International health insurance strategy as Expat in Thailand?

Greetings,

I'm semi retired, 59 and about to make the jump to BKK. My goal it to spend a year traveling in SE Asia with Thailand my base, hopefully eventually settling there longer term. I have questions about your health insurance strategy as an expat.

My current US based health insurance has a low deductible and co-pay, with the monthly premium of $850.  It's an excellent plan.  But will I need it also? 

I will be moving to Thailand and want to make sure I am covered adequately.  I know most of the little stuff like Doctor visits, meds, dental cleanings and dental work costs are low enough to pay out of pocket.  International insurance for the big stuff.

Question: Do you keep your health insurance from your home country and get additional international insurance as well?  Do you forgo your US health insurance and only use international insurance?

What is your strategy for having solid health coverage without being over or under insured?

Thanks in advance!

@Jimpdxusa If the purpose of US Health Insurance is to only cover your medical care while you are travelling around in Thailand then I would say it is more than enough assuming it covers Thailand. If the purpose is to get the Non O  retirement visa then you need to check the amount of coverage. You can find the info on the thai embassy website. As long as your US Health Insurance covers Thailand. You Do not need an addtional insurance. Thai medical care is very affordable unlike in the US. I believe you as a US citizen, your coverage is more than enough to cover your medical care cost in Thailand. You do not need any strategies just bring your International Health Insurance's company's help Desk or Claim desk number in case you need to call and get their approval when you need  medical care at the Hospital in Thailand. If you US Health Insurance does not cover Thailand

my recommandation will be misterprakan.com/en/pass/thailand-pass?affid=AG3033

Marcson72,

Thank you for the reply.  My us health will only cover ER visits abroad but the primary care and any surgeries not from ER services need to be preformed back in the US.

Wondering of i should drop my domestic and  just use international insurance.

What i would love to hear from is other US expats who are retired or self funding their own health insurance and what they are using? 

I will appreciate any input.