INFORMATION PLEASE

I was seriously thinking of moving house to Bulgaria and already purchasing a villa in Burgas. Then I read some of the horror stories posted here.  Many of the posts make me believe that the country is totally corrupted to the bone.

The judiciary, along with the legal profession and real estate industry, are all up to their elbows in corrupt dealings.  Please tell me this is not so, and I am wide open to suggestions that will assist me in changing my mind.

I am a retired real estate broker who practiced in North America for over thirty years and is fully licensed there.  I had dreams of living in Bulgaria that seem now to be dashed to pieces.

This political comment may not be allowed - if so, apologies to the moderators!

My personal and somewhat cynical viewpoint is that anyone who believes their government is not corrupt in some way, no matter what country they live in, is kidding themselves and living an illusion not reality. Some countries are simply more open about it than others.

@EARLGROUP2002

A question for you.  What did you base these dreams of moving to Bulgaria on?  Have you visited for any length of time to see things firsthand so far?

While I haven't lived in Bulgaria, I did live in neighboring Romania for quite some time and they share many traits, corruption included.  If you search online about the topic, many 3rd party monitors of corruption, including Transparency International, rate Bulgaria as the most corrupt EU member nation.  Romania is right there with Bulgaria.  Yes, there is the way things are supposed to be done, yet people get around what are deemed pesky legalities and procedures regarding things ranging from the trivial to the criminal in nature with nods, winks, bribes, favors, etc...

As one potential expat was told very recently on this forum, if your moral compass and sense of ethics conflicts with how society largely conducts itself in Bulgaria; don't expect it to change for you...and don't come to Bulgaria. 

@EARLGROUP2002

OK, so you are English, living in America and want to move to Bulgaria but hate it because it's corrupt.

This is information you got from this website?

Why move?

@EARLGROUP2002

....and you edit your post. Good, still doesn't change things.

Read my post again. Nobody mentioned the word hate.  Constructive information only, please

Hello everyone,

The opening post in itself is quite confusing !

@EARLGROUP2002, have you already purchased your villa ?

Have you had any issues so far dealing with "The judiciary, along with the legal profession and real estate industry" ?

I don't think you should rely on members to make you change your mind. It is your personal decision to buy and move or not.

Regards

Bhavna

Corruption is rife in all countries, it's why we left the uk. It doesn't directly affect us in Bulgaria, in fact when we lived in any other country it made little difference to our daily lives.

@janemulberry  If anyone can't see the lid has been lifted of the mass corruption we all live in after the last 4 years I have no words, some countries have just invested far more to perpetuate the manufactured reality that you live in a democracy.

The judiciary, along with the legal profession and real estate industry, are all up to their elbows in corrupt dealings.  Please tell me this is not so, and I am wide open to suggestions that will assist me in changing my mind.

-@EARLGROUP2002

It's not so.

Bulgaria is a member of the EU (albeit the poorest one) and there are economic and legal standards that apply. Many expats (including some members of this forum) have relocated to Bulgaria and purchased property here with no problems whatsoever.

Gwynj nailed it there. Never had a spot of bother in Bulgaria myself, been popping in and out for years.

Plenty Brits out here giving it a go. But what's the story with you boys over the pond? Theres a few of you on this forum acting paranoid as hell.

Your not mixing up Bulgaria with Bolivia or something, are you?

@EARLGROUP2002

I've lived in Bulgaria for 20 years, so far; my wife is Bulgarian and has lived here all her life, my inherent gallantry - and sense of self-preservation - prevent me from specifying just how long that is 1f60e.svg  Even a cursory look through the Bulgarian news media any and every day will tell you that the tales of corruption are absolutely correct - some of these people are actually quite impressive in their ingenuity, while the majority are just arrogant or careless.  However, you're unlikely to experience any of it first-hand as long as you're not naive or foolhardy.  The whole of the Balkans is corrupt in some way or other, although very often local people don't see it as corruption: perhaps the most famous literary character here in Bulgaria is "Bay Ganyo", the hero of a series of books and films, who is shifty and cunning, and always looking to make a profit by manipulating or swindling the people he meets.  To many people in the Balkans he is someone to smile about - and to admire and emulate. Just bear in mind that the only person in any dealings you have who truly has your interests at heart is you, so make sure that you understand exactly what you're buying and what you're signing.

That apart, it's a great place to live; you might experience some culture shock at first, but once you've tuned in to how things work you'll come to enjoy life here as much as most of us.  Many expats here have one rule that serves them well and which you might wish to consider: forums like this are a good way to meet and interact with other foreign residents, actually living in close proximity to some of them is another matter entirely.

@EARLGROUP2002

Do not worry about the corruption.

Get a good lawyer for anything of major importance( immigration, real estate purchases etc.) and you will be totally fine.

If you worry about your property/safety  get dogs and SOT( security service). So you will be all covered.

And then relax, enjoy your retirement. Bulgaria is a beautiful country.

@EARLGROUP2002
Do not worry about the corruption.
Get a good lawyer for anything of major importance( immigration, real estate purchases etc.) and you will be totally fine.
If you worry about your property/safety  get dogs and SOT( security service). So you will be all covered.
And then relax, enjoy your retirement. Bulgaria is a beautiful country.

-@TonyFF

Good advice - but don't forget that dogs can be, and are, poisoned by burglars; the COT firms are run by the mafia, and many of the best lawyers are as bent as nine bob notes..you won't have to worry about whether you've accidentally picked one of them though: they prefer the really rich "businessmen" clients who own COT companies, banks, Sunny Beach etc....1f60e.svg

@JimJ

That could be true- I have 2 good Bulgarian honest lawyers ( not sharks) recommended by my Bulgarian relatives.

No problems. Do not hire shark lawyers - there is a web site of all Bulgaria lawyers and once you select one you can do your own research. The censorship here deletes web sites so I cannot give you the link.

In regards to poisoning dogs- yes that is possible. And there is solution to that.

You train your dogs not to take food from any  stranger( my dog is trained like that)

They are your loving pets/companions  and personal protection,  you are the boss and they listen to you ONLY.. Period.Easy.

@TonyFF

I've known a good few folk who "trained" their dogs like that - they all succumbed to poisoned meatballs/chocolate/you name it that burglars tossed over the fence.  The more and better protection against burglary you have, the more the local toe-rags want to know what you have that's worth so much protection.  The best you can hope for is that they decide it's easier to break in somewhere else.  You can buy all sorts of weaponry over the counter here, including stun guns, "bear spray", and gas pistols - as well as PCP airguns, with or without silencers, that will take down big game, let alone dogs, or you and me...

@JimJ

Aren' t you a little paranoid?

I suggest you get a few AK47, Bazooka, a few Bulgarian shepherds  and  a few dogo argentino:)

I know there was a person in Bulgaria that had electric fence surrounding his  property and had mines in the yard- that too:)

It is not healthy to live in fear!!!!

@TonyFF

I'm not at all paranoid, just realistic.  I've been burgled here and it's just as unpleasant as it is anywhere else.  In fact, it was more galling because everyone in the village knew who the burglars were, one of them being the druggie grandson of the old Baba further down the road.  He was picked up by the Plodski with some of my gear still in his possession, but I was cajoled into keeping schtum so as not to freak the old girl out.  It was quietly suggested to him that it might be healthier if he left the village for pastures new.  I know many people, Bulgarians and foreigners, who've been burgled here - some are convinced that it was the boys from their COT company.  It's certainly the case that several COT companies have been found to have organised burglaries to encourage prospective customers to sign up for their "services".  My next door neighbour in Sofia uses the biggest company in the country for his security - he lives in the north of the country and has a darned palace next to us, with a couple of his'n'hers Maseratis and a collection of expensive motorbikes in his garages. His COT-connected house alarms have gone off a few times and it takes the boys in black quite a time to show up; I've even had to ring him a few times to tell him to call them! 1f602.svg

@JimJ

I am sorry for your experience. Just because you had this misfortune does not mean that EVERYONE moving to Bulgaria will have the same experience. Drawing conclusion from individual situations is very very narrow minded.

My honest advice to you is:  take the matter in your own hands to protect yourself.

It is legal owning firearm in Bulgaria.

from a Bulgarian web site quote:

"Example cost of LIVE firearms in Bulgaria – A guide:

Glock 17 – 4 Gen – Approx. €650

AK 47 – New Arsenal SAR 12 – From €650

Sig Saur M4 Carbine – From €2,000

Barrat .50 Sniper Rifle – From €12,000+ "

And get dogs, dogs ,dogs !!!

@JimJ
Aren' t you a little paranoid?
I suggest you get a few AK47, Bazooka, a few Bulgarian shepherds  and  a few dogo argentino:)
I know there was a person in Bulgaria that had electric fence surrounding his  property and had mines in the yard- that too:)

It is not healthy to live in fear!!!!

-@TonyFF

I  moved to a county where crime is a far smaller problem.

I don't have to worry about my kids being eaten by vicious guard dogs or accidentally standing on a land mine.

So much easier

In all seriousness, why not move to a safe country rather than arm yourselves and live in fear?

@TonyFF

Yes, I'm a licensed shooter here and own a fairly large collection of rifles.  I see you've been looking at one of the nutty "prepper sites".  Owning certain categories of firearms here is legal but you have to jump through a fair number of hoops, including taking a long training course, passing a written examination (in Bulgarian) and being interviewed by a psychologist.  You CAN'T buy an AK-47, or any other kind of assault rifle, as a civilian in BG - also all auto and semi-auto weapons are prohibited for civilian ownership, regardless of what the nutty preppers might tell you. So you'd have to get one on the Dark Web, and it will cost you a LOT more than 600 euros there, not to mention that you need a licence to buy the ammo, so you'd have to buy that on the black market also. That said, there are some VERY serious air weapons available across the counter these days, as I mentioned before. 

The problem is that burglars don't pop round by appointment and if you get your guns stolen you can kiss your licence goodbye - and if you injure or kill a burglar, you'd be well advised to either bury him smartish or have a friendly pig-keeper who lives close by.  As in many other "civilised" countries, there are restrictions on the type of vermin you are permitted to shoot with impunity.  Crimes of violence, even if you claim self-defence or the "defence of the oppressed", attract long prison sentences here, and the gaols are none too pleasant, as Jock Palfreeman, the self-appointed Caped Crusader of Sofia can attest. 1f60e.svg

All that said, there's no shortage of illegal guns here - or of people who carry them for "business purposes"; that's why the British Embassy cautions visitors against confrontation if you have a traffic accident, especially if large gents in shiny prestige-make German cars are involved.  Illegal guns and steroids are a very bad combination.

Good for you.

I think if you make a little shooting range in your back yard and practice occasionally- this will be  a red flag to future robbers. Warning shots also work if there is an intruder that comes by uninvited. You do not have to use violence to protect yourself.  Please do some yoga or something else you like to relax to help you with your fears. This is not a way to live.

Fearmongering does not help anyone trying to move to Bulgaria either.

@TonyFF

I assume that you're joking - "a little range in the back garden" is a sure-fire (1f920.svg) way to kill or injure your neighbours and have the fuzz drop round to take you and your gun licence away for quite some time. I'm not afraid of burglars; I do my best to keep them away from my property but shi*t happens and anyway I'm well insured.

Thread temporarily closed for review

Closed