NIE on a green sheet of paper. Is it possible to get a green card?

Hi all,

I came to Catalunya years ago and was given my NIE on a green sheet (A4) of paper. It's uncomfortable to take with me whenever I need to do administration. I've seen that nowadays they issue the NIE on a green card (credit card size). Does anyone know if it's possible to transfer the card and how to go about it?

Thanks for your help.

Brendan

@brendantcoffey

I suspect that, confusingly, while your paper includes your NIE, the paper is actually NOT a NIE. :-) The green paper is probably an EU Citizen Registration Certificate (as you have an EU passport).

You're right, these days it seems that it's a smaller card-sized paper, rather than an A4 sheet. But I don't think it's worth registering again just to get a smaller version (but you probably could, if you wanted). :-)

This document (as a registration certificate) is quite important and it shows that you're a resident of Spain. So I would personally keep the original document safe at home. And just make a few copies that I can fold up and keep for bureaucrats to look at.

If it's many years ago (5 or more), then you should be able to get permanent residence, and you'll get a different document.