Living in Germany but Working for NL

Hello everyone,

My question is, what happens if i live in Germany but working remotely for Netherlands. Company has a legal entity in here as well but i can stay here. Relocation is not a must, only some members of my department is there. In addition to that i finished a master in Germany. How am i suppose to get a working permit. Does it have to be from Netherlands or can i get it also here in Germany. Thanks!!!!

As a non-EU-citizen, you need a German work permit to work in Germany.

To get one, youneed a job offer by a company registered in Germany (not a Dutch one!), or you can get one as self-employed/freelancer.

Without a German employer, things are more complex, because you need to take care of your business registration, licensing (if applicable), accountancy and taxation matters. It will also be more costly, because you get no employer's contribution (usually 50%) to (compulsory) health, unemployment, retirement insurance and social security contributions - and you may need to engage professionals for the formalities, which are all in (buerocratic) German language.

In many cases, this makes the option of remote work fom Germany (as a foreigner) unattractive. But of course you must decide on your own whether it is worth it for you!

@beppi Hi,

Thanks so much for your answer. Company registered in here as well. Just the positon's location is in netherlands. Does that make a huge difference?

@bedizolmez Are you employed by the German subsidiary (a business registered in Germany), or the Dutch organisation? This makes a big difference in legal terms!