Smaller towns villages to visit with a view to buy

My husband is visting next week to take a look at areas along the coast.

Any thoughts/ ideas of smaller towns villages to visit with a view to buy. We want land and not too much of a renovation project!

@michelesussexyoga

Welcome to the expat.com forum and good luck with your property search!

The Black Sea coast is very pretty and there some very nice towns and villages that you could pick. But it depends on how close to the coast/beach and how close to civilization (large town/cities) you want to be (and how big your budget is). Distance from the coast affects the price a lot, if you're happy being 50 km (or more) inland.

The main cities are Varna and Burgas, so I'd personally prefer to be close to one of them. Near Varna there are small towns like Byala, Balchik and Kavarna while near Burgas you have Sveti Vlas, Nessebar, Pomorie, Sozopol, Primorsko, and Lozenets. You can find village properties in/near them.

Sunny Beach (between Sveti Vlas and Nessebar) is the largest summer resort in Bulgaria, so it's packed in summer. Sunny Beach itself is mostly apartments, but, for example, Kosharitsa is 3km inland and is a popular spot for villas and houses. Still a bit too seasonal for my taste, but it might appeal.

If nature is important to you (apart from the coastline itself), there are wetlands up north (Durankulak), around the Burgas Lakes (and Pomorie Lake), and further south (Ropotamo). I like Sveti Vlas because this is the easternmost point of the Stara Planina, so you have some very nice hill walks here. Down south we also have the Strandzha Nature Park.

Trying to narrow it down to specific locations is quite difficult. I'd suggest it's perhaps easier to search for properties in the coastal region, and see what (if anything) appeals for your budget. For research, I like BulgarianProperties (even though there are lots of other agents) because they have plenty of listings (in English) all over Bulgaria, and they're usually quite informative (detailed descriptions, plenty of photos, sometimes 3D interiors).

Here are their current houses/villas in the Burgas region:

https://www.bulgarianproperties.com/Search/index.php?sadx=1&stip_text1686080404=&stop_text1686080404=&stown_text1686080404=Burgas&sdevv_text1686080404=&minarea=&maxprice=&skeyword=&spredlog=innear&c=Search&stip%5B%5D=43&stip%5B%5D=19&stip%5B%5D=52&stip%5B%5D=51&stown=282&srtby=2

For comparison, here are the Dobrich (35km inland from Balchik) listings:

https://www.bulgarianproperties.com/Search/index.php?stown_text1686470135=Dobrich&squarter_text1686470135=&stip_text1686470135=&minarea=&maxprice=&skeyword=&sadx=1&sady=&spredlog=innear&scntr=1&c=Search&stip%5B%5D=19&stip%5B%5D=43&stip%5B%5D=52&stip%5B%5D=51&stown=544&srtby=2

I don't know about the areas south of Varna, but to the north of Varna, there are a lot of nice reasonably priced villages between Dobrich and Balchik or Kavarna, a little inland but close to the coast. My place is quite a bit further inland, a little over an hour's drive to the coast. Being near the sea wasn't a priority for us. My Bulgarian neighbour says Balchik is the best coastal area north of Varna.

Gwyn's links will give you a good idea of prices. There are fewer fully renovated places available with a decent sized plot of land, but they do exist.

If you want to be able to travel from the UK to the house in winter as well as summer, Varna has flights all year from London Luton with Wizz. I think Burgas flights stop in September once the summer season is over.

Good morning

l live in a quiet village 20 mins from Varna airport

l have lovely neighbours and the mayor keeps everything safe

only priority would be your own transport as there is only 1 bus a week into Varna   crazy l know but it all depends on your lifestyle l suppose

Apart from the lack of buses, that sounds lovely, Truetomyself! Which village are you in?