URGENT looking for a place Umea Sweden

Hi there,

I'm looking for a place to rent from next January up to 3000kr in Umea
I'm gona be a student with no car so I'd like to find something near the SLU university.

I'm 28 and have been flating since about 7 years so I'm very house friendly ;)

Hopefully someone can help me

Cheers

Julie

First of all have you registered to bostaden.umea.se/? They are the main organisation that rents apartments. As there is a queue I would suggest to register there. It's totally free.

Ålidhem is really close to both SLU and the other part of the University. It's also the place where most students live.

Personally I live in Carlshem which is concidered a family place and not so close to the uni. However I use the bicycle and it takes at most 10min. If you are going to have a bike then distance is not a problem.

When you say next January do you mean January 2013 or 2012?

Cheers!

Hi,

Yeah I'm already registered on Bostaden but the waiting list are huge which is why I was asking for help on this website.
Thank you anyway I'll keep on trying ;)

Yes I will have a bike but still I'd rather live not so far from uni as I'm not really a cold weather person so the less time I have to stay outside the better ;)

What do you study at uni?? In January 2012 I'm starting a master of fish and wildlife management... whoop whoop exciting ;)

Cheers

Julie

I can understand your frustration. However I can assure you that you will find something, at least temporarily.

You definitely are either going to get an "enkelrum"(=simple room), a second hand room or an apartment which you share with others. The places you want to check is either Ålidhem or Berghem. The university is between the two areas. Ålidhem is more noisy while Berghem is more calm and closer to the town-center.

You can check here for collective and second hand apartments/rooms: http://www.blocket.se/hela_sverige/lage … w=202&m=25 where it says "tjejkollektiv" it means that you share the apartment with other girls. Uthyres/uthyrning means "renting". Knowing these words and maybe using google-translate might help you to find something :) Just be careful so they don't fish you. Don't give any credit out etc.

You are lucky that you move this winter as the weather is rather mild. We had the first snow yesterday and temperature is just -3. Last year it was like -25 so the weather is the last thing to worry about at the moment ;)

I study Computer Science at bachelor level but might eventually change to Electronics or Robotics. Wildlife sounds interesting and it's definitely a good move to come to the north of Sweden as it has a very nature up here. If I wasn't such a geek I would also probably study something that has to do with nature.

If you need any help just pm me. I know how hard it can be to move to a far away location without knowing anyone or how things work. :)

Yeah it is definitely frustrating but I'm sure I'll find something... at worst I'll go in a hostel when I arrive and find something when I'm there!!
Tell me how come you live so far from uni?
I'm already on bloket too as I'd like (if possible) not to live on the campus as I really want to focus on my study and not be tempted on partying everyday, which I'm sure I will anyway ;)

I'm not sure the "high" temperature for the season are reinsuring as first it doesn't mean that it won't go down and second its already very very cold for me ;) I'm not a winter person I'd rather live in summer all year round ;) but I really like the master that the SLU offers so I'll do with it for two years ;) I think the first thing I'll do when I arrive is buy warm shoes and clothes lol

Thanks for offering your help, I'm sure I'll need it when I arrive in Umea. It's nice to already sort of know somebody before I arrive. It's not the first time I move in a foreign country but it is the first time I move without knowing anybody.

Cheers

I chose Carlshem mostly because I wanted my own kitchen. Funny if you think that now I hardly cook!:lol: For me the distance is not so big. I am an all year biker(like many swedes) so 3km is nothing. I also like the fact that it's more quiet here than in Ålidhem and the nature is just nearby. Something else that is very positive is that ICA Maxi (cheapest super market in Umeå)is close. Don't forget also the fact that the more decentralized you are the cheaper the rent is.

Btw check your inbox. :cool: