Your neighbours in Belize

Hello everyone,

When you move in Belize, relationships with your neighbours can play a vital role in your well-being and integration. Share your experiences of the interactions and routines that punctuate your daily life in Belize:

Tell us about your relationships with your neighbours in Belize. Do you have any anecdotes to share, moments of solidarity or community initiatives that have touched you?

Are there any specific customs or cultural norms to be respected between neighbours? For example, is it normal to introduce yourself to your neighbours and invite them over when you move in Belize?

Do you have any tips or advice for fostering good neighbourly relations in Belize? How do you deal with the differences and diversities that can exist within the community?

Are there any initiatives to organise activities between neighbours, whether official events or spontaneous gatherings?

Are your neighbours expats or locals? How does this influence your experience in Belize?

By sharing your experiences, you enrich everyone's understanding of life in Belize and help many people to plan their life abroad.

Thank you all for your contributions.

Cheryl
Expat.com Team

Can I ask...what percentage of the expats are American and are there any British expats?

My husband and I were expats years ago in Barbados and loved the local culture and our British neighbors. But Barbados is not cheap for retiring. So we're shopping around, so to speak.

@Cindyslaptop

we are from the Netherlands and have met mostly canadians and Americans who retire here. have met some lovely family's from the Uk though. I find Belize is not cheap...

I get the shopping around part, but what diierence does it make as to the breakdown of nationalities?  like dont you want to know how many expats are Canadian, or Tawainese, or Chinese or Mexican or Guatamalan?  we are ALL expats

@Signe@Belize thank you for the reply.

@Signe@Belize thank you for the quick response

@Tamihoffman5951 if I'm honest, we're not interested in moving to a "Little America". We want to assimilate as much as possible in a new country. We adored Bajans and Barbadians alike and also found the Brits charming. But real estate is too high in Barbados, now, and they don't produce a lot anymore except golf courses, so groceries are high and gas is insane.

We know a lot of Americans in our area who bought property in Costa Rica. Although it sounds lovely there, we don't want to move to a place only to find it's becoming more American, which seems like what some of our friends want.

Belize seems affordable for retirement since there doesn't seem to be a high real estate investment required for residency or citizenship (like Barbados and the Bahamas - another option), and we're intrigued by the idea of being able to country hop for a couple of days without getting in an airplane. You can't even really sail from Barbados to another country without a big boat, so people mostly fly.

@Cindyslaptop Hi, I am with you in that conversation. i have no interest to hang around Canadians and Americans who have a lot of issues trying to integrate into the "locals" vibes of Belize and don't find their "North American" standard of live in Belize. If they don't find it, stay where you are.

I agree  one million percent