Exchanging your driving licence

In theory......lol

If your driver's license is expiring, you can exchange them for Cypriot ones and renew the document. This service is available to those who have lived on the island for more than six months.

Most foreigners, to obtain Cypriot licenses, do not need to retake exams; it is sufficient to gather the necessary documents and visit any representative office of the Cyprus Department of Transport (TOM).

If someone else is submitting the documents on your behalf, you will need to have a corresponding power of attorney and authenticated photos on hand.

Let's go through the procedure and nuances of this process. At the end of the blog, I will also share my personal experience of exchanging Russian licenses for Cypriot ones in the city of Larnaca.

Who Can Exchange Licenses in Cyprus

According to Section 20 of the Cyprus Driving License Law 2001-2004, the country recognizes driver's licenses or learner's permits issued by the European Union and the competent authority of countries included in the list below. These are countries that have joined the International Conventions on Road Traffic Safety and have mutual exchange agreements. For tourists, the driver's licenses of these countries are valid for a maximum of 90 days, while permanent residents (residents) can use them for 6 months (185 days). After this period, drivers must exchange their licenses for Cypriot ones.

Australia

Canada

Georgia

Iceland

Japan

Liechtenstein

New Zealand

Norway

Russia

Serbia

South Africa

South Korea

Switzerland

United Kingdom

Ukraine

United Arab Emirates

United States

Zimbabwe

At the TOM office, they state that citizens of the European Union exchange their European licenses if they have expired. Citizens of post-Soviet countries that are not on the list will have to take exams according to the law. For example, Cyprus does not exchange licenses from Belarus, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, and many other countries, but you can drive on them for a limited time. An exception is international driver's licenses.

How Long Does the License Exchange Take

The minimum time required for exchanging licenses is 15 days, and the maximum is one month, which is considered fast by Cypriot standards. So, if your document is about to expire, don't delay. On the day of submitting the documents, the applicant spends an average of one hour. You can only collect the ready licenses during working hours.

To avoid having to return to the department office, it is advisable to bring the most complete set of documents with their photocopies, a photo, and for paying the government fee, it is better to have both cash and a card on hand. You never know when the equipment might malfunction, and the photographer might go on vacation.

Old driver's licenses will be taken away

Be prepared that you will have to surrender your old licenses. They will be sent to the embassy, and from there to the city that issued the document. When you return home, you can either restore your local licenses or drive with Cypriot licenses.

Procedure for Exchanging Licenses in Cyprus

Step 1: Call the Department of Transport and Make an Appointment

First, call the nearest Department of Transport office (Τμημα Οδικων Μεταφορον - ΤΟΜ) and schedule an appointment (they call it a rendezvous in Cyprus).

A list with phone numbers is provided at the end of the blog.

In theory, you can choose any convenient department office, regardless of the city where you reside permanently.

Why is this important? Sometimes, you can submit your documents and receive your new license right away, while other times, you may have to wait. It varies from one city to another. On average, people wait for their turn for up to two weeks. Considering that it takes a minimum of two weeks to process the licenses, the exchange will take about a month.

If you manage to reach the Department, they will provide you with detailed information about the latest changes in the list of required documents, appointment times, and the situation with queues at your local department.

Step 2: Collect a Document Package

Usually, on the day of the appointment, they ask you to bring the originals and photocopies of the following documents:

Passport with marks of entry and exit.

Cyprus residence permit (MEU1/MEU2/MEU3).

Driver's license.

In addition to these, you need to provide evidence that you have been living in Cyprus continuously for the last 6 months. They recommend bringing electricity bills, and it's even better to have a statement from the EAC office in the applicant's name. If payment was made by one of the spouses in the family, you should supplement the document package with the original and a copy of the marriage certificate. However, in this case, they may ask for additional evidence. As an option, you can provide a statement from a Cypriot bank, receipts for contributions to the social insurance fund, or even a school certificate if your child is studying there. However, a doctor's certificate from a doctor the applicant has visited in the last six months will not be accepted.

You can fill out form TOM 7D in advance (you can find the form at the Department of Transport office, at the police station, or download it from the internet and print it). You'll save about 10 minutes if you answer the questionnaire's questions in advance. Many people do it on the spot (you can also clarify any uncertainties). The form itself is in Greek, but you can answer the questions in English or Greek. The questions are standard and relate to the driver's health and social responsibility.

Step 3: Go to the Department of Transport to Submit Your Documents

When you arrive at the department, ask the secretary where they will accept the documents, whether they will take photographs, whether you need to submit form TOM 7D immediately, and where to go exactly. If there is no one who looks like a secretary, and the building consists of a million identical gray offices without signs and names, just ask anyone where they exchange licenses. Note that the TOM office typically opens around 8 am, but they usually invite you to exchange licenses no earlier than 9 am.

Find out who is the last in line.

Later, a department employee will check the completed TOM 7D form, examine all the documents, and stamp the form. You may need to provide some documents later, but they will tell you whether they will accept them immediately or not. Unfortunately, the information over the phone and the list of documents on the day of submission may not match partially. Let's not attribute this nuance to local specifics; bureaucracy is bureaucracy. Different people provide information and accept documents.

If there is a photo booth, they will send you there to have your picture taken.

Next, a department employee will ask you to pay the government fee.

Temporary licenses will be issued to the applicant, which can be exchanged for new Cypriot licenses approximately 15 days later, after receiving an SMS notification on your phone.

You can choose the location for collecting the new licenses yourself: the Department of Transport, Citizen Service Center (ΚΕΠ), or the post office.

As you can see, it's all quite simple. Below, we provide a list of documents, office addresses, and, for those interested, a personal experience of exchanging licenses in Cyprus.

List of Documents

Completed form TOM 7D (ready printouts are available at Department of Transport branches, at the police station, or you can download the files from the internet).

A recent photo measuring 45x35 mm, complying with passport photo standards. Sometimes, they take photos on-site. If someone is applying for new licenses through a proxy, you definitely can't do without a photo.

Passport and a photocopy of the page with personal data in the passport. They will definitely check the entry and exit stamps from Cyprus for the last six months.

Driver's license and a copy of the driver's license (you will need to surrender the old one).

Translation of the driver's license if it's not in English. The translation must be in English or Greek.

Residence permit (MEU1/MEU2/MEU3) and its photocopy.

Proof that you have been living in Cyprus continuously for more than 6 months, referring to the last six months.

If the applicant is over 70 years old, a medical certificate issued by a doctor may be required.

The government fee for reissuing driver's licenses is €40 (for applicants under 65 years old), and it's free for those over 65 years old.

Addresses of Department of Transport Offices in Cyprus

The Department offices operate from 8:00 AM to 3:00 PM on weekdays. The time for accepting documents for driver's license renewal is usually from 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM.

It's advisable to call ahead before going. You should confirm the exact document submission hours, whether photocopies and translations of all documents are required, payment options for the government fee (cash or card), and whether you need to have your photograph taken on the day of document submission.

Here is the full list of addresses:

Nicosia Office: 27 Vasileos Pavlou, 2412 Nicosia, Phone: 22815749.

Limassol Office: Koroivou, Polemidia, 3112 Limassol, Phone: 25870515.

Paphos Office: Mesogi Industrial Area, 8061 Mesogi, Paphos, Phone: 26821356.

Larnaca Office: Acropoleos Avenue 13, Aradippou Industrial Area, 7101 Aradippou, Larnaca, Phone: 24813228.

Deryneia Office: 24 Albert Einstein, Deryneia Industrial Area, 5380 Deryneia, Ammochostos, Phone: 23815170.

Driver's License Exchange in Larnaca: Personal Experience

My Russian driver's license had been due for renewal for a while. I checked the document, and the expiration date was approaching fast. I had to hurry.

I called the Department of Transport in Larnaca. They picked up the phone immediately. They said I could come on any weekday from 9 AM to around 1 PM. I should bring documents proving that I had been living in Cyprus for the last 6 months, my driver's license, passport, and residence permit. They also mentioned that proof could include electricity bills, issued in my spouse's name, along with a translated marriage certificate. Other forms of proof were also acceptable. So, there were no queues or appointments expected.

I started gathering the documents and, just in case, requested certificates from all possible institutions. Surprisingly, my orthodontist, whom I visit monthly, issued a beautiful certificate on the organization's letterhead promptly. For the sake of the experiment, I decided to try and bring this certificate as well. Without making any delays, I rushed to the Department of Transport. I didn't manage to make photocopies.

I arrived at the specified address at 8:50 AM. The area indeed resembled an industrial zone. In the distance, I could see gloomy warehouses filled with wrecked cars. Only a giant sign reading "ΤΟΜ" on the left side of the road from Larnaca's center indicated that there was some government institution here, not just a tire shop. The blooming, fragrant Cypriot winter surrounded the building.

The waiting room was completely empty. I knocked on the door of the office, and they asked me to wait. Exactly at 9 AM, a small group of other visitors arrived, no more than 8 people. You can split them into two groups since most people come with a support group. There are no electronic queues or anything like that. It's a traditional live queue.

We dropped the completed TOM 7D forms into a box next to the office door. In the photo above, it's on the right side of the door. Later, a department employee called out names from those who had submitted the form in advance.

Visitors diligently filled out the TOM 7D forms. Nevertheless, we strongly recommend doing this in advance.

The head of the department accepted the documents. Unfortunately, the electricity bills in my husband's name did not satisfy him. He requested even more evidence! And here I am, feeling embarrassed, pulling out my trump card—the certificate from the orthodontist—and flashing a big smile. And what do you think? I was eventually sent to the school where my child studies. Furthermore, they were not interested in the fact that I had been permanently residing in Cyprus for several years; what mattered was the last six months. Fortunately, the school certificate was almost ready, and I managed to return to the Department of Transport well before closing time.

They quickly accepted the documents. The only thing that slowed down the process was the photocopier, which they explained was working intermittently. The mystery remains about what exactly they copied, as they took the whole stack of papers. They selected the photograph from those I brought with me.

They promised to issue the temporary license within 2-3 days, but in the end, I received it the following morning. It's an A4-sized document that I need to carry with me. When I asked how to drive without a license, they said that in case of any issues, I should direct the police to the department. Very Cypriot indeed. The government fee can only be paid by card on the day of issuing the temporary license.

They promised to give me the permanent license in a month at the Citizen Service Center (ΚΕΠ) or by mail.

Source https://domcar.com.cy/en/live/documents … in-cyprus/