Thinking of moving to Thailand have few questions

Hi guys, just today realized I might like to move out of USA for many reasons. I am divorced 63 and like nice style of living. How much are cleaning people? I would like to buy a house rather than rent, and I looked at some prices (don't know the area of course) for around USD 300K one can get pretty nice Villa and lease the land. Are there also property tax? How about a car? I assuming one needs a car to get around or it's cheaper to get taxi? I've never been to Thailand. I also have 2 pet parrots and I am reading it's not a big problem to bring them along ones all the paperwork is taken care of. What about like handymen and stuff if something breaks or needs done in the house? Are there insurances for that?

So again, I know it's been asked before. Considering not having rent but having ample transportation, cleaning people weekly, medical insurance, utility bills, self care, gym and some entertainment(i don't drink, don't do drugs etc, very healthy lifestyle)

How much a month would I need to be comfortable? Thanks in advance!

Hi guys, just today realized I might like to move out of USA for many reasons. I am divorced 63 and like nice style of living. How much are cleaning people? I would like to buy a house rather than rent, and I looked at some prices (don't know the area of course) for around USD 300K one can get pretty nice Villa and lease the land. Are there also property tax? How about a car? I assuming one needs a car to get around or it's cheaper to get taxi? I've never been to Thailand. I also have 2 pet parrots and I am reading it's not a big problem to bring them along ones all the paperwork is taken care of. What about like handymen and stuff if something breaks or needs done in the house? Are there insurances for that? So again, I know it's been asked before. Considering not having rent but having ample transportation, cleaning people weekly, medical insurance, utility bills, self care, gym and some entertainment(i don't drink, don't do drugs etc, very healthy lifestyle) How much a month would I need to be comfortable? Thanks in advance!         -@goldmane60

There are many many posts about this topic and your questions have been answered over and over again. I suggest checking out earlier posts about moving to Thailand. I will just comment one thing, buying a house and leasing land. As a foreigner you can't buy land and buy or build a house on it. Even leasing a piece of land and buying a house as an individual foreigner isn't actually doable. You will probably get some suggestions about leasing land or buying land in a company name,but that's not something I recommend. You're thinking about moving to a country you've never visited even as a tourist. Wouldn't it be smart to come here and check it out before you actually move here?

This topic should be moved to the Thailand Forum.   I don't understand why people create topics about moving to Thailand in the Koh Samui Forum.

In addition to older forum posts, this website has this page:

Living in Thailand guide for expats

All the information you need to relocate and live in Thailand

https://www.expat.com/en/guide/asia/thailand/

Not sure how up-to-date the info may be though.

There are also numerous "retire in Thailand" videos that people have posted on the usual video platforms.

@Leeds forever! I think this is pretty rude response and unsolicited advice so will be leaving this forum.

@goldmane60 goldman, hes nit gonna tell you what you want to hear.  i suggest you come visit fir 90 days before making any rash decisions.  I visited Thailand multiple times on multiple occasions.  i enjoy nice lifestyle in America as well. I met my wife in Chicago 15 years ago she said go check it out so i did many times and decided to move here.  living here is quite different than visiting here.  cannot possibly anticipate all thats happened to me.  ”family” in Thailand is not like family in America.  they will mooch off you, EXPECT you to pay for their things. one day i think they might poison me and get away with it.    simple things are not very simple.  i am very independent person made every decision in America but now i have to rely on my wife 100% on her schedule.  none of the bills are in my name etc…its very concerning to say the least.  I feel like a toddler here.  you cannot wear your brand name stuff because it draws wrong attention.  its not same as reading on the internet i thought i read it all.  Leeds gives very solid advice on everything. 

@goldmane60 America is the best country in the world if you just stop reading the news. cone see for yourself.    Thailand is very old very rigid lazy and not forward thinking.  i have to constantly be on the lookout for little scams and cons.  i dont know whete they got land of smiles thing.  alotta farts here, faults too

Hi guys, just today realized I might like to move out of USA for many reasons. I am divorced 63 and like nice style of living. How much are cleaning people? would like to buy a house rather than rent, and I looked at some prices (don't know the area of course) for around USD 300K one can get pretty nice Villa and lease the land. Are there also property tax? How about a car? I assuming one needs a car to get around or it's cheaper to get taxi? I've never been to Thailand. I also have 2 pet parrots and I am reading it's not a big problem to bring them along ones all the paperwork is taken care of. What about like handymen and stuff if something breaks or needs done in the house? Are there insurances for that?
So again, I know it's been asked before. Considering not having rent but having ample transportation, cleaning people weekly, medical insurance, utility bills, self care, gym and some entertainment(i don't drink, don't do drugs etc, very healthy lifestyle)
How much a month would I need to be comfortable? Thanks in advance!

Here are some answers based on practical experience from this year, rather than lecturing you and sending you to RTFM.  All (anecdotal) data and opinions are based on moving to a luxury area in Pattaya.

• Cleaning lady:  ฿1,200 if weekly visit, ฿800 if bi-weekly each.  ฿500 once a week while I'm away from Thailand, when she goes to check on the Internet router, clean up after the masons + plumber replaced a malfunctioning toilet, keep an eye on the condo, and water the plants.  I have a mid-size condo, about 280 m² or 3,000 ft².
  • Buying property in Thailand:  research the difference between buying a condo and buying landed property.  The condo is titled to you, landed property requires Thai ownership and you end up having to partner with an LLC and applying legal engineering.  Condos have other advantages, beyond the scope of your question.  Find a reputable realtor,.  I know a very good one (Belgian expat) whom I found through my realtor in the US.
  • Property taxes are low, regardless of landed or condo, and you may even pay them at 7-Eleven.  This last I haven't confirmed because the property tax bill hasn't arrived.  I know for sure taxes are low.
  • Car:  buy one only if you plan to get around places other than your local town.  I had no issues ordering Bolt vehicles and getting around that way, or hiring a driver for the day or by the hour if we need to do something that requires predictable transportation.  I go skydiving once a week and don't want to arse myself with trying to get a vehicle to drive me back home, so I hire a driver by the hour + tolls + meal if I stay for more than 4 hours.  It's cheaper than car + insurance so far.  When I get back to training and need to go skydiving 3+ times/week I will consider getting a car.  Run the numbers.
  • Taxis:  super-cheap.  See previous point.  You also have a wide array of other transportation:  tuktuks, collective bus-like pickup trucks (I don't know what they're called), scooter taxis, vans, etc.  Very cheap compared to many parts of the world.  Bangkok prices > Pattaya or other locations.
  • Pets/animals:  no idea.  We don't have any.  I can tell you where and how to find fantastic middle- and high schools!
  • Handy men:  super easy.  Ask your neighbors, check various forums, get recommendations.  I now have a kick ass plumber (installed my garbage disposal and dishwasher), kick ass handy man (carpentry, electric, you name it), cleaning lady, and so on.  I found them through my realtor, who also lives in my building.  All of the above were identified and/or hired within 4 days of moving in.  Handy man is cleaning lady's husband.  I gave them a code to get in, they've been caring for the place, supervising the toilet replacement/wall repair, modified my counters because of the dishwasher, etc.  Everything looks like new.  I get a weekly report (in Thai) from cleaning lady, including photos or video if anything needs my attention.
  • Pest control:  guy shows up once/month to spray because no matter how clean and careful you are, roaches from neighboring places sneak in through open drains.  Cleaning lady lets him in on the day she shows up.  We let him in if we're around.
  • Insurance:  contact a broker, you'll find the usual insurance for the usual things.  Plenty of them speak English.  There's some Engrish too, but not too bad.  Appliances with issues == exchange in most places if you kept all the boxes and they look like new.  I exchanged a Tefal vacuum robot at Home Pro for a Mr Robot device because reasons.  The clerks at Home Pro tested that everything was fine, I proved them that Tefal won't allow downloads to a US- or Europe-based iPhone for that robot model in Thailand, walked out with a full credit.  I had the robot laying around the house for about 10 days before the exchange.  Most of the nicer stores like Big C, Home Pro, Office Mate, etc. have reasonable exchange and return policies.  All new appliances (washer, refrigerator, dishwasher, etc.) came with a 1-year warranty and in most cases they'll send someone to check the appliance for you on a warranty call.
  • Gym:  there are visit blocks (10 visits for some ฿ value), weekly, monthly.  Ask around, see what works.
  • Language:  you didn't ask, but here's the skinny.  Google Translate app on your phone.  You'll be glad you installed it.  Point the camera at things and see what's written.  Talk to it in English, it'll convey your thoughts in Thai to a listener.  Type something, show the translation to the other person.  PFM.
  • Condo:  you didn't ask, here's my opinionated response.  Common grounds are beautiful and well-kept, we have an on-site killer lap pool, full gym, 7*24 security at the main gate and the beach-side gate, janitorial staff, and an on-site admin office that acts as a help desk.  The time and cost of doing those things myself or finding them > the bundled cost of monthly maintenance for the condo, and it includes all of the above.  They also receive packages, keep an eye on things, screen visitors.

All items on that list are experiences fresh as of August 2023. Your mileage will vary.  Also, I do agree that you should do additional research, and narrow the scope of your questions.  I also think you should spend some time scouting cities and locations.  I was sure I wanted to move to Pattaya after previous visits.  My family and I visited in April for a couple of weeks.  We found so many things to do for all, on the 3rd or 4th day they asked me to start looking at a place to buy.  They don't care for Bangkok.  Phuket was meh, not enough stuff going on if you aren't there to lounge on the beach.  We were unanimous in thinking Jomtien sucks.  But people like different things, tour around a bit before you decide.

Cheers!

@pr3d4t0rgood post, love the honesty which is hard to find. i dont fall for the smiles anymore.