

Neither the over-priced Lotte nor Giants are in Phu My Hung and both require transportation to reach them from PMH unless you are a marathon walker. They are in Quan 7 but it's kind of large.

Jaitch, even though it seems I beg to differ with you on many subjects, I want you to know that I and others here very much appreciate your contributions to the forum.

Now, another "beg-to-differ".... With regard to what IS and ISN'T in Phu My Hung... Given that I have been a (at first temporary, now full-time) resident of PMH since the Nguyen Van Linh was a two-lane road, I would like to weigh in and say that most reasonable people familiar with PMH would say its non-official boundaries are on both sides of the Nguyen Van Linh corridor between Nguyen Huu Tho and Nguyen Luong Bang streets, as well as both sides of the Nguyen Luong Bang corridor from FV Hospital to Hoang Quoc Viet street. Furthermore, residents of the high rise accessed from Hoang Quoc Viet street probably consider themselves residents of PMH as well. I live on the Nguyen Luong Bang corridor, and my mailing address is Tan Phu Ward, PHU MY HUNG, Q7. So, given those parameters, I really don't understand several comments you've made on this and past threads regarding this or that is NOT in PMH. It is misleading to folks who may be considering a move there. You ARE correct that getting around the PMH area requires some type of transport - at least a bicycle, and I agree with you that Lotte Mart is not in PMH, but to say the new Cresent Mall is NOT in PMH is, at the very least misleading, if not just plain wrong.

Please visit the site:

http://apartment-villa.net/

You will get all information about apartments and villas in District 7.

Regards,

anne_realestate wrote:

Please visit the site:

http://apartment-villa.net/

You will get all information about apartments and villas in District 7.

Regards,

Anne,did you notice the thread was nearly two years old

But there are many people who are currently finding properties to rent. They maybe visit this topic and need some help.
That why the topic has been available for 2 years.

Do you see that?

But your properties are quiet pricey  :D

anne_realestate wrote:

But there are many people who are currently finding properties to rent. They maybe visit this topic and need some help.That why the topic has been available for 2 years.Do you see that?

[moderated: no ads pls]

charmavietnam wrote:

But your properties are quiet pricey  :D

anne_realestate wrote:

But there are many people who are currently finding properties to rent. They maybe visit this topic and need some help.That why the topic has been available for 2 years.Do you see that?

No, her deals are normal Phu My Hung. Sky Garden is very pricey.

You provide much helpful information. Before I used to look for an apartment in Phu My Hung, I'm Vietnamese. I took me a lot of time until I decided to rent a private house then I will share it with my friends, considering it of my small business. What is a personal or your need, I hope you will feel here.

saigonmonkey wrote:

but to say the new Cresent Mall is NOT in PMH is, at the very least misleading, if not just plain wrong.

Just found this comment.

The divisions that matter are those assigned by the Peoples Committee of HCM. And the wards are assigned by the subsidiary Peoples Committees.

The Crescent Mall address is:
Nguyen Van Linh Parkway, Tan Phu Ward
District 7, Ho Chi Minh City

OR

CRESCENT MALL
101 Ton Dat Tien, Tan Phu Ward,
Quan 7, Ho Chi Minh City

FV Hospital
6 Nguyen Luong Bang, Tan Phu Ward
District 7, Ho Chi Minh City

Phu My Hung is an adjacent Ward or Phuong. The border is the water.
Road Map of Tan Phu
Wards of Quan 7
Bình Thuận, Phú Mỹ, Phú Thuận, Tân Hưng, Tân Kiểng, Tân Phong, Tân Phú, Tân Quy, Tân Thuận Đông, Tân Thuận Tây

mind to provide me more information ?
thank you

ANDY

(moderated: please post in the housing section)