What to do with household goods?

I am considering expatriating to Thailand, and I am curious what others have done with their household goods prior to making the move. Did you hire an international shipping company and send everything to Thailand?

I am not particularly attached to anything I own and prefer to just start over in Thailand. If anyone has done this, what are some of the easiest options to rid oneself of their possessions? Preferably profiting rather than paying for disposal.

After living in Thailand for 16 years, even I have run an international import and export company, I will give you the correct answer you need in the Thai evening.

My personal preference is to get rid, hopefully for money, then buy new on arrival.

I saw it as an opportunity to go minimalist and save a lot of moving headaches.

When buying new, just ask yourself what you actually need and use.

My bed is just a mattress- Why do I need the frame?

TV - Are you going to watch it?

and so on ....

I am considering expatriating to Thailand, and I am curious what others have done with their household goods prior to making the move. Did you hire an international shipping company and send everything to Thailand?
I am not particularly attached to anything I own and prefer to just start over in Thailand. If anyone has done this, what are some of the easiest options to rid oneself of their possessions? Preferably profiting rather than paying for disposal.

-@SCOMPL

What do you exactly mean by "household goods"? It's not free to ship a lot of stuff to Thailand. Can't you sell it and just buy the things you need when you're here?

Dear Scompl, You have just answered yourself. (I am not particularly attached to anything I own and prefer to just start over in Thailand.)

In your current situation, it's essential to prioritize what truly matters when you're in the process of moving. While others may be focused on import and export activities related to their home goods, it's important to recognize that your own priorities should take precedence.

Moving can be a complex and demanding endeavor, with numerous important tasks and considerations. From finding a new place to call home to organizing your belongings and ensuring a smooth transition, there's no shortage of vital matters that deserve your attention.

So, don't let the actions or concerns of others regarding import and export activities deter you from your primary objectives during this significant life transition. Stay focused on what's essential to you and your family, making sure that your move is as stress-free and successful as possible. After all, your peace of mind and the well-being of your loved ones should be your top priorities during this time.

I move here from the US 10years ago. It will cost much more to move your household. And during you re looking for the place to live and try to settle, the storage could cost a fortune.  You can buy everything in Thailand  at good and reasonable price.  I d helped many of my friends move and live here happily.  And happy to answer any questions you may have.

Sell your stuff before you leave and buy new in Thailand, much more choice out there now, save yourself a lot of hassle and expense exporting.

Thank you everyone for your replies! Perhaps I could have been clearer in my original post, but I am curious as to your personal experiences. If you shipped your belongings, how much did it cost? What was the wait time? If you sold everything, did you use an estate sale agency? Donate to charity? etc

Thank you everyone for your replies! Perhaps I could have been clearer in my original post, but I am curious as to your personal experiences. If you shipped your belongings, how much did it cost? What was the wait time? If you sold everything, did you use an estate sale agency? Donate to charity? etc

-@SCOMPL

There are several existing posts about this topic explaining almost everything. Just go through old topics.

@SCOMPL

Dear Sir, Personal experience shipping belongings:

I have not personally shipped my belongings, but I have helped many friends and family members do so. The cost of shipping belongings varies depending on the distance, weight, and size of the shipment, as well as the shipping method chosen. For example, shipping a container full of belongings overseas will be much more expensive than shipping a few boxes domestically. The wait time for shipping also varies, but it is typically a few weeks to a few months.

Estate sale agencies:

Estate sale agencies can be a good option for selling a large number of items quickly and easily. However, they typically charge a commission of 20-40% of the sale price.

Donating to charity:

Donating to charity is a great way to declutter your life and help others at the same time. Many charities offer free pickup services, which can make it a very convenient option.

My personal advice:

If you are considering shipping your belongings, I recommend that you get quotes from multiple shipping companies before making a decision. It is also important to carefully package your belongings to protect them from damage during shipping.

If you are considering selling your belongings, I recommend that you research the different options available to you. If you have a large number of items to sell, an estate sale agency may be a good option. However, if you only have a few items to sell, you may be able to get a better price by selling them yourself online or at a garage sale.

If you are considering donating your belongings to charity, I recommend that you research different charities to find one that supports a cause that you are passionate about. You should also make sure that the charity is reputable and that your belongings will be used to help others.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Good luck

@SCOMPL

I moved to Thailand almost 3 years ago. I shipped all of my woodworking and machine shop tools. That included a 4200 lb CNC mill and a 2500 lb lathe. The only household goods were my guitar and amplifier, receiver, speakers and a new recliner. I gave everything else away. Couches, dining set, tables, patio set etc. The hassle of selling it or the extra shipping cost was not worth it. I ended up going with an international shipper. They worked with a company in Thailand to get everything from my house in the SF Bay Area up to my house where we now live in a rural area of northern Thailand. They used a 40 ft container for my move. The total cost for me including customs was about $11000. The total time was about 2 to 3 months from the time that they picked it up to when it was delivered to me in Thailand. I believe that the cost of shipping containers has gone up a LOT since then.

If you choose to ship be willing to do a lot of searching for a shipping company. Be careful who you choose. I got some ridiculously high quotes before settling on the one that I used. Some of the high ones told me horror stories just to get me to go with them. I used a company called "International Sea & Air Shipping".

Let me know if you want more information.

To cut is short

Get rid of everything

When I decided to move to Thailand  in 2013

I gave all my furniture even new clothes to my daughters to get rid of and arrived here with a 20 kg suitcase with clothing in

Bought a four bedroom house and then furnished it with basics.

Most rooms are just dust collectors

Bought a TV microwave etc and some crockery and cutlery  six of each  I have bought additional items but i keep it to the minimum as when i depart from this rock  my wife will just get rid of my clothing and few tools I bought.