Looking for building company or competent builders near Pernik/Sofia

Hello,

NOTE: If you have to say ''Ask in the village'' JUST DON'T...THANK YOU!

I have been trying to get a builder/building company/quote for a month. So far I didn't even get a quote. The only one I am currently in touch with that, at the least, replied, is two weeks that with an excuse or the other has not even come to check the place...and apparently showing a SketchFab project is too much brainpower is estimate a project.

If you know someone in Pernik Region or Sofia (I am 40 km from Sofia) or have a website with all construction companies I can contact I would be very grateful.

Cheers

Yuri

@Yuri1976

It is the same problem in the USA and EU.

Everyone went to college to be indocrinated by near learned professors who hide in Universities and live in thier own heads.  Now they have worthless pieces of paper (thier pride won't allow them to admit it) and are owned by the banks.

All Building or skilled craft trades - or anything that requires using your hands to do something useful in the real world based in reality - is in severe short supply. It will take 10 years to train the next generation. And to my shock and horror I've asked the few tradesmen I've met if they have a trainee, intern, apprentice and they all said NO because they don't have the time and the person would quit, start thier own business and compete against them.

These people have it  really good - way better than useless colelge degree holders - because they can actually start thier own businesses, charge what they want, and work when they want. They can accept or reject the jobs they want. I had a guy refuse to service me because I am American. That was his reason. Then he sent me an invoice for work he never did.

I have been trying to find a building inspector, brick builder, demolition technician, roof repairer, plumber, electrician,  well-driller, and other things for MONTHS.

The few that have shown up ghost me after I tell them I'm American - or charge me the highest most insane prices. For example the well driller wanted 9,000.00 EUROS to drill a well that would be 400-800 EUROS for a local. I said no. The electrician charged me 160 EUROS to unscrew a plug and change a light bulb.  The only deal I got was when my neighbor knew a guy to repair the AC. It was 50 EUROS and only because my nieghbor set it up. When the guy saw I was American you could see from expression on his face he wanted to charge more. I was qouted 400 EUROS from other AC Tech for same job - a cheap plug and play part that took 10 minutes.

The alarm company qouted me 2,000 EUR for 3 cameras, and 1000 EUR for door alarms and motion sensors and outside alarm siren. I had to pay it. I had no choice. Gypsies are putting trash in my front yard. Used condom, used tampons,  and used toilet paper. They will increase the amount of reviling digusting trash when you do not pick it up.

They  want to see if your home so they put trash in your yard. If you pick it up, they wait 2-4 weeks. If you DON'T pick it up, they put more trash and make the trash even more disgusting to confirm you are NOT inside the house. Then they break into the houses, claim them for thier own. or trash them, then strip them to the guts. You will come home and your house is destoryed. Good luck finding someone to fix it.

In the villages near my house, the good old people, are dying out. The young people are leaving the villages and not making babys to replace the population.  An old women dies alone, her Husband, friends and family are long dead. There is nobody she knows to inherit the house or the person is dead. The smell is reported. The police come to investigate. The Undertaker comes, ceritifies the death paperwork, and takes her away to the cemetary.  The police lock up the house and it goes on some dusty file.

The house sits locked up. The Gypsies notice it and start putting trash in the yard.  Gypsies are moving into these houses and occupying them because white people are not making babys. I am not being racist. I am only telling the truth. It's really as simple as that. It is accelerating the decline of the villages.

I am in Eastern Europe now. And I am learning how things really work from painful experience. By the way, the only "fair" prices I am getting are at the supermarket, inflation making the food prices comparible to Germany.  And it's been 4 months without finding someone to qoute on most of the things I need done to the house.

You do not find any of this out until the Realtor has thier commission, and the house seller is throwing a party because it took her years to sell the house. She could not sell it 5 or 10 in some cases 15 years ago when it was cheap. But she sold it on a rising market.  You paid in cash. You overpaid by 17 thousand EUR. She is an old women without 1 EUR to her name, she never maintained the house. And you must pay for very expensive repairs, and you will pay for her accumulated  electricity bills over those years, because she lies when she reports the meter and locks her gate.

You will not learn ANY of this from a Realtor. 

Good luck.

Wow, it sounds like you have had a very bad experience, what area are you in landroversalesEU? Do you stay there 24/7? Or are you travelling to and from Bulgaria?

Regarding the work needing doing, try doing some stuff yourself and look into how it's done, and take your time, practice somewhere where it doesn't really matter (in a barn),

The cost of labour is all down to supply and demand, if people know you will pay it they will charge it, so if they are “overcharging” then don't pay it, I'm sure they will eventually come back to you,

From reading your post it sounds very negative, and you might be angry, this may come across the same to the potential tradesman and I know if I don't like the feeling I get from someone I won't work with them.

Also remember Eastern Europe is a very slow and laid back lifestyle, they are not like us in the West, you may need to lower your expectations, or hire someone from Germany, UK, USA to come work for you and that will cost you a lot.

@CarlS1986

It's not only my experience but other Americans I've spoken to. All have said when they must negotiate a price they are always offered double or more. And I would bet the same applies to pre-Brexit British.

Yes I'm here 24-7 now. But I will probably sell and leave soon.

Oh! Try to do some stuff myself? I didn't think of that. Yes that's such a good idea. I can learn to an electrican, brick builder, pool installer, roof repairer myself. I can take courses online. Then I can drive to 9 different stores asking people who don't speak English where to get a bag of concrete mix, or part number sdf2sdf21 to install.

Because that's how it's done in a first world country.

Yes if people are overcharging just don't pay it. Call someone else who does the same thing. Then refuse. Wait months for another qoute. Then call someone else. I did this before pal. It took 9 months and finally I cried and begged to pay triple the price. This is the reality Realtors like you aren't telling people.

But it's ok because, I'm the only person this is happening to. It's because I'm negative. Yes yes. That's what it is. I'm negative and angry. That's why they take weeks to answer EMAILS then qoute double and triple the price. It' s because I'm the problem.

Funny how I never had this problem before I left America isn't it? When I was in America S got DONE FAST AND COMPETITIVE. Amazing you have the luxury to refuse to work with people because of a "feeling". In America there is competitiion and everything is about money. Good luck turning down business on a whim there. Your comment again verifies that Eastern Europe needs free market capitalism and compeitition. Weeks to respond to emails. Months to get a visit. Doing the easiest part of the job and quitting. This is why life is on pause here and everything moves at snail speed.

It is also why your country is poorer.

I'm not interested in living with snails. Being lazy, scamming for a living. I'm interested in working hard and making money.

You can call me Mr. Wolf from now on.

"I think fast, I talk fast, I act fast. So pretty please with sugar on top ...."

You know what I'm saying?

Maybe this sites will help you: https://151.bg/sofia/remonti/

https://npnconstruction.com/en/services/

https://stroitelni-remonti.com/stroitelni-uslugi-ceni/

[link moderated]

@Yuri1976

I don't think it's so easy here, especially if there's a communication (language) issue too.

As to plans and mockups, very few of my workers indulge in such fripperies. :-) They do a quick calculation based on sq m of activity x (concreting, painting, tiling, laminate laying, roof tiling, etc.) and their current rate, and give you an estimate.

I think "ask the village" is a bit generic, but it's essentially true. I don't typically go wandering around asking, but I keep my eyes and ears open to see what my neighbours have been getting up to, renovation wise. I take the view that if it's good enough for them, it's probably good enough for me. :-)

For example, I saw a gang of workers doing a big job on a big new garden wall, so I went and chatted to them, and one of them came round to see what I needed, and after they finished that job they came down the street to me. It was a gang of "gypsy" workers according to my neighbour, although they were actually Turkish-origin Bulgarians with a Bulgarian project leader / paymaster. They ended up doing many months of work for me and completely transforming my lower floor, and the cost was way below what I had been quoted elsewhere. But, sure, it was a bit rough n' ready, if you know what I mean. The leader is actually an architect, and a very civilized guy who clearly knows his way around Autocad... but, even so, not a single plan/sketch/document of works was produced. It was all simple stages with a price for each. If I accepted the price for a stage, I gave them some money for materials and we did 1-3 works work, and then I paid up for the work, and we discussed the next stage.

More recently, I decided to get external roller shutters, so I went to my nearest neighbour and asked where he got his from. He gave me a number for his friend in town, and a couple of days later he measured up and gave me a quote.

In Plovdiv, I've done a lot of work over the last year or so on new apartments (Bulgarian Standard, need a whole lot of finishing).

In the city, I've kinda made a few friends: a fellow teacher, a barista/owner at my regular cafe, and two of my suppliers (AC units, tiling/bathroom). All Bulgarian, but with some expat experience, and English speaking. I ask them who they recommend, and what they currently pay for job x (or charge). They've been very helpful, and introduced me to a great electrician (he did apartment work in the city for me, and rewired the house). The AC guy, in particular, really spent a lot of time with me and introduced me to his recommended workers (tiler/bathroom, painter, kitchen), and as most of them didn't speak English he came to the initial meetings and translated.

It's all done to a decent standard, but it's hard to get the quality of finish I'd expect in the UK or USA. I kinda go with the flow, as life's too short to get all aggravated because my tiled floors are not 100% level (which they can't be as the developer didn't put in concrete floors that were 100% level). :-) And the cost is a LOT (prices have risen enormously), but in line with typical Bulgarian prices (not gringo prices).

But, of course, this is a very slow way to go about doing things.

@landroversalesEU

Mr. Wolf wouldn't be hanging out in Bulgaria, know what I mean? :-)

I get that everything's done differently here, and it's not done the way you want/expect, but you maybe need to chill out a bit, and be more accepting. You also need to focus on the positives of living here, as they can go a long way to compensate for the negatives.

It's basically a wide open country with a teeny population, and loads of beautiful, unspoiled scenery. Most (but not all, of course) of the locals are friendly and welcoming. The cost of owning property and living here is a fraction of that in the UK or USA.

I've embraced my new life in Bulgaria, and committed myself to it. Yet when we first came here (to see the immigration attorney) we had ZERO intention of living here, and wanted only our Brexit-beating EU resident permits! :-) 6 years later, as a Permanent Residence, I'm astonished by how great a lifestyle we have here, and how reluctant I am to travel abroad anymore.

You're quite right that some places have an unfortunate "gypsy" problem, and I've been in a couple of villages which have been ruined by them. But this is a very small percentage of the Bulgarian population, and, mostly, they prefer to be in/near larger towns rather than out in the sticks.

You're also 100% correct that Bulgaria has a severe depopulation problem. In principle, it's no different to Italy or Spain who have the same issues, just less extreme. There is a lower birthrate (like everywhere), and the young 'uns leave to seek their fortunes abroad or in the big cities (not surprisingly). This leads (especially in the villages) to a very old population, reduction in services (schools, medical, buses, etc.), and dilapidated and abandoned houses. It's very sad.

I'm very fortunate that I don't (touch wood) have such problems. But when we bought I thought (as we are always advised on property TV): location, location, location! It's true that I paid far more for the privilege, but it's has been a good investment. We own a large country house in a pretty village in the Balkan Mountains, near all the attractions of Kazanlak/Shipka. This is a growing village with almost every property renovated, and many brand new mini-mansions... and hiking/biking trails starting from our back gate. We have a city apartment in a very desirable district of the country's 2nd city, and former European Capital of Culture (Plovdiv). And we have a holiday studio in the country's largest ski/mountain resort (Bansko).

And I try to be a "nice guy" in my interactions with the locals. It's hard to be truly "friends", but I've made an effort to get to know people, and I treat them kindly and respectfully, rather than throwing my weight around. I buy Christmas presents for all my neighbours which is a bit cheesy, I suppose, but they seem to appreciate it. I didn't originally have an ulterior motive, it just seemed like the right thing to do... but they have, in general, been very willing to help me in various projects, and introduce me to their favoured workers. It's a different country... and I don't speak the language... so if I get known as the local ahole, I don't think I'd make much progress with anything. :-)

Instead, they've introduced me to the relevant brickie, kitchen installer, tiler, painter, roof repairer, plumber, electrician, and well-driller. Not the best ones in the world, mind, but decent workers doing decent Bulgarian-standard work at (it seems to me) pretty much Bulgarian-standard prices. And I'd happily offer them other projects... and they'd all happily accept them.

Sometimes, it can be tempting to play the cranky foreigner, perpetually dissatisfied with everything in Bulgaria, when everything back home in X is so much bigger and better. But I'm not sure this is a particularly effective approach - either for your own peace of mind, or for getting folks to help you out. It's not rocket science... I'm just trying to Win Friends and Influence People. :-) Or, as my dear old mum used to say when I threw a strop: you'll catch a lot more flies with honey, than with vinegar, dear.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not an apologist for all things Bulgarian. And I certainly don't think or say that this is the best place in the world. On the contrary, I loved living in Paris, London and Singapore; I thoroughly enjoyed working in Boston and Chicago; and my all-time favourite was doing the dot-com thing in San Francisco, and living and hiking in beautiful Marin County - the perfect combination of sea, outdoors, cosmopolitan city, and tech. But I can't afford to live in those places, and I certainly can't afford to buy property in ANY of them. I could sell our 3 Bulgarian homes and still not have enough for even one rubbish house there.

Why will builders go 40km from Sofia. Ask people in Pernik. Bulgarians are more help usually.

@ gwynj

Thanks for the comment and helpful advice.

A huge positive would be if I had a women. That would make it bearable. Yes there are allot of positives. But other than the cost of the house, low utility bills, and low property taxes, I'm not seeing much yet.

The emotional stress and adjustment is very difficult. I'm used to working fast, negotiating, good fluid communication prior to a purchase or project so everyone knows what is on the table and what is expeted before proceeding. Here it is "We are not working like this" and "Do you want it or not". They have no business skills. Thier idea of business is to decide something from the start and never waiver from it. There is only one way to do things. Only one. No other ways. Only one. The price is fixed. We will never lower it. No matter what the sitaution. No creative or customized work is accepted. Because there is only one way. No other way.

This mentality is extremely difficult for me as an American and my friend here, his wife was American, and she could never get adjusted to it, after 2 1/2 years. She pleaded to leave in spite of the cost advantages. For her it was worth it to return to the USA, work 50 hour weeks, and pay 10x as much money for 10x less.

My issue is finding people to work on this damn house. At this point I'm willing to pay double and triple the cost because it is almost impossible to find someone and almost everyone will charge more because you are a foreigner.

I have a great neaighbor and I did get a connection with my neighbor for the AC guy. I tried to get someone for months, literally to fix it, which it was a easy plug and play part. The best and only price was 400 EUR but with my neighbor it was only 50 EUR. BUT when the guy saw I was American; he was visibly  dissapointed he was gettig local prices.

The auto mechanic was the same thing. There is only 1 thing wrong with the car. I could fix it myself easy but would need a lift. He has the lift. I told him what is wrong and that it is only 1 thing. So he is going over a perfect car from stem to sern claiming all kinds of things are wrong with it to charge more. Insisting things are wrong  where nothing is wrong with it. For example the pump part is literally brand new. He doesn't know it - but claims I need a new pump - because it's an easy install for 2,000 EUR. He can get the part at any junk yard for 20 EUR, plug it in, 10 minutes job, then charge 2,000 EUR.  And since I have a luxery car I should pay it.

It has been very difficult getting fair service or any service for that matter. The worst has been with attorneys. I hire a local to get a price and it is 40-60 EUR per hour. Then when I call out comes the American  accent  and suddenly the cost is now 150-250 EUR per hour. I say my friend called and it was 50 EUR, and they start yelling and hang up the phone.

I have had to tell people over, and over ... again and again .. "I did not come here to pay American prices". To that comment they consider it rude .. did in thier heels like stubborn donkeys, and refuse to be reasonable.

They are not interested in giving local prices to foreigners.

I am trying to make the best out of this, and the unexpected costs such as 3,000 EUR on security system for gipsis.  In my head I am comparing everything to America and it is, painful adjustment compared to America.

The main thing for me, is the house. I am not a bank mortgage or rent slave. I don't have a blood sucking  economic parasite Landlords hand in my wallet .. because they borrowed money to rent it out to a sucker who pays there mortgage. I could go on and on .. about the horror stories from America ... people losing thier homes after 20 years of mortgage payments .. rent going up 50% and they are kicked out on the street with all possessions put on curb for garbage.  And I do not want to go into how disgusting America has become socially and culturally.

There are many, many things I like about living over here. But it's a hard adjustment. And I have to remember why I came here and how much money I'm saving even with the high prices here. Before I was paying over $3,000 month cash myself and today that place rents for $7,000 month. In the USA you are similar to plantation slave - except it is a rent plantation. I got to live all over  the USA in luxeries places like on the beach in CA, the Las Vegas Strip, Florida etc. But as you get older you realize ... all that money, is gone, and there is nothing to show for it 

And it only gets worse and worse. They are gobbling up the real estate, and engineering supply and demand with Articifial Intellience algorytims  trying to enslave the entire population in rent or mortgage slavery. Britian has got to be the worst I have ever seen. Almost a million GBP outside of London for a small old brick house. You could not pay me to live there.

I have to remind myself of where everything is going .. and that I finally actually own my house free and clear with clean papers and am "lucky". Lucky for something that was a normal thing for previous generations ...I don't think the people here, know about the situation in the USA, or lucky they are when it comes to housing.

Hopefully I will, be able to get used to living over here..

Yes, Guest poster 366 you're not in America anymore just as I'm no longer in the UK. I've been " ripped off" by so called English master builders and by a Bulgarian and his son who viewed me as a potential cash cow both of whom over charged and under preformed but I'm not going to use them again and from what I can gather the Bulgarian cowboys who live in my village can go whistle before I every use them again.  I had some electrical work done which was both very cheap ( for someone who'd been ripped off) and was excellent job.  I've just had my windows and doors replaced expensive but again a very good job and I'm thinking of having air con installed upstairs to help keep the house warmer upstairs this winter

Yes I'm an old biddie living here on my own, a non driver relient on the village bus which is infrequent but even I have managed to Google small jobs and do them , ask around to find potential builders and assemble a whole room of furniture bought last Friday.  If I can do it so can you.

Well done, Kath, you clearly have the pioneer spirit. Like you, I've encountered both useless rip off builders/tradesmen and very competent, fairly priced ones. It's very much a case of hit and miss in the first instance.

@GuestPoster366

Wow...why are you still here?

I don't have any of this problems really so far. as for overpricing...food prices are what they are and they are comparable to Western Europe now.

I have used a mechanic in Sofia (expensive city), he fixed a couple of thinks and replace a piece of the cooling system for 90 euro (including the replacement)...that's is more of less the same I would get in Western Europe.

For the house, I haven't paid a lot compared to the market prices and the shit I have seen around. Certainly, is not like 10 years ago, not even like 3 years ago, but is in line with the market. For the rest, I don't find Bulgarians more or less dishonest than others you will find elsewhere. Realtor jobs is to sell you houses...it is your job to make sure you are not screwed.

I knew the house needed renovation, this is why I paid what I paid. I could be liveable with much less than what I want to do...but since I am renovating better do it once and for all.

Good luck, you seem very miserable.

@gwynj

Hi, thanks for the long reply. I know how they price here and have a rough idea of what the quote should be - also because I have already done all the bills of materials and priced it on Praktiker...which is supposedly expensive compared to other builders suppliers.

For everyone complaining of the rip off...try to not to get screwed in the UK!

If the price is high, just don't do it or do it yourself.

Recently a guy came to check a work, clearing my land from bushes and trees...the guy asked 1200Lev (600Euro). The piece of the plot to clear is over 1000sqm and is on a slope...yet, this was mental to me (since he as a machine according to the neighbor and it is probably half day of work for him), and I just said thanks but no thanks. Next, I bought a trimmer (300Lev) and in a couple of days I got almost everything cleared...never done it before but that's why you have Youtube nowadays!

As for price of renovations...consider that the current price to build a house from the ground up is usually between 500 and 600 Euro per sqm finished, if you do just rough construction less than that (I think 250/300). So, Is someone is asking you same or more than that, there is a very good chance he is trying to screw you.

For everything else, ask in your homecountry and be prepared to pay that price. It you are from somewhere in Western Europe, ask the price there. If they ask you same or more, it is very likely the guy is a crook.

The sketches I have done them myself, both the AsIs with all the measurements and the ToBe.

Is not that I am not doing anything. Upstairs I have almost finished a room, which now only requires a windows and painting, and I have started with the second one. Unfortunately, there are things I can't do by myself (removing a bearing wall and put a steel beam) and things that will take sometime (create a room for the bathroom).

But I work, so I can just spend few hours during the week and now it is starting to get cold...so, If I don't get someone within the next two weeks, I will probably go someone else and come back in Spring.

@Tatiana Tatiana

Hello Tatiana,

Thank you for the links, very helpful