Looking to buy affordable property and make friends

Hi all. Canadian here. I'm looking at buying an affordable property in Panama, in the 20-50K range. Not sure what currency is used down there but I am very interested in being reffered and making a social circle.

It sounds like you aren't very familiar with Panama. it would be much better to live here for a year or more to be sure it works for you. It can be very hard to sell property if you change your mind. Panama uses the US dollar.

I agree with kristc99. Come down and have a look first. Finding something in ure pricerange wont be the problem. I even saw an ad from a local in the housing or classifieds section on this site, selling property. But as always, beware of scams. Therefore. Come by. You can couchsurf, take hotels, meet some locals, build a network. Learn how things work,... I've got two empty rooms for example.

@kristc99

I thought Panama uses the colon? do they accept Canadian money?

@yvdb85

sounds good

@dannyb888  that's Costa Rica. Panama uses US dollars. No, you cant use Canadian money here.

@kristc99

oh wow ok. Panama is significantly cheaper then canada though. im looking to escape sky high living costs

@dannyb888 That's exactly why we moved. The USA is too expensive for us. we didn't expect all the other benifits and the happier life we enjoy now.

Moderated by Bhavna last month
Reason : Please post your offer in the housing section
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@kristc99

there are regions in Midwestern USA that are extremley affordable, such as Arkansas and Missouri. it's mostly the port cities (anything by water) that is extremley expensive. NYC, Seattle, Chicago, LA, Boston, etc to name a few. you certainly want to avoid those (and any other major city). you have to be willing to go more inland and rural but it's worth it in my opinion.

if you wanted to get somewhere warm, Arizona and New Mexico are also very good options. I would also say Florida but Southern Florida is getting more pricey.

Im looking for a fixer upper in Panama or some land that's very cheap. About 1/2 acre and 3000 dollars.

@dannyb888  i don't want to live in the midwest. i've already done that. so an edit - We can't afford anywhere we would want to live. Panama been a good move for us. But it is very different in many ways so I'd suggest you live here for a while before buying anything. it's really hard to sell if you change your mind. And I cant imagine anything within your budget unless you left off a zero.

@kristc99

the 3000 figure was for land, not a house. Im looking for something more mobile. Like a tinyhome or something of that nature. Mobile home, etc. I guess there aren't many properties under 50 grand USD there?

@dannyb888 i talked with my realtor friend today and he said this is unrealistic. He did know of a $5000 piece of land but it was really remote and  you would need a 4x4 to get to it over very rough terrain. There was no water or electricity, and nothing nearby and it would be a total pain to get any building materials up there. it was up in the mountains of Chiriqui. $20,000 - $30,000 would be more realistic for a decent bit of land.

@kristc99

yeah that's out of my price range

Where can I buy farmland with house and privacy and have guns as a US Expat for less than 60K? I want to keep chickens, quail and grow food.

Panama's gun laws are much more restrictive than in the US.

You must apply for permission to own a gun when you purchase it at the very few places they are sold.

Unless this has changed since I last checked a few years ago, you pay for the weapon at the gun store and they hold it for you until your application is approved.

If it is not approved, your money is returned.

@damaniwvk

Thanks for the reply. I read years and years ago that it was fairly easy to own them there. Will do some more checking if it seems to make economic sense to consider moving.