Is there anything I need to pay attention if I want buy?

Hello,

I am a newbie living in Brazil. Because I adopted two cars and one big dog. That reminded me that I may need to live in here for many years. In case to save my parents savings. I started to think about buying a little apartment here.

I don't have any salary here. So I need my parents to borrow some for me.

I don't know if you have any good suggestions or tips for me.

Thank you so much.

09/14/23 @três Wang.  Welcome!  What is the legal basis for your residence in Brazil?  Are you here on a student visa, or on a visa of some other type?  Knowing the basis of your residence will let us give you better suggestions.

I don't know if you have any good suggestions or tips for me.
Thank you so much.

-@três Wang

Where are you located in Brazil? I own two apartments and two cars, located about 7 hours apart from each other in the state of SP

@abthree

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

I have gotten a 10-year permit, named RNM. Could I buy an apartment here? I haven't thought about it. 1f923.svg

09/14/23    @abthreeHi,Thank you for your response.I have gotten a 10-year permit, named RNM. Could I buy an apartment here? I haven't thought about it. 1f923.svg-@três Wang

Yes, you can with that document.  In addition to your CRNM, do you have your CPF, your Brazilian taxpayer ID number yet?  You will need that, it's easy to get.  As rraypo asked, where are you planning on living?

@rraypo

Hi,

Do you want to sell yours? Which neighborhood are they located in? I don't have a car. I think I couldn't afford a car if I bought an Apt.

@abthree

Okay, I already got my CPF, but I don't have a tax record right now. I will ask my friend to do it soon. And I don't have much more salary to pay the tax. Will it be a problem? 

Will the government investigate me? Because I need to accept my parents' help.

@três Wang

LOLOLOL, or as they say in Brazil, KKKKKKK, or RSRSRSRS.

My ultimate goal is to own a few apartments, about 7 hours or so apart, and keep them rented. When one is empty, I will go and live there, in it, until I feel like moving or a different one is going to go vacant. Mine are nothing fancy, but clean and in safe areas.

My latest is in a nice, simple, and very safe condo development in Sao Jose do Rio Preto, otherwise known as Hell Preto as it does get hot here. My first one is in downtown downtown SP, a few blocks off of the middle of Ave Paulista, about halfway to the shopping mall on Rua Frei Caneca, next to Rua Augusta.

I am sort of looking for another one now, about 2 hours north of the city of Rio. I really love it there, but I can't stand the city of Rio and I have to drive through it to get there.

A CPF is your personal identification number, so that you can function as a legal entity, whether you are an individual or started a business.  Just a number so Government can track your income, asset alocation, for taxation purposes.. Way far removed from China's Social Credit Policies.

So, as they say in America, don't sweat brow. 

Buying your home or apartment...

First off, full disclosure on my end is overdue....

I am a licensed Real Estate Broker, so my piece advice comes from my understanding on how the real estate market works here.  Also , I practiced Real Estate in Massachusetts for three years.  In Sao Paulo for the past ten years, all of them as a broker. 

About that apartment...

It depends entirely on availability of funds, how often you will find yourself moving around , or length of stay.

Since you mentioned being on an Student Visa, then it might be up to your parents to make buy x rent decision on your behalf. 

As a rule of thumb, and this goes against my self interest as a broker,  I would not advise anyone, regardless of how much affluent that one is, to buy outright.

The rule on rentals, your alternative to buy, all  leases are issued for 30 months, however, you have a 12 month minimum to honor, the remainder are, by law, penalty free.

But once again, it looks to me your buy x lease decision is up to your backers/parents/bankroll.  So it be.

That time frame is important to use to your advantage, as you do not know the "lay of the land",  or how the territory shapes up, and a little extra lenght of time might be what you need to become a little more seasoned. With that comes wiser decisions, and money saved.  And you will stay clear from quick buck artists out there.

Real Estate valuations go up, but not as widly as Hong Kong of late, and Tier One Cities in China.  Which allows you to pick your spots wisely.

And then, there are the variations on cost per square meters from different  neighborhoods, which are to play to your advantage, in unearthing true value.   

When you mention "little apartment" I read, not tiny apartment, but, affordable apartment.

Some decent neighborhoods, not as posh or "en vogue"  and yet with lots of upside ( valuations, changes in curbside appeal , situations where the seller is desperate to unload ),

It means you can actually enlarge your personal living envelope, or get a bigger place for the money it would cost you a tiny apartment. Right here in Sao Paulo, by the way. 

And then there is the possibility, you find yourself wanting a town home, not an apartment. A row house, free of the condominium association straight jacket.  A place you can better cherish your privacy, and mind you, improve upon your Portuguese speaking skills,  way faster.

Now,, most of the Chinese who migrated to Sao Paulo choose apartments, for familiarity's sake. And Surprisingly enough, the are all encroached in the very same places.  Which, for assimilation sake, it's not such a great idea, at least not where other Chinese are. 

Being around Chinese is fine for you to get settled, land a job, network, get your own food. But to assimilate a foreign culture, not such a great idea. I am speaking of my own experience, having lived in the USA for 28 years.

You have the option to private message me, if you have any specific questions,, and under no obligation whatsoever. 

Regards,

Also, by the way,  two cars, tax wise, it will be cheaper on payng property wise. Each car parking spot on those apartment buildings tgend to cost extra on monthly condominium charges and yearly due property taxes. 

Apartments are practical, but they have far more hidden costs in Brazil than actually owning a single family home, even if that is a rowhouse with your car ports. 

In practicality, you can actually get a home to accomodate two cars , your pets ( another factor  against apartment dwelling units, on the account of inconsistent condominium association rules and by-laws  on matters related to having pets on premises ).

Now, sometimes, you have no  other choice  than to get an apartment ( buy or rental ), specially on proximity to your job, school classrooms, etc. Along with those lines, the densest parts of this very large city make getting a home, a very expensive proposition.   

Drop me a line, if you want to continue this conversation.

Thanks

09/14/23  Okay, I already got my CPF, but I don't have a tax record right now. I will ask my friend to do it soon. And I don't have much more salary to pay the tax. Will it be a problem? 
Will the government investigate me? Because I need to accept my parents' help.

-@três Wang

No, you don't have to worry about taxes for now, and no one is going to investigate you.  It's just important to have the number to conduct any kind of business in Brazil. 

You may want to rent for a while until you get to know the city better.  See the advice from @sprealestatebroker above, and consider it.  Since you have local friends, talk it over with them, too. 

@três Wang I think you meant to say you adopted two cats and a dog?

@rraypo hell preto...come north 1.5 hrs to Fernandopolis n we can have beers!! Supposed to go to 43 next monday. Was 31 at 10am today.

@Cserebogar

Great invitation! I have actually been in your city, well, at least I've driven through it, a number of times. Not only do I like to drive, anywhere, but I also have friends up in Sao Simao, about three hours north of you, and yours is one of my routes.

We need to make up a directory of people and cities