UK Pension as Spanish Citizen

Quick question please - if I become a Spanish citizen, am I still able to claim my UK pension?

Quick question please - if I become a Spanish citizen, am I still able to claim my UK pension?

-@matthewrjones85

Yes

Yes...

@SimCityAT

Hi. I have been told that you can still have your uk pension although you won't receive the annual increase.

I am hoping that this is the case as I am planning to retire over there within the next 2 years .

Regards

Carole

@matthewrjones85

yes, but you will probably pay spanish income tax on it if you are a spanish resident.

@Caroleann

not sure about the ” annual increase” bit,

@SimCityAT
Hi. I have been told that you can still have your uk pension although you won't receive the annual increase.
I am hoping that this is the case as I am planning to retire over there within the next 2 years .

Regards
Carole

-@Caroleann

The information can be found here > https://www.gov.uk/new-state-pension/living-and-working-overseas

@matthewrjones85

If you are (or soon will be) retired, I'm not sure why you'd even want to bother with a Spanish passport.

Spain doesn't allow dual nationality (at least for Brits), so you'd have to renounce your UK citizenship.

It takes a long time to get it, and it involves tests of your Spanish and constitutional knowledge. My partner has just been approved for her Spanish passport, and it took her 5 years... even though she was applying under the Ibero-American exception (2 years of residence only).

In 5 years, you will get a Permanent Residence permit. This gives you the right to live in Spain indefinitely, and it carries a degree of EU mobility, should you need it.

My partner can keep her Brazilian passport (another Ibero-American exception) so I can see why she's keen. For me, I can't see any significant benefits over my PR.

Hi. I have a uk and Irish passport I am of the understanding that as I hold an EU passport residency in spain shouldn't be too difficult, along with the fact I can claim mu uk pension...am I wrong?

Regards

@Caroleann

EU passport holders enjoy Freedom of Movement, with a very straightforward process for EU Citizen Registration.

If you're entitled to a UK pension, the UK will pay it to you wherever you live, including Spain.

@gwynj

Ooo lovely 😃😃 👍👍👍👍 good so far.

Kind regards

Carole.