Response from Thai consulate re visa O

This is the response I have received from the Thai consulate in Sydney when I applied for the type O visa (90 days stay)

"

With regards to your visa application, please see below for the comment from the visa officer:

Please submit;

1. The complete application form (specific proposed address in Thailand)

2. The Health Insurance certificate

3. An official bank statement / proof of balance

"

To my understanding from previous posts, no other country has this requirement. And the consulate stopped answering the phone for the past 2 weeks...So can anyone help me so I know once and for all what are the right requirements?

I even tried to look for heath insurance cover for this type of visa but there was no option for policy for type O visa, so obviously it can NOT be a requirement!

Thanks

The health insurance is not specific to the visa type its your visa length of stay so if you are staying for 90 days then you get health insurance to cover you for for them 90 days

Here is what I found on the health insurance requirements. I believe these are the minimum needed to meet. I also believe that this is a mandatory requirement for the OA visa.

Marc

Here is the basic requirements for health insurance in Thailand.

For In-patient: health insurance policy must have coverage at least 400,000 Thai Baht per policy year.

For Out-patient: health insurance policy must have coverage at least 40,000 Thai Baht per policy year.

Effective from 1 October 2021, the applicant must be insured for the entire period of stay in Thailand with the following coverage:

– Health insurance must cover Covid-19 disease with the total sum insured of no less than 3,000,000 THB or $100,000 per policy year.

Here is one company that was recommended to me. safetywing

I am looking at a policy with Cigna for long term though.

@marclarouche

Just learned about this provider which I will look into asap.

Marc

pacificcross

@Stefan Barker

You're missing the point... According to other members of this forum, you DO NOT require health insurance for type O visa. I also been told the same by a consulate person over the phone but when I submit my application without it, they decline it because I don't have a certificate. It only happens in Australia, as other countries can apply for e-visa which doesn't require this certificate. So I guess us Aussies are special, as always...

@ThailandHereICome

I got your point but I was told that I have to have health insurance for that visa. I might be getting bad information or it is in fact different for Australians. I have to go back to the person I spoke with at the Los Angeles CA Thai embassy and make sure I in fact need it.

Marc

@ThailandHereIComei

I applied to the Thai Canberra embassy back in October ,  for  a non immgrant type O visa 90 days ,

obviously you need ,  passport ,  address  in Thailand ,  sufficient funds in bank , i did not have to pre book my air ticket , and was not asked to supply health insurance ,

but i do have a Thai wife , if that makes any differance  ?

you need to understand when dealing with Thai Bureaucrats it is not a ezact science , its how they feel  on the day

@petercurr55

thanks

That is the feeling I am getting :)

Marc

I am from the USA so I do not know about your requirements.

But what I did was

1) at the Thai airport I picked up a 30 day visa outside a small card I had to fill out waiting in the migration line that was all that was needed to get the 30 day visa.

2) then I applied when I was in Thailand for a extension. Yes, I used a Thailand visa service company as it was easy for me and the 2ed visa did cost a little money others here can tell you how much but I think it was under $100.00 USA.  The I paid a one fee that included everything including the taxi ride to and from the gov. visa place to my visa service company.

You can apply for the extension your self or with a service.  You can also email or call the a visa service and they can talk to you and if you want. I did before I came to Thailand and started the process. 

@ThailandHereICome hello mate. i was in Thailand on an O visa at the beginning of this year. I was visiting from the UK. All i had to do was extend my usual travel insurance to cover me for 90 days instead of 60 days, which obviously includes health insurance. Applied for the evisa online and it was granted in under 24 hours, so i dont understand why it should be any different if you're visiting from Australia? Unless there has been a change in the requirements since i applied, which knowing Thailand is possible. Hope you get sorted👍🏻

@ThailandHereICome in your evisa application just send a photocopy of your travel insurance cover and that will detail the health insurance cover you have, which in most policies issued overseas far exceeds the requirements of the health insurance requested by the Thai authorities and you should be good to go👍🏻

As most people who are in Thailand regularly, Thai officials seem to think that they can state whatever they want at any given time, My Wife and I have spoken directly to the Thai Embassy in London, the Immigration Department at Suvarnabhumi Airport and the main Immigration offices in Buriram, over 5 Days and where told completely different requirements, at one point the Embassy told us to check with the immigration at the Airport, as they no longer knew for sure, as things were changing so often!. Now that one was a Joke, because what we were told by Immigration at the Airport was totally incorrect and ended up costing me a further hundred pounds.

Thailand has got to be the best Country in the world for THE LEFT HAND DOES NOT KNOW WHAT THE RIGHT HAND IS DOING. If it wasn't so infuriating it would be bloody hilarious

Its a beautiful place to live, but the way it is run is like something out of the "Key Stone Cops"

you just have to laugh or it will make you crazy

Everytime I go to immigration for an extension or anything

I bring absolutely anything I think they may ask for.

And it still usually isn't enough.

I feel your frustration

@cliffsao

Thats Thsiland !