Null and void a previous marriage

I was married to a Filipina in the Philippines back in 2007. I brought her to the US in 2009, where we stayed for 1 year before deciding to move permanently back to the Philippines in 2010. The relationship starting breaking apart before we moved back to the Philippines. After just a few months in Cebu City in 2010, she left and went back to her family in Iligan, Mindanao. Nov 2010  receive an email from her saying she is in Virginia, USA. I was shocked, informed authorities that she falsified numerous documents to travel there......but no govt agency seemed to care. The last messages I received were in 2012. I have no idea her address or contact info.

I tried to get annulment, but attorney and others could not find her location.

Its been almost 14 years since she left, 12+ with no communications. I have heard that under these circumstances that a marriage can be made null and void.

Does anyone have any experience, knowledge, or attorneys info?

Welcome to expat.com.  All stories about annullments are long and expensive.  Sounds like you are fortunate in not having heard from her in 12 years.  Why not just get on with your life, explaining to any females you become involved with that you are married to a disappeared wife.  No need to get legally involved with another Filipina.

@Gregorio2020

See if you can have her legally declared as being deceased.

If nothing else, the authorities contacting her family might just flush her out. 1f609.svg

@Aidan in HCMC

Thanks.....actually, I heard an attorney claim that after no contact, no confirmed address...that she could be declared dead.....leaving the door open for future marriage.

Actually I have gotten on with my life....been together with a good filipina lady for 10+ years. I would like to legally marry....we have an 8 year old beautiful daughter.

There are advantages to be married to a citizen of the Philippines,  might be worth pursuing.

There are advantages to be married to a citizen of the Philippines,  might be worth pursuing.
        -@mugteck

I'm admittedly not familiar with Philippine immigration law.

Might there be immigration/residency advantages afforded the widow/widower of a Philippine citizen?

In Vietnam (sadly) there appears not to be, and so I'm curious. (Link)

The big advantage I use is the balikbayan I get stamped on my passport when I enter the country with my Filipina wife.  She shows paperwork that she is a duel citizen traveling on a US passport, and that we are married.  I get to stay for a year, no other immigration dealings.  After a year I can leave, enter the country with her again and have another year.

The big advantage I use is the balikbayan I get stamped on my passport when I enter the country with my Filipina wife.  She shows paperwork that she is a duel citizen traveling on a US passport, and that we are married.  I get to stay for a year, no other immigration dealings.  After a year I can leave, enter the country with her again and have another year.         -@mugteck

Understood, and quite similar to immigration rules relating to spouses of VN citizens.

But what of foreigners in the Philippines in a legal, recognized marital relationship with a Philippine citizen, who find themselves widowed?

Might there be immigration/residency advantages afforded the widow/widower of a Philippine citizen?

In some cases they could lose their permanent resident visa if their status depended on having a Filipino spouse.