Healthcare

Hello, I'm Jim, Since American health insurance isn't accepted here...Yet. So that leaves getting an insurance plan here but at 57 everything is pre-existing,or take your chances in Guam. US mainland is just too long to fly due to my metal hip and bad back. What do you folks do?

jimsyfert said . . . .Hello, I'm Jim, Since American health insurance isn't accepted here...Yet. So that leaves getting an insurance plan here but at 57 everything is pre-existing,or take your chances in Guam. US mainland is just too long to fly due to my metal hip and bad back. What do you folks do?

If you were still living in the states and had insurance your pre-existing would have covered you. I'm thinking you're on ssdi (your age & metal hip & bad back).

This is a good lesson for future Expats, don't become Expats with health problems, if you have problems now, just wait a few years and experience more problems.  Also have your finances in order for the future.

The Philippines is not the land of Milk & Honey, it's more like Balut and Pag Pag for those with health problems and underwhelming income.

sad but true..........................

@attykroll

Yes indeed.

Enzyte Bob: 'The Philippines is not the land of Milk & Honey, it's more like Balut and Pag Pag for those with health problems and underwhelming income.'

Sometimes a real life story carries a greater impact on budding expats to the Philippines than the written word.

I'm sure most of you have had your fill of vlogs but the link below is an absolute must watch. A well balanced interview with two cerebral individuals. One has to admire the tenacity of the interviewee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Izp3q2gml_k

@Lotus Eater

I watched and interesting, a sad story with what appears to be a happy ending. Thanks for sharing.

Back to health care, a touchy topic, spend plenty of money or take the risk. For me and my choice. For many many years we had private health insurance in Australia as well as the mandatory Medicare that comes out in your taxes. We spent around 4/5K AU per year for private health cover and never used, sorry once for a knee operation (cartilage) in and out the same day and the bill was 2.5K AU.

I looked at it this way when we moved back here after looking at all the offered health insurance funds that we were going to continue to spend 4/5K a year So we went this way.

Both on PhilHealth, me P17K, Ben 4.2K or AU 580 bucks. that gets us into a bed in a private hospital and a 20/30% discount off the bill. Been here coming up to 5 years so saved say 20K, instead of giving it to an insurer, we put AU 50K aside 5 years ago that we don't touch that earns 5% per annum, the 50K sits there and the earned interest goes into the coffers every year.

This idea works well if you have spare money and the math tells you the long story so to date seems like we are some 30K ahead and the 50K sits there until I have a heart attack or stroke. 50K AU buys 1.8M pesos of hospital care lol and funeral costs. Reality is that the 50K is now worth 80K by not having private health insurance.

OMO and the way we do it.

Cheers, Steve.

Just to add to Bigpearl, fully agree with his approach, we did the same I am on PhilHealth for the 17K, additional we purchased from St Peters the funeral package includes everything and we bought the burial land do pretty much that is covered from a death perspective, less burden on the remaining family members.

We have also put aside some money, at this point we use Pag Ibig MP2 with an interest rate of 6% for 2022, it changes every year but the good thing is that it is compounded so the money growth is good. You invest for 5 years but i am sure the members here knows this very well so not to bore anyone with the details.