Hello from Zagreb

Hello all,

I'm Matt Hollingsworth, a guy from Southern California now living in the western suburb of Gajnice in Zagreb, Croatia. 

My blog is here:

http://matthollingsworth.blogspot.com/

I've been in Zagreb for 4 months now and have no intention of leaving.  We'll see over time, but for now I am here.  I started a "firma", a company, and have a renewable one year business visa here.  I work remotely for Marvel Comics as a color artist.  So, really, I can live anywhere with a reliable internet connection and electricity.  I have friends here and visited last summer and liked it a lot.   I had been in LA working on special effects for feature films, but wanted to go back to comics (which I've worked on for 16 years) and knew that I also wanted to leave LA, which I was not digging.  So, Croatia is where I went.

I brought my cats, rented a furnished apartment and with the tremendous help of my friends, made it here intact.   I'm past the honeymoon stage and still like it.  I'm learning the language, slowly but surely and have a local girlfriend who's really great.  So, life is good.

Anyway, hello to everyone.

Živio,

-Matt

Welcome on board Matt!

I can live anywhere with a reliable internet connection and electricity.

Very good thing isn't it? :)

All my wishes of success in your "firma"!

Thanks!

Yes, it's good.  The only bummer is HOW MUCH effort it takes to pull it off.  Ack!

How do you guys get those cool little flag symbols in your signature?

Have a look here: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=689;)

Cool!  Thanks!

hello mark,

how is Zagreb? we are going to move to zagreb shortly and would like to know how you are and how is life there?

have you already made friends with some guys? how is work and your girlfriend/wife.
any major improvements in speaking the croatian language?

best wishes
Sophia

Hello Sophia,

My name's Matt, though.

;)

I like it here.  Life is a bit slower than in the States.  Not dead slow, but not crazy either.  There IS traffic here if you have to drive into the center at rush hour times. 

Food ranges from amazing to crap.  It's really great in many places, though.  I've found some places that are consistently bad, though.   Vinodol, Korčula and Pepperoncini in the centar are always amazing.  Boban is pretty good but the waiters suck.  Sometimes tiny restaurants, called a "Konoba" offer the best food, simple, fresh and tasty.

I've found it easy to make friends at the local cafe.  Usually people are very friendly.  I've found some older people who are real drunks at the pub can be annoying though.  I'm 38, so not being ageist.  I just mean some older folks who are neighborhood drunks.  Steer clear of them, obviously.  They're attracted to English for some reason, even when they speak none themselves.

I'm studying the language, slow and steady.  It's difficult, but if you're consistent with it, you get better slowly over time. 

Happy to answer whatever questions you have.

best,

-Matt

Oh, forgot to answer the girlfriend question.  I have a local girlfriend.  And she's great!

Meet expats all over the world

OR