Working in Brussels - Income expectations?

Hello everyone,

I have been through any generic information provided for costs but I would like to know the tips for monthly expenses, as well as what would be a satisfactory monthly net income to assure quality of life in Brussels?
Let's say would you suggest flat-sharing and how possible,common and safe is to share a flat, instead of renting on my own - given that my budget for housing would be around 600-700 euros? Is electricity included in the rent cost of an apartment, if not how much could this cost be for an 50m flat?
Are there any additional taxes - despite the taxes deducted from the monthly gross salary that I should take into account?

Thank you for your time in advance,

Eleni

Hi Eleni and welcome to Expat.com!

Hope that you'll soon be enlightened.;)

Harmonie.

House sharing starts at 300 euro a month in a student-type accommodation, no idea what people do about energy bill.

The smallest studio / 1 bed flat will cost from 500 euro a month in Brussels. You'll need either a guarantee from the bank for the 2 months security deposit (you pay a fee to the bank for it) or you will need the equivalent of 2 months of rent in cash which you put into a blocked account and cannot withdraw it without the signature of your landlord. You are expected to keep accommodation in the same condition in which it was when you start a rental contract, all small maintenance charges are the responsibility of the tenant. Avoid ALL fixed contracts, unless you have a crystal ball and know you are 100% going to live somewhere for 1 years or 2 years etc. Most people take 9 year contracts, your rights are better protected and indemnity amounts are less if you leave early, whereas with a fixed contract you are obliged to pay for the full term of the contract, even if you leave 1 year or 2 early!!

If renting a flat for 500 a month, you'll realistically need a net salary of 1500 a month. You usually get payment not only in cash in Belgium eg meal cheques, company car, private medical top-up insurance, public transport costs are common "perks" on top of salary.

PS electricity, heating, hot water, sometimes these or a provision for these are included in the monthly "charges" for flats, it is completely individual to the flat the building is in and the landlord. Our 150m2 house costs about 160 euro a month for gas and electricity, 25 euro a month for supply of water / water disposal. We also pay an annual tax to Brussels region per household which last year was just under 100 euro. You pay national income tax and national social security from your salary. Depending on circumstances, you might get a refund or even get a further bill every tax year for national tax. In addition you also pay income tax to your "commune". I don't earn enough to known how much this commune income tax is.

Thank you for your time and feedback.

It was really helpful!

Best Regards,

Eleni