Washington State driver's license with the CLASS field empty.

I'm trying to renew my VN car driver's license, using the same Washington State driver's license that I used two years ago. My TRC expired last month, and I got a new TRC. The license expired on the same day that my TRC expired. Getting the license two years ago went smoothly. But there is a problem now even though I'm using the same license to support my application.

The people at the licensing office (in Danang) are balking because the CLASS field on my license is empty. The Washington State Department of Licensing doesn't clearly explain that an empty CLASS field is the basic license for driving a car. I called the Washington DOL call center (twice) and they refused to send an email or provide any other documentation. I submitted printouts from the DOL website and a third-party website that describe the CLASSes used in Washington, but they want something that more clearly and directly explains the empty CLASS field.

There are other states where an empty CLASS is for the basic car driver's license. Has anyone else experienced this issue and overcome it? I think they would accept something from a third-party website.