Visa question

We are a family of four (our kids are 10,6) and we want to live in Cuenca for ONE YEAR. 
- What is the best visa for us - we do not want to be residents and we cannot stay for the full academic year with teh 180 day tourist visa. 
- Anyone successfully obtained an Education Visa?  Can parents of enrolled children also get it? 
- Do you need a round-trip ticket to get the 90 day visa upon arrival?
- Do we need to obtain the 180 day visa to change into another visa once we get there?
- Other ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Lisa

You didn't say what country you live in. I can tell you a little that would apply to Americans.

First, be aware that blogs are often not the best place to ask this kind of question. I have seen a lot of misinformation. None of which, I am sure, is intentional. It is just that in Ecuador, visa requirements can change like the weather. Older posts will invariably contain out-ot-date information, or the people posting recently may not be up-to-date with changes.

Here are some options you may want to consider. If you live near or will be in the vicinity an Ecuadorian Embassy, you can ask your questions directly to Embassy/Consulate personnel. You can find the hours they are open on their website (Google Ecuador Consulate or some variation thereof). The Washington D.C. website has a very good section explaining all the possible visa options and this will be up-to-date. You can also call the Embassy/Consulate, but I found that not to be as accurate or helpful. Research the information on the site thoroughly before you call. As a side note, be overly polite in you inquiries. Ecuador culture expects politeness, and not being so might net you some incorrect information without you even knowing you crossed a boundary. Sorry to have to say that, but what I have heard from the mouth of some Americans has made me cringe, and I am not Ecuadorian.

Another option is to call (or e-mail) a lawyer here in Ecuador. There are a number of good lawyers who speak English, if you don't speak Spanish. I am reluctant to list any lawyers here for fear of having people overwhelm them because it's easier to just call and not do any research on your own. There are three I would recommend, one each in Quito, Cuenca, and Loja. If you search for lawyers in each of these places, you are sure to find them. Some of these lawyers also have YouTube videos.

I believe a 1-year visa does not exist without it being tied to a specific purpose, being enrolled in a educational institute, for example. If you use the Educational visa, I guess the question is: can you bring your entire family? But, the actions I have suggested will most likely clarify the details and options available to you. If you find a visa that will work for you, I would recommend getting it from the Ecuador Consulate in your country before you leave. And, keep in mind that within 30 days of arriving in Ecuador, you must register the visa in either Quito or Guayaquil (only) and you must obtain (or at least apply for) a Censo card (in most cities) within that same time-frame.

I wish you luck.