Cost of Visa agent

Anyone who can share what they paid for agent services for opening a bank account and help with a non-immigrant O visa after arriving in Thailand?

I do have the 800k to deposit into a Thai bank account, so I don't need their "help" with that issue.

Thanks, Jon

A friend had an agent recently help him  And they helped him with the money part as well. I believe he paid 50,000 thai baht.

I would really encourage you to do it on your own especially if you're gonna stay here long-term. You have to do it every year and that's a lot of money to pay out.

It may seem complicated and daunting but it really isn't hard to do. And it will save you a lot of money.

Last year I had a service do everything and was around 38,000 thai.

My agent was Myself. Myself had a reasonable price (nothing) and got the job done quickly. Can highly recommend.

I agree that it looks complicated at first but lots of help here on this forum - it got me through. If you use an agent you're adding an extra level of complexity and it probably won't result in much less work for yourself.

I'm mostly looking for cost without the 800k fix.

Did find something on reddit where a guy said he paid 6000 I believe. There is no way I'm paying 30-50k and I believe that is only relevant when the bribery money is needed to take care of not having the 800k. Happy to pay a few thousand to have someone fix it for me.

@rbakker; I just might do that, I agree it doesn't look that complicated, but if it's something like 6k, it would be nice and stress free for the first time and during the settling in time having just arrived in a new place to live.

I don't think anyone can just pay more to an agent and escape the 800k requirement! That's not what the agents are getting paid for, it's just filling out the paperwork and dealing with the ever-changing requirements.

No discount for having 800k.

Or maybe I'm very naive...

@JonSt

If you have the cash you should not even consider using an agent.

Costs very between 25 to 40.000 baht witb promises to reduce the fees next year....

The reasons why you should NOT use an agent are apple.

First they usually will not take th immi office from where you live l, making 90 days and tm30 reporting difficult, which the agent of course can solce for a small fee.

If you want to do it yourself after using an agent you can expext questions from your actual immigration as to why tou moved, whre you lived etc., and you need to be able to answer these questions about Nakhon Nowhere where you have never been.

I say can expect, does not have to happen, but if you get caught using a paper address you will be deported and blacklisted...

Good luck with your decision

I don't think anyone can just pay more to an agent and escape the 800k requirement! That's not what the agents are getting paid for, it's just filling out the paperwork and dealing with the ever-changing requirements.

-@rbakker

The one time that I used an agent was because I had messed up the money requirements. I didn't realize the two months before and three months after rule. I guess I was naive.

But the agent was able to Fix that possibly by adding money to an account with my name on it. I didn't get a lot of details , but i've heard of them doing this type of thing. And I believe that is what my friend is doing. Because he doesn't have the 800k.

But this caused problems later because the agent used an office in Chiang Mai and that's what the stamp said not Phuket where I reside. So when I did a run to Burma on the way back the officer made a big stink about it.

"two months before and three months after rule"

I knew about the two months before rule but 3 months after? So the 800k balance has to be maintained for 3 months after the extension, I suppose? I'm just leaving mine there but it's good to know.

I agree with the "do it yourself" advice. I have found the people at the immigration to be very helpful and want to help. The best thing is if you can bring a Thai friend with you to the immigration office that you want to use and get the information directly from them. I have found them to give me all the information that I needed and have never had a problem. That includes the one time that I messed up on the time rule before doing the one year extension. From what I've heard using an agent can be a scam and a waste of money.

"two months before and three months after rule"
I knew about the two months before rule but 3 months after? So the 800k balance has to be maintained for 3 months after the extension, I suppose? I'm just leaving mine there but it's good to know.

-@rbakker

Yes I believe that's right three months after it needs to have the 800k maintained And then for 7 months past that it can't go below 400k. Then you are back to the two months prior needing 800k.

@JonSt
First they usually will not take th immi office from where you live l, making 90 days and tm30 reporting difficult, which the agent of course can solce for a small fee.
If you want to do it yourself after using an agent you can expext questions from your actual immigration as to why tou moved, whre you lived etc., and you need to be able to answer these questions about Nakhon Nowhere where you have never been   

-@martinoo2002

I've read about that issue, but thought it was only relevant when you needed them to "fix" the 800k and therefore they used an office somewhere in Isan where they have a friend who works at the local immigration office.

If I were to use an agent, I would make sure that they used the office where I live. I basically just want to avoid standing in line for a whole day as I've read that many end up doing when not using an agent.

-@rbakker

There are plenty of stories about this online. I thought this was the reason for the high agent fees, e.g. bribery money for some immigration officer in Isan or similar.

I basically just want to avoid standing in line for a whole day as I've read that many end up doing when not using an agent.

-@JonSt

I was at immigration for about two hours doing my one year extension.

The choice is yours. I won't beleaguer the point but it's really not that difficult

@scbrock

Thanks for the information :)

@JonSt

It is for any visa request that becomes an issue in the future and they will not let you choose but will

choose the office where there brother's mother her sister 's husband is an immi officer

@JonStIt is for any visa request that becomes an issue in the future and they will not let you choose but willchoose the office where there brother's mother her sister 's husband is an immi officer        -@martinoo2002

If that's the case, then I'm definitely doing it myself :)

Do I need a thai speaking person to help me set up a bank account you think? Or do employees in major banks speak english?

I managed to set up a bank account and my Thai is negligible.

Do I need a thai speaking person to help me set up a bank account you think? Or do employees in major banks speak english?

-@JonSt

I think many speak English. But the advantage that I had when bringing a Thai person When getting a bank account was they were no longer insisting that I purchase what they call compulsory insurance.

They often are more respectful and just more attentive If you have a Thai person with you.

-@JonSt

I think many speak English. But the advantage that I had when bringing a Thai person When getting a bank account was they were no longer insisting that I purchase what they call compulsory insurance.

They often are more respectful and just more attentive If you have a Thai person with you.

@scbrock

Agreed, as a non thai speaker and opening a bank account some.thai speaking présence has its benefits. And not only limited to banks

Any first time I.would bring someone when possible of.course

Not sure if that will be possible without using an agent, don't know any thai people... yet :)

I do believe I have seen some agent services that offer assistance with opening a bank account. Might look into that and use if not too expensive.

@JonSt

Opening a bank account, help with 90 days/TM47 or TM 30 is your decision, these are easy tasks that could be done by yourself, alone without speaking Thai

as long as you bring the correct documents. Banks and Immi are willing to assist to a certain level.

Banks are commercial institutes so they will try to sell you insurances etc. Just say, no thank, have it from home country

If they insist go to another bank, same bank different branch or different bank

From what I have read the three major banks are where to go... Siam Commercial, Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn bank, all with excellent apps

But for VISA assistance I would advise to really think what you are doing

I understand that some do not have the funds and need that help, but my consideration is, what are they doing here without sufficient means to live...???

Even using the service as a one time, means usually a painfull divorce

@martinoo2002

Great advice, thank you, and fully agree your comment on moving here without having the means, really don't understand it.

My current plans are getting the O retirement visa from the Thai embassy in Denmark before I leave... not sure if I can get 90 days right away and transfer the 800k over asap so I have some time to figure out the long term visa.

@JonSt

I have thus far done everything on my own inside Thailand. I did pay an agent 1k baht in Malaysia who basically just steered me toward an O visa. I had to check his work a little, but his understanding of the current practices in the consulate and looking over my papers was worth it.

In 2022 I got a bank account on 60 day TR in Bangkok. I speak a little Thai, but it was mostly English. At the time they required I get an affidavit from my embassy saying I was who I am, but I think it's gotten harder since then to get a bank account on a tourist visa.

That said, a friend of mine paid ฿50,000 here in Chiang Mai (about $1,400 US) and had his hand held for everything (bank account. O visa, extension, etc.). If I was starting out again I might go that route just because of the current (apparent) bank account challenge and how great the visa service was for him. There's a few really good agents here in CM and a simple Google search will show the best ones.

The advantage of doing yourself, as others have said, is that you understand everything and learn the systems and you're able to control everything and not rely on anyone. That, to me, is a great benefit.

I've also been able to do other chores / tasks by myself with limited Thai. Sometimes my Thai GF comes with me, but that's usually less helpful than going by myself because they just talk to her and I'm left wondering what it is I'm agreeing to.

"That said, a friend of mine paid ฿50,000 here in Chiang Mai (about $1,400 US) and had his hand held for everything (bank account. O visa, extension, etc.). If I was starting out again I might go that route just because of the current (apparent) bank account challenge and how great the visa service was for him. There's a few really good agents here in CM and a simple Google search will show the best ones."

US$1400 for something you can do yourself at no cost? To each his own.

What bank account challenge? It's possible to get one open in a few hours if you bring the right papers.

Another reason I wouldn't want a visa agent is because a google search will *not* show you the best ones, it will show ones who know how to turn up at the top of the search. Unless you have a personal recommendation, you're taking a chance with any visa agent, they could be completely incompetent, but still happily take your US$1400.

@rbakker

Not sure how easy it is now to get a bank account, but have been told that they tightened the reg's from someone who just arrived and has been unsuccessful thus far.

By google search I meant well and abundantly reviewed services. The one my friend used is also well reviewed more broadly online. Not saying this is the best approach, but an option for those who need / want some support in the process.

I was able to get a bank account in Chiang Mai in December, no problems.

The new opening a new bank account government requirements started this year.

Before the new rules kicked in it was easier to open a new account now not as easy.

The new opening a new bank account government requirements started this year.
Before the new rules kicked in it was easier to open a new account now not as easy.

-@Walnutcharles
Can you give us link to that information ??
Thanks kindly.

What are the new requirements?

A link for all banks and how to

https://www.austchamthailand.com/how-to … to%20open.

Thanks, good summary. No new requirements though.

@rbakker

Yeah... I am not aware of new requirements... let's wait for the link....

A link for all banks and how to
https://www.austchamthailand.com/how-to … to%20open.-@martinoo2002

Great link. It talks about different types of accounts, do you know if there is a specific requirement for the 800k account?

And would it not be wise to use a seperate account for this? i.e. have two accounts, one for the 800k and one for daily spending, atm, etc.

So much misinformation about getting a retirement visa out there. Not sure why youtubers etc. more or less all say you need an agent. Anyway, finally found a great guide on youtube, link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm1CYhv … onaJourney

60 day tourist visa from the local embassy, find condo, establish a bank account with 800k and do the visa thing. Easy pz :)

@JonSt

Yeah, you can do that and make the 800K a deposit and earn some interest

Indeed if you understand the process and can meet the requirements, you really do not need an agent

All forms I had were in thai only.

@Walnutcharles

For the bank you mean??

Because TM7, TM45, TM30 are all bilingual

Anyway the choice of an agent also depends on your needs, but at the bank they will help you

The requirements can be downloaded

Do it needs some work, but next year you will have the same issues if you not push it a little!!

"And would it not be wise to use a seperate account for this? i.e. have two accounts, one for the 800k and one for daily spending, atm, etc."

That's what I did. Set and forget. Never have to worry about going below 800k.