UK Criminal Record

For me, this matter is of great concern.

In brief - 37 years ago - I was convicted of shoplifting and paid a hefty fine.  My life changed from that day.  I held down good jobs, brought a flat etc and never committed any crime afterwards.

I subsequently married but my husband is very against law breaking (theft) so I never told him my past..  Now we intend to move to Spain, but my criminal record haunts me.   

The fact 'No Live Trace' will show on my application and my husband's will show 'No Trace' will cause a problem.   

My friend suggested I 'play down' my crime - ie just say I was caught drink driving at a young age - but I worry what I did will actually be mentioned, ie shoplifting.

So what I'd like to know is does anyone in authority actually mention the nature of the crime you were actually convicted of?

They might ask for more details if it is not specific enough or if you have to appeal anything.  On a side note- if he can't get over something you did 37 years ago, that's a red flag.

@Maddy64 hi on my experience the offence will not be mentioned but I'm afraid you maybe turned down on your first application, you then have to appeal and this is when you have to discuss the offence as I had to get a lawyer to fight my appeal in which he broke down the offence stating that in Spain the offence would not be on my record any more (spent) so it may come to light what your offence was for at this time, sorry this isn't good news but fingers crossed you pay get through on your first application and your husband will be none the wiser 🙏🏽

@sherylmulloy Thanks for taking the time to reply & for your honesty in how you think my application may be viewed.  I don't honestly know what to do at present but we are thinking of applying in 18 months time so I have a reprieve for now....  Again, thanks.

@Maddy64

A non-custodial sentence (fine only) from nearly 40 years ago (when you plan to apply) sounds like small potatoes to me! I'd be very surprised if the Spanish Embassy denied your visa because of this. However, when they see "no live trace", it would not be a surprise if they asked you about it.

ACRO will issue your criminal record certificates. If you have "no live trace", I believe you can (and should) ask them for a further letter confirming the details of the conviction(s) on their system. You can show this if you do get asked for more information about your past.

@gwynj Thank you  I am going to contract ACRO and will see what comes back on my record.  Will take your advice from there.   Thank you.

This probably isn't as helpful as it could be but why should your husband be bothered about something that happened 37 years ago? Surely he can accept who you are now and not who you were 37 years ago?!

@nicolaespana @nicolaespana

Hi - yes of course I understand what you say, but it's very difficult to explain to someone that you have lied for over 20 years.

My husband is VERY honest & law abiding and I have sat and agreed with him on many occasions about the 'low life' that steal!!    It's not that easy admit suddenly I am one of the 'low life!'     

Of course he will not divorce me or anything drastic like that, but it's the deceit for so long that will be the problem.

I never thought we would want to move abroad and just put my past out of my mind therefore not telling him.  It's just a nightmare now.

Hi,

I have "no live trace" on my police certificate for a common assault caution many years ago.

I am hoping to apply for a Spanish golden visa soon and wondering what my chances are of getting it.

Has anyone had experience applying with a "no live trace" acro?

How did it go, did they ask about it, or ask you to get a subject access request?

@asuch87 How did this go?

@gwynj Hi my Police Certificate arrived “No Live Trace” with a main letter & a third sheet showing any offences when committed, what they are and fines

@alkazar54

Was this for a Spanish visa application?

Did they mention it or asked you anything about it during your application.

@sherylmulloy if your still on here, could you tell me what solicitor you used please. My husband has had his refused for a DD conversion 12 years ago. Think we need to appeal. Desperately need to win as we have a house out in spain we are living in.