Info on life in Amman, Jordan

Thanks for the quick reply.
I did some research and was advised to live in Abdoun or Sewifeia!
I see rents range from 9000 to 14000 JD per year for furnished apartments but i didn't like the furniture much. I prefer modern furniture which is not readily available.

I am looking for a decent area, 3 bedroom apartment with garden or big terrace.
Can you advise the average cost of furniture?

Well ,u have picked the most expensive areas in Amman for sure,Very high class areas..Nice Pick.
About the Cost of the Furniture u looking for the rooms with modern furniture,Ikea Store in Makkah st + Home Center inside Makkah Mall had the be I ever seen in Jordan and so many options to pick from ..
About the Cost: if u buy from Ikea or Home Center for 3 rooms I am sure it would cost more than 4000 JD-but if u shop in Mid Class area u might find what u looking for ,for less but u need to look harder..Mid.Class cost sure less than 4000 JD ..
Later

Thanks a million again.
Never knew that Ikea is available in Amman. that is really good especially if they are moderately priced.
Are there cheaper options for areas to live in (that remain decent to move around?). Can I get an unfurnished apartment for 400 JD per month? thanks again

Sure u can find unfurnished apartment for 400JD and less but for sure not in Abdoon or Swafia..But is not easy to find..

Try Marj Al Hammam, Abu Nsair, Dahaayat Al Rasheed,
Duwar al Waha, Dabouk-- Al Raabia', Gardens, Duwar al Daakhaliya--Medina Al Riyaadiya--

1. Marj Al Hammam--is wonderful but it is a good 15 minute drive outside Amman. I lived there and adored my Apartment--GO to Prince Hamza Street and they have unfurnished apartments and Apartment Hunters ...ask for Abu Muhammad Manaseer Abaadi if you go to Prince Hamza St. in Marj Al Hammam. He will help you or atleast direct you where to go.

2. Abu Nusair and Dahaayat Al Rasheed- It is also outside Amman somewhat, but a part of Amman. It is more cut off so you will need to be prepared for figuring out transportation . But there are really really nice unfurnished and Furnished apartments there --but the really nice furnished apartments run from JD900-1400/month--and they usually all have gardens and terraces, and very modern furniture. GO to Hayy al Jaama3- or al Mismar and they have really nice furnished studios  or one or two bedroom apartments there for like JD 450-650/month.

Go to Duwaar Al Waha-- THere is an office above the DHL and they do search for apartments--ask for Abu Laith

You can go to Medina Al Riyadiya --Hay Al Kharaabshah next to the small Pharmacy and there are nice nice apartments in that area.

Abdoun is great but it is cut off from all the local shops and you'd have to take taxis to go and do your normal shopping or find a Dukkaan(Small shop that sells snacks, toiletries, ect...)

There are many nice places in Amman to live! Just have to go to the local shops and small supermarkets--dakkakeen(small tiny little shops that sell candy and odds and inns--) Alot of times you will need a taxi or a rental car to go for a full few days to a week in order to go apartment hunting. And then you can furnish your apartment once you find an apartment.

hi i really need help

im considering going to the royal academy of culinary arts
and they doesnot have housing for students im 20 years old,
so i was thinking of renting an apartment or a studio it will be just me so how much money will that range from ? the academy is in dabouq area is it a safe place to rent an apartment?
i was considering getting a job anywhere related to the culinary field will be good but if i donot find any i will do anything.

will i be needing a car or can i take taxis?

how safe is the area to live by myself ?

thanks

nahnouha Abdon is very safe area but very expensive to live there,to rent an apt or studio there u need budget between $500-$900,if u live little far u would safe money,taxi might run $2-$3 ..u might be able to get a Job..
It is safe to live alone but if u can find a girl roommate would save u money.I guess ..
So it is ur budget and what u want ..
Abdon nice and safe but hight cost -There are close by "Alwaibdah" nice safe and low cost but u need taxi or a car ..
Good Luck
Chris

Hello;

I am visiting Jordan in a month, but something financially happened to me after i have booked my flight, so I am bit tight financially.
I 've found a hotel, with breakfast
I am going to go to petra using the public transport and a friend is taking to most landmarks actually
But i am a bit embarassed to ask him, if 800JD is enough for 5 days of pocket money???
Do you think it's enough, eating and just relaxing around and have a budget trip?

Thank

Just under 140JD a day (excluding accomodation?) for pocket money sounds like plenty if you are going budget. for food, u can spend as little as 0.75JD on a falafel and i think between 1JD - 1.5JD for a shwarma if you prefer meat.  my husband eat a felafel or shwarma almost 4-5 times a week from the guy who sells it outside his office.  we've been here 4 months and have never got sick from that.  They are delicious. a good meal can cost anything from 3JD to 6JD including beverage, if you dont eat at fancy hotels.

Petra is probably the most expensive attraction but you can choose to save by packing your own sandwich for your mid day lunch instead of eating at the restaurants inside - tourist trap and costly.  also, check ahead for weather forecast so you get the best for your day.

Anywhere in Jordan, most tourist type restaurants charge about 10Jd for buffet. you can try once or twice and you'll realise all is about the same funfare.  you will do much better if you eat like a local or order ala carte at loal joints.

busing is very cheap. although i havent seen expats taking local buses, i have expat friends who did.  if you are by yourself, you may enjoy this and meet and learn about the culture and country very fast - Jordanian are very friendly.

that said, within Amman very recently, there have been bus strikes - i know the guy that runs the bus company. so, check ahead Jordan Times online newspaper before you get here if you are planning on that on your transport in town.  Taxi within Amman cost about 0.5Jd for a short ride to 1 or 2 JD almost anywhere within city limits, off peak hours.

welcome!

Hi there

I've been travelling for 2 months. When I returned to Amman, I found my apartment filled with small black butterflies. I have been trying to get rid of them using baygon and raid. each day I spray the kitchen and make sure no more butterflies and wake up to find 10 or more new ones. Can anyone advise how to get rid of those as I have a baby and scared they would be a source of contamination. Million thanks

Hi Dido

I have never seen the small black butterflies but we have the odd few crawling things.  Lessons I have learned in Jordan:-

1) Keep all foods not canned in sealed plastic boxes Lock n Locks or similar
2) Wash out cupboards and spray with insecticide, leave food out for a day then wash cupboards out and replace food
3) Do not inhale Raid - it can make you very sick it did me
4) Make sure there are no crumbs anywhere - floors/worktops
5) Empty waste bins morning and night

Once you have removed all the food source they will disappear.  I don't think the butterflies will cause illness - the common housefly is the worst for this!  Butterflies generally only eat plant matter - have you plants in the house?  My guess is they are hatching from caterpillars which have been laid somewhere... could be behind a kitchen cupboard so until they have all evolved into their winged state you will still see more.  Please don't worry too much as butterflies (if they are) won't harm you. 

Last week I caught one mouse, this week a baby cockroach (very worrying) and now we have 3 gekko's which have taken up residence in our conservatory.  Life in Jordan :-)

Hi, i am planing to move t Jordan. I am planing to move with family. I have daughter 3 years
Old. Is the life suitable for them and how is the schools ?0? Also how is the health services??
Thank you in advance