I have a holiday home in Malta - documentation required to buy a car?

Hi All,

Does anyone know what documents are required to buy a maltese car if I am not a Maltese resident; my situation is this; I have a holiday home in Malta which was bought 20+ years ago. The home is used by our extended family and every year we are spending way too much on hire cars. We'd like to buy a cheap jallopa for getting to the beach etc.

Can a non-resident with a maltese address own a car in Malta?

Thanks,

Joe

Hi Joe,
We too have an apartment in Malta and we are non resident but visit Malta a lot. We bought a car there four years ago, no problem, from a car dealer. We have recently had a car which we already owned imported into Malta from the UK. This did require some documentation. However we do now have a Fiat Punto for sale for 750 euros if you are interested which is the one we purchased there originally.
Caroline

Hi Caroline,

Thanks for that. We might indeed be interested in the Punto, although I did have something bigger in mind. How much do you currently pay for insurance and road tax etc?

My in-laws are in Malta now and we're down in Malta in Aug. so we could view it / exchange anytime, when you there?  Send me some pictures and description of the car if you would.

I am not sure how this forum works, I assume etiquette means we take this off-forum? Are you able to see my email address?

best,

Joe

Joe, I sent you a private message.