Thai London embassy Type "O" on line application

The Thai London website clearly states in can apply for the type "O" visa online(not o-a or o-x) , so doesn't require the expensive medical insurance, so I will just need proof of the 800k THB(or Equivalent in the bank)

Anybody done it this way , surely its easier to have this visa in place before leaving the UK

obviously I understand I will have a limited time to get a Thai bank account when I arrive and actually transfer the money so I can then extend for 12 months

Sorry if this has been asked a thousand times before! :)

Yes, this is exactly the way to do it, the smartest way in fact (IMHO) which is why I did exactly that.

In order to get the 800K in the bank you of course need an account and in order to get an account you need an address (condo, not a hotel). I managed to get that done in a couple of days, leaving me more than 2 weeks to get the 1-year extension after two months.

thank you , also I will be coming with my partner she is english will both our names be on the TM30 when we get a lease? because will will both obviously need to move the 800k into Thailand

I'm not sure what the process is with a partner. I would think that two names on the lease and joint names on a bank account (with 1.6M in it) would be sufficient but I'm just guessing. Maybe somebody else knows?

thank you rbakker

one other thing you may be able to help with ,I just need to ensure I have kept a running balance of £10000 for 3 months for both myself and partner before applying for the type o?

I did a bit of digging about the tm30 and my partner will be listed on a tm30 supplementary document so thats one weight off my mind , we are hoping to be full time residents of Thailand before the end of the year!

oh and I assume Wise is the best way to transfer the 800k thb?

lol and finally how long to process the visa extension? just a few days?....

Hello kprett

It's 800,000 baht for one person which is more like £18,000 (make it 19 or 20,000 to be safe) and it has to be in a Thai bank for two months (not three) before you can extend it for a year.

So, you apply for the Non-Immigrant(O) in the UK which is good for 90 days. Then you go to Thailand and you set up a bank account and put 800K in it as soon as possible (it can be done within a few days, after you rent a condo).

When the money has been in the bank for two months you can then apply for the 1-year extension.

If you're well-prepared then the extension can be same day - as was the case for me yesterday! But otherwise it will only take a day or two, once you have everything they want (which can vary quite a lot).

Yes, Wise is the best way to transfer money.

@rbakker

Thank you so much, that put my mind at ease, cheers!

Hi

I am moving to thailand with family from India.

My wife and my 12 year old son.

Is language a challenge. Do we need to understand Thai language ?

Does school insists on mandatory learning of Thai language

Are there any CBSE schools (indian students) in Bangkok

Do we get domestic help in Thailand ?

Any guidance on tax rates.

What is good salary in Thailand to live comfortable life

Regards, Sanjay