HELP!!!!

Hi guys
I would really appriciate some advice My husband has got a job in Bergen and we are hoping to move there just before christmas,
We have just found out i am pregnant .great news but a total shock!!! MY major question is how will i go about finding a doctor /SCANS and hospital care when the time comes I would really appriciate your help on this .Im am really freaking out and dont know anything about the Health Systme in Norway
THANKS So much!!!!

Just ask to the first hospital you met there. Don't worry, you will not give birth in the street. Your husband will have a family doctor, just tell him to ask his doctor.

Don't worry!

I moved to Bergen when I was 5 months pregnant. You will get a jordmor (midwife) and have antenatal appointments with them in your local area.

The main hospital in Bergen is Haukeland Sykehus. They have 2 maternity wards, one is for natural births (Storken) and the other gives epidurals (Kvinneklinikken).

Most Dr's speak english, although not all of the nurses/midwives did.

I got a midwife before I got a local Dr as you need to have your paperwork/visa in place to get a personal number to get a Dr. But, as I was pregnant, I got cared for before having that in place.

My partner dealt with lots of things as he is norwegian, but I am sure it will be easy enough for you to contact the correct people and speak to them in english.

The system isn't greatly different to the UK, everything in regards to having a baby is free.

You do have to pay for Dr's appointments here when you are sick tho... but it's just a nominal amount, like the prescription charge in the UK.

I know your Irish, I'm not sure how the system in Ireland differs from the UK.

Best of luck with the move and the baby! :)

Thanks so much for the quick replys! you know how it is in the beginning you feel like an alien! Yeah the english and irish systme is pretty similar, even though in the last few years Irish hospital are so over crowded ,the maternity sections especially.Is that an issue in norway( over crowding?)
How often would you have an ante-natel appointment and is there regular scans?
Sorry about all the questions!

I was already 5 months pregnant when I moved, so had all my ultrasound scans in the UK.

AFAIK the first scan here is at 18 weeks, I think there might be one more after that.

Antenatal appointments seemed frequent enough. I can dig out my paperwork if you want more exact info.

HI zombie Thon
No not at all but thanks so much,...NO your info has been great:)

Hi Chree24

I'm a English expat living in Bergen and had my whole pregnancy and birth here. My baby is 8 weeks now so if you need any advice or have any questions please just message me. Personally I had a really, really good experience giving birth here. The Jordmor (midwife) was a bit too relaxed at my ante-natel checks but my doctor made up for it by being over cautious!

Just let me know if you would like any info.

Karen x

ps I had a private 12 weeks scan which was about 1200kr i think. And a free scan at 18 weeks. Also there is a private Jordmor who I did a birthing class in English with at the hospital. This was brilliant because I met lots of other English speaking women due at the same time as me. I can give you her contact details if you are interested.