Are there no dried split peas to be had in Cuenca?

I have scoured the main markets for split peas to no avail. Has anyone spotted them somewhere?

I tried to make my soup with the whole dried peas but hated it. You have to pre-soak the whole peas for an eternity, plus the skins from the peas come off in your soup and you have to fish them out. Yuck!

I don't live there yet, but we've been doing a lot of research and I understand you CAN get lentils there. Lentils are cousins of split peas and I use the same recipes interchangeably depending on which one I have on hand. Both lentils and split peas offer the advantage of not needing a soak before cooking. Lentils are far more nutritious, have the same fiber content and are really considered a super food. I cook the lentils with cut up onions, peppers, garlic and some Italian seasoning. Try adding the juice of half a lemon or lime in the last few minutes of cooking your lentil soup. Mmmmm good!

Nice suggestion. I am trying really hard to like the lentil bean. I will keep working on it.

Hey, another thing you can do is ask an expat friend to pick up some packages of split peas for you when they go back to the states and bring them back in their checked luggage. We used to live in Mexico and would do this all the time for each other. They probably can't bring a lot, but if it's something you really enjoy, even a couple of packages would be nice.

BTW, amigo.  I know I've seen dried split peas at Supermaxi but, like many things, this may not be a regularly stocked item.

I finally got some split peas last week.  When all else fails, there is Ebay. I ordered a 4-pack for $11.75 and had it shipped here in a USPS Priority Mail International Flat Rate Envelope at $16.95 for a total of $28.70. The post office charged me a dollar when I went to pick it up. So the average per cost of each bag of split peas was $7.40. I don't plan to make a habit out of it, but once or twice or year I will indulge.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/4-Pack-Dry-Green-Split-Peas-Bag-of-14-oz-397-g-Arvejas-Partidas-Verdes-/00/s/NjgzWDEwMjQ=/$%28KGrHqJHJEME+cy6rtM6BQPHJf8Tdg~~60_57.JPG

P.S.
Note the word for peas on the bag is Chicharo which apparently is what they call them in Mexico. Here in Ecuador they call them arvejas, while in Spain they supposedly call them guisantes.

By the way, one of the bags was cut open, which makes me think customs looked inside to see if I was trying to disguise cocaine as little dried peas.

Try sprouting your lentils and having them is salad. Lentil sprouts are a super food. Look it up.