Military medical discharge/marriage/visa?

i'll try to keep this brief and i would be eternally grateful for some solid direct advice and planning..

Im 37, UK soldier, now about to go through the medical discharge route (brain injury/anxiety/PTSD, i'll be fine and pose no risk to myself or others or require any treament). i have a long term gf in the Philippines and we intend to marry in the coming year (brought forward due to discharge). my problem is..what visa do i need to submit? because my situation isnt simple. i will be under 50 years old AND receive full army pension lump sum + monthlys forever, does this qualify me as a "retired person"? so what criteria if any would i fall into? what deposit would i have to pay? in what order do i need to do things?..planning the marriage and whats requried?..do i return to the uk afterwards and then submit a marriage visa?

Kind Regards,

T

I had a quick look online since the SRRV Retired Military Visa would be my best option if I decided to retire in the Philippines. Simple and cheap but unfortunately you do need to be 50 or over and retired to get this.

I had a quick look online since the SRRV Retired Military Visa would be my best option if I decided to retire in the Philippines. Simple and cheap but unfortunately you do need to be 50 or over and retired to get this.        -@Cherryann0

There was a certain nationality from north of here that was getting SRRV at age 35ish. These people are still military age. A certain senator questioned the whole process of these youth "retiring" here and they looked at the purpose of SRRV which is retirement, not immigration. So they raised the age to 50...it could still be considered a temporary development but I don't think so.

i would be classed as 'retired military' albeit im 37 and recieve immediate pension as soon as i leave. im just trying to figure out which is the correct visa/way/process or whatever category i fall into.

@tonyuk6340 But you have not reached retirement age, you are just retired from the military. I "retired" early from IBM age 55 and received a pension but I transfered to lenovo and continued to work thru age 67 when I really did retire.

@tonyuk6340 Hi, the easiest way is to come here as a tourist (visa free for 30 days) and then you extend the visa (29 days initially) and then for periods of 2 months or 6 months until you get married and have your 13a marriage visa. As soon as you are married (and have all the documents), you can apply for the 13a visa which is valid as long as you are married. (initially 1 year, then unlimited). There is no need to apply for an expensive SRRV.

To get married here you need from your country:

• a certificate that you are not married in the UK (you will get this from your embassy/consulate in the Philippines)
  • if you were divorced the original divorce papers from the UK (this is a requirement)
  • birth certificate
  • Passport

Then you go with your gf to the PSA in your region and request a CENOMAR (Certificiate not married) for her and for yourself.

With this papers, your passport, the ID of your gf as well as her birth certificate you can go to the local civil registrar and request a licence to get married.

If all papers are to their satisfaction they will assign you to a training about marriage (it took 4 hours for us and it was funny). Next you need to go to the office of the mayor and request an appointment for the wedding ceremony. The procedure itself will take about 10 minutes. The mayor will read something which you need to confirm. Then you sign your marriage certificate, however, this needs to be validated by the PSA. This can take between 3 weeks and 3 months. As soon as you have the marriage contract on PSA paper you can go to the NBI and request their clearance for the 13a visa. Depending where you are it can take between 6 weeks and 3 months to get the 13a visa.

Before you get married you should know that:

• the family is the most important thing for the girls in the Philippines
  • if you marry a girl from the Philippines, you marry her family too
  • the parents, brothers, sisters, ..... expect that they get supported from her (especially if there is a foreigner in the family)
  • in case your wife will not have an income, make sure how much pocket money you will give her. (somewhere between 15.000 and 20.000 Pesos)
  • there is no divorce in the Philippines (only an expensive anullment)
  • if she has kids, make sure where they stay (with you, her parents, her sister, .....)
  • as a foreigner you cannot buy any property except a condominium unit. If your dream is a house by the ocean, then it is on the name of your wife
  • there are a lot of gold digger girls here. If she asks you for money without knowing you, it can be an indication that she is one of them

I am together with my wife for 7 years now and we are living in a condo in Boracay. I never regretted that I have married her.

All the best and greetings from sunny Boracay

Andy

@tonyuk6340

Firstly welcome to the forum, hope you find some answers here.

Do you intend to retire to the Philippines or simply come here, marry then at some stage return to the UK with your new wife?

At 37 even given your condition why not keep working (different field) and build your wealth as well as keeping yourself active?

Dan well done, I did similar, sold my plumbing business @ 32. I, my wife and daughter travelled Australia for over 2 years then I fell into the film industry, worked in Oz and overseas for 25 years until Covid hit, March 2020 I retired and fortunately I was here at the time.

To Tony, simply come on a visitor visa, renew as required with immi and you have up to 3 years before you need to exit for the day or holiday, return and start again. Works for me. In the mean time if you marry while here then you can apply for a 13a visa, no need for a fixed deposit just annual fees, others here can fill you in on the details, those more learned than me.

Good luck.

Cheers, Steve.

@Andy_1963 Andy, that is the best response i've had yet, so a huge thank you from me!  yeah im aware of the notes at the bottom there that you touched on, shes full time employed in a very respectful firm, doesnt strike me as a bad person, shes paid her own way and visited me here in the UK too, so once we are married i'll be buying us both a house together (im cool if it goes in her name), im buying her dad the house next to ours if all goes well, a closed community complex new build. Thanks again for the reply, thats put me at ease :)

Kind Regards,

Tony

Buying her dad a HOUSE? Next door? Wow. Did she talk you out into that??

Not sure what to say Dan but yes fraught with danger, endless possibilities and a hole in the bank account. While sure I helped Bens family over many years they also cared for us but I stopped the donations 2 years ago as I saw the big picture, the laziness and excuses and they are still all fit well and healthy. Don't need my input it seems. The writing was on the wall when Bens sister wanted to borrow money, he made it clear to her that it needs to be paid back as you can afford, 5/6 years later nada, Ben asked her a few times and she laughed at him saying that we are wealthy and can afford, been asked many times since but Ben always tells them to go see his sister and borrow our money from her. Asking stopped 2 years ago when I stopped paying P40K per year for medications to Bens father, still going strong aside from his last stroke. We keep away from family woes and financials these days.

Cheers, Steve.

Tony..welcome. There are a lot of helpful people here that aren't afraid to pass their knowledge on. A few crackpots occasionally, some comedians.

If I remember correctly, the marriage license requires a background check in addition to the list provided by Andy. You can use the local background check (NBI) to suffice only after residing here for 5 years or more. To cover yourself, stop by a police station in the UK before you leave.

Nothing in the Philippines is fast or highly automated, so plan on numerous visits to the offices (unless your fiancee "knows" someone to expedite the process. We had a "connected" friend help us navigate, but even then it was at least 3 visits to accomplish. Prepare to be sent to many people in various rooms. This is "normal" here.

If your fiancee knows of a minister that's willing to officiate, that's a better choice, as you will be able to personalize your vows, instead of the "Wham, bam, thank you mam" vanilla service you will get from judges, etc.

I agree that your only option (other than tourist visa with the requisites extensions...) is the 13A visa. The first will be issued for a year, but the renewal will be lifetime as long as you stay married. The I-Card issued expires every 5 years and renewal isn't so hard.

Check with the military to see if your retirement pay can be deposited in a Philippines bank. If so find a bank that will give you a Euro account. That way YOU choose the conversion rate. If the check must be deposited in a UK bank, shop around for a bank with the lowest transfer fees. Even if the bank has no branches nearby, it wont matter once you are here. There are many discussions on the forum regarding "the best transfer service" to use to get Euros into a Philippines account.

Many banks here require an Immigration Visa id card to open accounts for foreigners. So, until you've acquired the 13A, plan on using your fiancee's account for your financial "home base."

Best wishes!

Unless something like the Corona virus strikes, then all bets are off ... I was not allowed to travel to pay my Visa, then they told me later I had to pay fines for late filing. Then they told me I could only pay fines in Manila ... I live far away in Samal and can not afford plane ticket! With a very small retirement income! In the US we call that glued, screwed, and nailed! If you are coming to the Philippines I suggest a very large hidden bank roll to keep the crap hitting the fan from covering your face!

Unless something like the Corona virus strikes, then all bets are off ... I was not allowed to travel to pay my Visa, then they told me later I had to pay fines for late filing. Then they told me I could only pay fines in Manila ... I live far away in Samal and can not afford plane ticket! With a very small retirement income! In the US we call that glued, screwed, and nailed! If you are coming to the Philippines I suggest a very large hidden bank roll to keep the crap hitting the fan from covering your face!

-@dragmit

I would agree with the above advise. I am ex military myself so have a basic understanding of British Armed Forces Pensions. I know pension for people who are medically discharged from service are worked out on a tier system and I guess you fall into tier 2 or 3 and I also know that you will receive an enhanced pension, meaning that you will also be paid either 1/3 or 1/2 of the remaining 18 years up to age 55 so for you an extra 6 or 9 years on top of the actual years you served.

I am not going to ask you how much you will receive but I know you will get a lump sum of 3 times your annual pension when you are discharged and it seems to me your plans for 2 properties will eat most or all of this amount up. Do not forget that if you pay to build a property for your good ladies Dad, that will be 2 properties to furnish, 2 to pay bills for (electric, food, etc). Then there is the rest of your ladies family, brothers, sisters, cousins and the rest - they will probably be at your door with hands out expecting a hand out.

You do need to stash a good amount aside for yourself just in case and well out of the reach of your good lady.

I think you will also need a police repor from the UK, Tony. The NBI clearance only applies if you have been in the Philippines for 6 months or more.

in your situation, the 13A visa is your best bet, as it is not age restricted like the SRRV.

By the way, the annual renewal for the 13A is php 310. The id card has to be renewed every 5 years, but no recollection of the expense.  Sadly, the id has to be picked up from the main immigration office in Intramuros,  Manila. athere are,  however, approved agents that can handle the process (with the exception of the interview with you and your  wife…). i dont know how much they charge though.

Skip Scott said. . . .

(1) the 13A visa is your best bet, as it is not age restricted like the SRRV.

(2) By the way, the annual renewal for the 13A is php 310.

(3) Sadly, the id has to be picked up from the main immigration office in Intramuros,  Manila. athere are,  however, approved agents that can handle the process (with the exception of the interview with you and your  wife…). i dont know how much they charge though.

I would agree with this as my experience required many trips to immigration for ACR-1 and 13A.

During covid interviews were waived, I don't know the situation now. If they are doing interviews again, it would require an additional trip to BI.

Besides all the red tape and fees, if you are traveling (maybe by air) it will be an expensive experience. Myself living in the metro Manila area I wished I had used an agent. With the Grab fees I could have paid an agent.

@dragmit

With a very small retirement income! In the US we call that glued, screwed, and nailed!

And many expats come to the Philippines for a repeat performance.

Yes Lotus, we see it all the time, some come for love and some come for a cheaper existence and end up burnt. We settled back here for both reasons, (not the third to get burnt) We could have lived comfortably in Oz but chose here for the better half's family and live like kings, not looked back aside from the idiosyncrasies.

@dragmit

I also suffered the bureaucracy here, every day, the amnesty for overstayers from memory was the 1st of July 2020 when immi reopened during Covid, I was 2/3 days late and got slugged P1K, 500 for the overstay and the proverbial express lane fee. A very trying time for those wanting to come back and those that live here, regardless P1k never affected my budget. Sh1t happens.

Seems we have wandered off topic, Guilty as charged Sir.

Cheers, Steve.

@danfinn

Well money isnt really my main concern really, i already know my gf dad is very old and will eventually need close care, and being as my gf is the only relative for him it kinda makes sense to me to cater for him as comfortably as possible, im fully aware filipinos are very family orientated and im cool with that, im a people-pleaser. when the time comes for her dad to 'pass' i'll obviously sell that house. Dont get me wrong, i'm very educated on women playing the long-game, been caught out before. but this time, moving to PH is my only option now and i want to get things right so i can enjoy a quiet and peaceful life. although 37 i might be "young" but im no delinquent or mischievous party-goer. i've read quite a lot about how much older guys or retirees look down their nose at younger expats with such a negative prejudice, its like you think your are specially entitled, without knowing the full backstory of each individual who asks about living abroad. i will keep to myself and avoid people, i just want to live in my future house and will never interfere with anyone. i am too scared of social stuff and people because of whats happened to me during my 20 year duty in uk army. for me..its basically a mode of survival now,  i can no longer afford to live in the uk, cost of living is insane, so last year i started looking else where, and behold i found a place! manila. everyone speaks English, uk pounds to php is up, cost of living is cheap in comparison, so why not, im committed to moving and would really appreciate positive support from anyone. So at least give me the credit of considering me one of "you". Rant over.   

@Lotus Eater

that must be a US Army retiree income no? i have no idea, but all i know is my UK Army med discharge will cover me for the rest of my life, payments each month based on my injuries + time served (22 years when i leave),  how is US Army comp pension so bad?? i'll be set for life financially if i can make it to PH to live, + my med payments come each month forever is absolute jokes! but like i replied to someone else earlier..i just want quiet life now.

@tonyuk6340 So,  you get to take over the house when the father dies. That is much different than your original statement that you bought him a house. It sounds like you bought yourself two houses with one to loan to the father rent free. IF you were to actually put the deed in his name, ownership would be split amongst his children when he died(by law) and you would be out of the picture.

@tonyuk6340

i just want quiet life now.

And you are thinking of relocating to the Philippines ?🧐

@tonyuk6340
i just want quiet life now.

And you are thinking of relocating to the Philippines ?🧐

-@Lotus Eater

Quiet dogs  quiet roosters

@danfinn
Well money isnt really my main concern really, i already know my gf dad is very old and will eventually need close care, and being as my gf is the only relative for him it kinda makes sense to me to cater for him as comfortably as possible, im fully aware filipinos are very family orientated and im cool with that, im a people-pleaser. when the time comes for her dad to 'pass' i'll obviously sell that house. Dont get me wrong, i'm very educated on women playing the long-game, been caught out before. but this time, moving to PH is my only option now and i want to get things right so i can enjoy a quiet and peaceful life. although 37 i might be "young" but im no delinquent or mischievous party-goer. i've read quite a lot about how much older guys or retirees look down their nose at younger expats with such a negative prejudice, its like you think your are specially entitled, without knowing the full backstory of each individual who asks about living abroad. i will keep to myself and avoid people, i just want to live in my future house and will never interfere with anyone. i am too scared of social stuff and people because of whats happened to me during my 20 year duty in uk army. for me..its basically a mode of survival now,  i can no longer afford to live in the uk, cost of living is insane, so last year i started looking else where, and behold i found a place! manila. everyone speaks English, uk pounds to php is up, cost of living is cheap in comparison, so why not, im committed to moving and would really appreciate positive support from anyone. So at least give me the credit of considering me one of "you". Rant over.   

-@tonyuk6340

You mentioned that you suffer from anxiety and PTSD and I am very sorry to hear that. You also say that you are scared of social stuff and interacting with people but I do think you must address your fears for your own good and your future happiness and sanity. I am not suggesting that you go to bars but I do think that you need to make new friends when you retire over there and find some hobbies or interests that will enable you to do this. Maybe join a cycling club, tennis club, golf club and find yourself some friends (locals or ex pats or a mixture of both) to share your interests. I think that the worst thing you could do would be to live in a tiny bubble with just your future wife and her dad and a few of your ladies friends.

Regarding buying two properties - have you thought about purchasing some land and building one slightly larger house. You could design it in a way so you and your future wife and your future father in law can have privacy. Maybe your bedroom at one side, with bathroom and living/dinning area and then a connecting door that leads through to your fathers bedroom, bathroom and a small living are and maybe his own entrance door. I imagine your future wife will probably be cooking for her dad and doing his laundry anyway so why not make it a bit easier. You can still all eat together and watch TV in the main living area.

Just my thoughts.

@bigpearl @tonyuk6340  I agree with 'big pearl' - come here on a tourist visa, get married, renew as necessary, and apply for a 13a permanent resident visa (if you intend to retire here). Note that you will need things from your home country to apply - a police report, any divorce decrees, military discharge papers, etc. I suggest visiting the PH embassy website for the UK to get the details on what you will need. Good luck -- Rich

There use to be a visa where you only had to have served in the military not retired, you deposit $1500 the process was about $ 1400 the annual fee was $10 but I heard they had trouble with some individual's obtaining this visa, and last I heard they were strict on who was receiving the visa, they might have stopped it, might check into it

There use to be a visa where you only had to have served in the military not retired, you deposit $1500 the process was about $ 1400 the annual fee was $10 but I heard they had trouble with some individual's obtaining this visa, and last I heard they were strict on who was receiving the visa, they might have stopped it, might check into it

-@Okieboy

That exactly describes today's SRRV extended courtesy visa that so many vets avail of today. It is $1500 deposit, $1400 application and 500 php/$10 year for the SRRV card.

@OkieboyHi, i believe you are taking about the SSRV visa through the Philippine's Retirement Authority (PRA).  it still exists and it is quite an easy process  see this link for info https://pra.gov.ph/retiree-services/?gb … iOg_2lUQFi was still working when i got my visahope this helps and good luck