New Delhi english?

Is Delhi a good city to learn english?
I know it would be better if I go to USA for example but I'm  really fany with this country and I want learn more about this culture... What do you mean about that?

Hi mandy13i!

Welcome to Expat.com!

Armand

Yeah, education in India is quite cheap, and the books are curriculum are based on 'British English'.
But it comes with a very strong 'Indian Accent'

Bangalore's a better place to learn English

Humchi Mumbai

yes it is a good country to learn english and everything als

try JNU university in New Delhi, or Delhi University
what level of english are you trying to learn?

learn it from me!

If you learn English with an Indian accent, sorry but only Indians will be able to understand you!

if you learn English with American accent sorry only American will know you :P

try British accent ;)

Alliecat wrote:

If you learn English with an Indian accent, sorry but only Indians will be able to understand you!

wilson_derry wrote:

if you learn English with American accent sorry only American will know you :P

try British accent ;)

Alliecat wrote:

Okay, but only if it's a London accent (like Hugh Grant lol).

In my opinion she wants to learn English Language and not the accent, as in  she wants to learn grammar vocab etc etc. So I don't think so it matters wherever you learn it from !! :)

saimans wrote:

In my opinion she wants to learn English Language and not the accent, as in  she wants to learn grammar vocab etc etc. So I don't think so it matters wherever you learn it from !! :)

Grammar is fine and dandy but NOT if people can't understand you when you talk!

I'll give you an example.  I remember a Vietnamese guy in the US ... he knew he was coming a year ahead of time so he took lessons.. from a Vietnamese teacher.  When he got to the States, he couldn't understand anything anybody was saying and nobody could understand him.

Alliecat wrote:
saimans wrote:

I'll give you an example.  I remember a Vietnamese guy in the US ... he knew he was coming a year ahead of time so he took lessons.. from a Vietnamese teacher.  When he got to the States, he couldn't understand anything anybody was saying and nobody could understand him.

I agree, But For that you need to practice the accent of that particular location to be understood since you already know the basic of English !:)

saimans wrote:
Alliecat wrote:
saimans wrote:

I agree, But For that you need to practice the accent of that particular location to be understood since you already know the basic of English !:)

But for the woman here who wanted to learn English, she's not living in an English speaking country so when would she be able to practice the pronunciation/accent of an English speaking country?

And I'm not picking on India, although Indians can be particularly difficult to understand (so can Chinese).  When I was in the University, I knew a girl whose major was Russian Language and Studies.  She received straight A's.

She was in grad school when the Russian dept. had a trip to Russia. I went along and this girl was in TEARS because she couldn't understand anybody and they couldn't understand her.

You see, she had learned Russian from an American teacher, not a native speaker, so she learned Russian with an American accent, totally different from how the natives speak.

Hi Mandy,

well, i guess you can learn english here....but not in this forum for sure, it seems more of debate training here :P

regards

Aamit

Aamit wrote:

Hi Mandy,

well, i guess you can learn english here....but not in this forum for sure, it seems more of debate training here :P

regards

Aamit

Right Buddy !! :lol::lol:

Aamit wrote:

Hi Mandy,

regards

Aamit

She posted ONCE. She's looooooong gone, I suspect!

saimans wrote:
Aamit wrote:

Hi Mandy,

regards

Aamit

Right Buddy !! :lol::lol:

Oh,  well okay.. let me go to GREECE and learn Hindi from a GREEK guy because that would be a cheap place to go.

Blah :P

Alliecat wrote:

Or she might have learnt English on this forum !! :P

saimans wrote:
Alliecat wrote:

Or she might have learnt English on this forum !! :P

Hmmm..wonder what her pronunciation is like :lol:

As far as the word "suspect" is concerned, that ship has already sailed....refer to the word "offline" below her picture, you'll has a "sure" kinda opinion ;)

Cheers

Alliecat wrote:
Aamit wrote:

Hi Mandy,

regards

Aamit

Aamit wrote:

As far as the word "suspect" is concerned, that ship has already sailed....refer to the word "offline" below her picture, you'll has a "sure" kinda opinion ;)

Cheers

Alliecat wrote:
Aamit wrote:

Hi Mandy,

regards

Aamit

She posted ONCE, on May 10th.  That's different than being 'offline.'

Wilson is offline, too, but his last post was this morning!

yeaa i was offline, i went to meet one teacher she agreed to teach American accent :P

Alliecat wrote:
Aamit wrote:

Cheers

Alliecat wrote:

She posted ONCE, on May 10th.  That's different than being 'offline.'

Wilson is offline, too, but his last post was this morning!

Congrats saimans welcome to VIP TEAM.

sorry im off topic

saimans wrote:

wilson_derry wrote:

Thanx Wilson !! BTW, I hope there is no twisted meaning to the VIP..!! :lol::lol:

:lol::lol: if there  is any emergency Vip will be rescued first..remember Titanic :P

saimans wrote:
wilson_derry wrote:

Thanx Wilson !! BTW, I hope there is no twisted meaning to the VIP..!! :lol::lol:

wilson_derry wrote:

:lol::lol: if there  is any emergency Vip will be rescued first..remember Titanic :P

saimans wrote:
wilson_derry wrote:

He's a JR VIP now.  It means he's my servant :D

Who

Alliecat wrote:
wilson_derry wrote:

saimans wrote:

He's a JR VIP now.  It means he's my servant :D

wilson_derry wrote:

Who

saimans.  Unless *you* are volunteering? ;)

Alliecat wrote:

It means he's my servant :D

:blink:

saimans wrote:
Alliecat wrote:

It means he's my servant :D

:blink:

oh yesssssssssss.. Julien didn't explain this to you??? :lol:

Alliecat wrote:

No he didn't, you could have done that effeciently too without getting tired !! :P

saimans wrote:
Alliecat wrote:

No he didn't, you could have done that effeciently too without getting tired !! :P

:dumbom:

Ouch Kat... You do fight.. no wonder the nick. :)

But I thinks.. I can correct you on that.. :)
The darn accents come in .. cause of what ever language is your base.. so if you learn english.. and 've been (using american english now)  using french for decades.. I guess.. You will have a french accent.. nothing more.. nothing less... and years of use of proper and grammatically correct english with people around in the same environment could correct it.. but I thinks.. it will remain the same..or will still have traces of it. Of course you can correct me.. when ever you want to. :)

And as far Delhi English is concerned.. I would go far out on a limb and call it Hinglish.. as we Indians do call... it.. But I guess, Thats another thing...Then there is Irish English.. do I need to go on.. I guess not.. have a friend yelling for.. with cold DRINKS waiting CIAO.. :)

deciimal wrote:

Ouch Kat... You do fight.. no wonder the nick. :)

But I thinks.. I can correct you on that.. :)
The darn accents come in .. cause of what ever language is your base.. so if you learn english.. and 've been (using american english now)  using french for decades.. I guess.. You will have a french accent.. nothing more.. nothing less... and years of use of proper and grammatically correct english with people around in the same environment could correct it.. but I thinks.. it will remain the same..or will still have traces of it. Of course you can correct me.. when ever you want to. :)

And as far Delhi English is concerned.. I would go far out on a limb and call it Hinglish.. as we Indians do call... it.. But I guess, Thats another thing...Then there is Irish English.. do I need to go on.. I guess not.. have a friend yelling for.. with cold DRINKS waiting CIAO.. :)

Of course you're right--you guys don't have any trouble understanding ONE ANOTHER! :D

But bear with me:  say a bunch of Americans studied Hindi in the USA with an American teacher who learned Hindi at an American school from an American teacher and so on and so on.

Do you think you'd be able to easily understand *us*?  LOL  And.. what would *you* think if I insisted that my Hindi pronunciation was perfect, that it was YOUR hearing at fault?

:D