EVDO stick/Internet Questions?

Hey im moving to ethiopia in about a month.  I can buy an evdo stick from someone here for $100.  Is that a good deal? how much are they usually?

Also apparently this one is about 1-2 years old.  Are there quicker ones out now?

Is there a monthly download limit? if so what is it?

I usually stream sports online when overseas using the slingbox ( i guess if theres a d/l limit this would be tough ) And i need about 500k/s dl speed.  is this possible there?

speedtest.net

If anyone wants to run this speed test real quick and let me know what their speed is I would greatly appreciate it.

thanks

Hey,

I have bought a new Huwei evdo for 85 five dollar and the are very fast and reliable. Please be advised that u can get a better deal here in Ethiopia.

Melaku

HI, You can get a new EV-DO stick for almost the same price or even a little less. There are three categories for the speed
I think 1GB- is around 300birr a month, 2GB-500birr, 3GB-700birr the speed is pretty fast. If you download more than the GB you bought you have to recharge it again, but if you have GB left at the end of the month it doesn't roll over it expires. Right now EV-DO is the fastest service for residential use. Hope this was helpful.

Yes, $100 is way too expensive. You can have a brand new one for Birr 1,200 ($70) at any electronics store in Addis.

Cheers!

I have one I use from ETC,very fast and efficient.4GB is 7oo birr per month.it`s even better that some wireless connections in these hotels.No download limit really,you have to load the 700 birr credit at the beginning of the month and if you just use it to browse and minor downloads you won`t need to load again till the month ends,but if you are a heavy downloader,then the credit gets used up along the month and you can just buy scratch recharge cards and top up again till the balance is positive.It works only if balance is positive.Negative balance,no connection.Good luck!!

anyone interesting in using speedtest.net to let me know their download speed?

hoping for at least 500k/s

here in canada i got 13 mb/s. damn

my EVDO is 0.51 mb/s download speed

Hi all,
I bought an EV-DO and i asked two weekd ago for the 4bg package for 700 Birr at Ethio Telecom. My problem is that i already charged it with 600 Birr and i just spent around 1,3 GB and i cant use it more. I charged it not at once and i charged with the green scratch card. Are they different cards for internet use or should i had charged the 700 Birr at once?

Hi all once again,
I really appreciate any kind of help in this one, because i contacted Ethio Telecom and they couldnt answer me properly. They even got surprised how i got the value of 1,5 Gb. I explained them that its possible to check how much i spent in the evdo "NetConnectLog" area and they got surprised. I really dont know what should i do. Can anyone help me please? Its very frustating that you paid for a service and they dont care if you receive it well or not. Thanks in advance.

The way EVDO service work is, if you got the 4GB plan, you will have to charge it with 700 birr at the beginning of every month. And if you finish the 4gb before the end of the month you will have to charge it at higher rate. and because you just subscribed for the service, until the next month start you will have to charge it with 0.40 cent / MB. which will be Birr 600 for 1.GB. You can still use it with the 0.4c/MB payment until the end of the month and on June 1, you can charge it for 700Birr and you will have 4GB recharged. and if your 4gb ends before the end of month another 0.4c/MB till the end. :).

Now its clear for me! Thanks a lot arayalakew

We're moving to Addis in August, for 6 months.  Are the prices and download limits still accurate?

i have been using my iPhone with a ethiotel simcard to tether 3G data to my laptop with the hotspot function. I also use my phone to make 3G calls on viber. But I go through over 100 birr in airtime a day and need to recharge. Super expensive and a pain. I think I use 1G a day and I need to upload videos to Dropbox for my work. Can someone explain the difference between doing this and using an EVDO or CDMA stick with a monthly data plan? Would I just burn through the same amount of airtime and lose money on the device? Or would or somehow save me money? How do I know how much data to buy outright? The ethiotel stick is $2500 birr but works with 4G. I'm so confused and frustrated.

Hi Jluv,

For ur phone try killing background application by activating ur data usage from setting and individually select the app and click on restrict backround data.In that way you will save money.

I am not sure about the 4G cause the 3G is not working properly most of the time and don't know about it.We call it "3jieb" ( jieb means hyena).

About the EVDO ...i think its better than the 3G.Cause you can have larger datas as you like.Just talk to the ETC.(Father of the HYENA  :lol:  )

Goodluck.