Vietnam driver's license?

Does anyone know if there is (can be) any sort of translation service for an English speaker taking the Vietnamese driver's license written test?

I don't think so but if you have a current US driver's license it is very easy to get a new VN license - paperwork only with no testing required.  The main issue is that the license will expire on the earliest of:

Your current US DL

Your visa

Your passport

This isn't a problem if you are on a TRC or VEC but if you are on 30 or 90 day tourist visas it's not practical.

Does anyone know if there is (can be) any sort of translation service for an English speaker taking the Vietnamese driver's license written test?

-@Jeff-FL

That would defeat the purpose...

Jeff - If you mean to ask if there is any service that will help you prepare to take the test, including providing study translations, there are a number of visa agencies and others advertising on Face.book who provide that type of assistance.

I can only fully recommend one such company in Vietnam, and they only provide classes (including figure 8 practice) here in Đà Nẵng.

Good luck!

Does anyone know if there is (can be) any sort of translation service for an English speaker taking the Vietnamese driver's license written test?        -@Jeff-FL

If you mean someone to translate the questions for you as you answer the questions on the A2 (or the B1, or higher) test, then no.

All reports are that you must complete the multiple-choice questionnaire, solo.

(the A1, of course, requires no written test)

When I took the test last year there was absolutely no option to take a translated version. I hired an agent to help me study and I honestly could not digest the 300 or so multiple options that I needed to memorize to be able to pass the test. I decided to just not try and take the written test and get my home license converted to a VN A1 license. Since I did not have a motorcycle endorsement on my home license in the united states I was required to do the driving test (figure 8) and passed first time. I had to practice about 2 or 3 days for an hour each day to get it right. They gave me a license that lasted the rest of the time remaining on my visa exemption which was about 6 months.

What is interesting that happened with me that may or may NOT be normal is that when I went to renew my drivers license that expired they went ahead and issued me a NON expiring forever license. I dont think this is normal. Its very possible this was a mistake. Either way I am super grateful for that mistake. Getting a license renewed is a huge pain that takes almost a whole day.

Last I understood, the International Driving Permit covers driving in Vietnam & I just got it when I was back in UK. Just checked it & it covers everything that is noted as covered in my UK driving licence. Have not tested it with a police stop yet but I live in hope!

@OceanBeach92107

Only if the test does nothing more than show street signs and ask you what they mean. I'm sure it's not that easy. 

@OceanBeach92107

That will work too. Thanks!  :)

@Jeff-FL

GREAT answers from everyone! Thank you all very much.

@OceanBeach92107
That will work too. Thanks!  smile.png-@Jeff-FL

check private messages

@jrharvey what is the process to convert your US lisense to VN? Also, where did you do all of this? Any other details are appreciated.

All the best!

Mike