Retiring to Malaga

Retired American couple looking toward Malaga as our home city. Is English spoken widely in Malaga? Spanish is second nature for me but not so for wife. I understand that in restaurants and shops English may be spoken more frequently, but what about day-to-day life for example in the markets and the neighborhoods? Thank you

Malaga is a popular destination for expatriates, including retirees, so you'll find a diverse community there. While Spanish is the predominant language spoken in Malaga, especially in day-to-day interactions like markets and neighbourhoods, English is widely understood in tourist areas, restaurants, and shops due to the significant number of tourists and expats.

In markets and neighbourhoods, you may encounter more Spanish speakers, but you should still be able to navigate with basic Spanish knowledge. Many locals appreciate it when foreigners make an effort to speak their language, so even if your wife is not fluent in Spanish, attempting to communicate in Spanish will likely be welcomed.

Overall, Malaga is an excellent choice for expatriates as it offers a vibrant mix of Spanish culture and international influences, making it relatively easy to adapt to daily life, even if you primarily speak English. Additionally, there are often language exchange programs or classes available to help improve language skills if desired.

It would be a good idea to seek advice from a professional relocation services when you decide to move.

Good luck. 

@dion.angove

Dion, thanks for the response. I have been to Malaga a few times over these years as a tourist and am seeking contact with anyone in the American expat community for discussion. I am seeking to talk with someone who is actually experiencing the town from the expat point of view. Could you put me in contact with such a person or group please.

Thank you

LJR