Boarding school - guest family in Wallonie or France

A friend of mine, living in Dubai, would like to put her 17 year son in a boarding school in Belgium (Wallonie) or France.

Can anyone recommend a good & affordable boarding school, which also allows pupils to stay over during the weekend...

Alternatively, she looks for a guest family who can take the boy during weekends.

Suggestions, ideas welcome !

Peter

You can research on boarding schools in France on the internet. However, I assume your friend's daughter knows French already. It is better to have a little background of the language before deciding to go there. See these language schools that offers languages course in a more creative and exciting way.

English language schools
cursos aleman alemania
sprachreisen england
estudiar italiano en Italia

Other languages are offered on the site,you may check them for additional information.

or you he can search international school, like in Strasbourg. They can stay for the week-end when they live abroad.

Thanks for the tips.. Does anyone have personal experiences with any of these? The lady in question is concerned to send off her son (for the first time).

P.

My advice would be to narrow it down to a few that are recommended. There are English speaking agents in most countries that offer advice. Once she has a few options make sure she visits these schools in person.

Yes there are a few schools in Strasbourg that take pupils at the weekend - someone told me this the other day but didn't know the name of the school. i suppose a quick google search for "schools in Strasbourg" might yield some results. Good luck.

On the assumption that he's a French-speaker, it's worth noting that many public schools (not English-style public schools, but French 'state' public schools) have weekly boarding facilities in France ('internat'). The costs are extremely low. However they don't offer weekend boarding I'm afraid. As a cheap alternative though it's a good option, if you can find a host family (famille d'accueil) for the Friday and Saturday night as well.

There are also some state 'international' schools that are reasonably priced - I had an older daughter at one once, near Aix en Provence. Think 50% of the lessons were in French, 50% in English. Led to the international baccalaureat.

Otherwise the only private operation I've experience of is a British boarding school in Les Houches near Chamonix - aimed at ski racers... sorry!

There is also a international school at Toulouse
http://www.ibo.org/fr/school/001203/=) A very good one !

I suggest that you search over the net for boarding schools in France. It will surely lead you to different list of boarding school. Once you got the list, narrow it down to those that are recommended. Remember that you must consider important factors such as academic success of students, social environment and the needs that must be met to reach fullest potential. Finally, visit the school (the one chosen) for more details that you want to know.