Teaching English in Indonesia

Hi all. I'm a South African and I'm currently teaching English in South Korea for my 3rd year now (will finish 3rd contract in October).
I would love to teach in Indonesia but I've heard that they don't give English Teaching jobs to South Africans (due to the fact that they don't recognize SA as one of the English speaking countries).
I would appreciate ANY advice regarding this.
I have a degree in Language Practice with English as a major, CELTA certified, almost 3years experience in teaching English to non-natives and can understand/speak Indonesian a little bit (currently studying Indonesian part time).
Please advice what I can do to better my chances since I'm only looking for a job January 2013.
Looking forward to hear from you!
Thank you SO much!

Hello antjies and welcome to Expat.com!

In which part of Indonesia are you willing to go?
This may help other members to advise you.;)

I also invite you to post an advert in Indonesia classifieds > jobs section/ teaching! It may help.

I wish you all the best,
Harmonie.:)

Strictly, you can't legally get a job here unless you're from an English speaking country.
You have to go through an agency to get the visa and they won't accept it for a south African.
(maybe with a bribe but that's being stamped on at the moment)

@Harmonie: I'm willing to go anywhere...as long as it is in Indonesia :) Thanks or the Advice!
@Mas Fred:  Yeah, I've heard the same, but South Africa is an English speaking country, so it kinda sucks. But thanks for the info!

^
Agreed but it may well be a problem for you anyway.
The Indonesian government's list of allowed countries is short and may be unfair, but that's the sad fact.
Of course 'facts', sad or otherwise, aren't always facts here.
I can't elaborate much but I know of people who don't fit the requirements but are working legally.

I'd give a few places a try and see what happens. A CV by email is free.

Thanks - I'll definitely do that. According to some websites South Africa is not listed, but on the website of English First (Language school in China, Russia & Indonesia)South Africa is actually listed. Little bit confusing, but I've made contact with them to get an idea of what's up...fingers crossed!
Thanks again! I appreciate the info!

i work for englishtown online in bali, which is part of englishfirst, and they do have a south african working for them. however they do employ people illegally not everyone but a majority of people are 'none contract' (i think they pay off immigration) so i guess its up to you. how much you want to work there v how much you want to do it legally

I have worked with South African teachers here and they were employed both legally and correctly. If you try hard enough and find an employer who is prepared to hire you and sort your visa out etc then you should be fine. However, make sure that this is agreed at the interview and not on a promise. Otherwise you could find yourself working illegally and that could turn ugly.
Good luck in your adventure

@Jdb - Thank you for the info. I really really want to work in Indonesia...but I really really want to be legal all the way! But thanks again!

@LukeReg - double thanks to you - you have made my day with the "I have worked with South African teachers here and they were employed both legally and correctly". Thank you so much! I'm positive that I'll find an employer who is willing to take the legal route!

Dear Antjies,

please do check http://www.wallstreet.ac.id/

they were hiring some new english instructures around few months ago,the advertisement was completed with the offered package such as salary and stuffs, or you could also check http://www.englishfirst.co.id/

good luck, schat!

Mitha

Hi,

I am an American expat living in Europe now who is recently certified TEFL/ TESOL teacher.

What are the chances of finding a job in Bali or Lombok? I would be open to come and start from an immersion program, if needed.

Ty.

Hi,
I am an American expat living in Europe now who is recently certified TEFL/ TESOL teacher.

What are the chances of finding a job in Bali or Lombok? I would be open to come and start from an immersion program, if needed.

Ty.
-@nikolatr71

If you're degree level educted, high.

If you're willing to consider Jakarta and other big cities - extremely high

Covid saw a lot of expat teachers leave the country and a lot of schools are having problems finding people.

Hello nikolatr71,

Welcome to Expat.com 1f601.svg

If you have further questions, kindly start a new thread on the Indonesia forum.

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team