LETTER FOR OBTAINING DR DRIVERS LICENSE

A quick question - I stopped by the Cdn Embassy in SD yesterday & they were kind enough to prepare/provide the letter signed by Consular Principal to take to INTRANT. DO such letters signed in PP have the same ladies signature (Maria Cartagena) & do all have to go to SD or is there in INTRANT office in PP that they use. Just wondering if I can avoid the SD traffic & go to PP to get my DR license.....thanks (we were in rush to avoid afternoon traffic out of SD yesterday that Iforgot to ask the Embassy chap)

Seems there's some folks viewing but I guess nobody that can answer.....I'll let it ride for a week or so....

call?

Address: C. Villanueva 8, Puerto Plata 57000

Hours:

Closed ⋅ Opens 9 AM Wed

Phone: (809) 586-5761

Sorry I have no idea

@T.DRRR    I will call -I hope they speak english but not essential I guess. Thanks..

@planner Ms D - you don't know!!! THere goes some of that pedestal.....1f923.svg1f923.svg1f923.svg1f923.svg

@2VP, we went through the same process, but I can't answer your question.  I think things have changed for this process when the Temp Residency requirements for Canadians changed?  I'm not sure at all.  But, when we did it, we had to take that letter to the Foreign Affairs department in SD to be "legalised" let's call it. I don't have any idea what they actually did, other than stamp it and collect their fee.  And then to INRANT in SD. I wouldn't trust that POP would know what they're looking at with that document.  My advice is to stay with SD, or maybe try POP if you're already going to be there for something else anyways?  Good luck, sir.

@UncleBuck - Thanks Buck - I have sent an email to the POP Consulate & asked the question. If they don't know then safe to say I'll go to SD, like it or not!!! WOuld rather go to POP & spend a night or two in Sosua vice SD but whatever it takes....

@UncleBuck Back again with after-thought questions. When you took the letter in did they issue you a DR license right there? Do I need to take photos with me? and prior to issuing , did you have to do a written test? Thanks, remembering that change is relevant term here1f602.svg

@2VPsoldier  No written test, but we still had to do the vision and hearing test, as well as get our blood type taken.  Then picture taken and finally license issued.  Fairly quick process for a Government agency.

@UncleBuck OK, good to know. However, just knowing a little about things here, all of that likely wasn't done right there was it. Did you have to go to their authorized clinic for the blood test......ie: running all over hells half acre so to speak....when I go I will taking a taxi  so I need to be prepared!!! Thanks again..appreciate the info.

@2VPsoldier  All done at Intrant in Santo Domingo.  One stop shopping!

Surprisingly AWESOME - thanks. This is good to know info and now that I do it will not be forgotten....

Canadians have it easy!

This thread relates to Canadian actions for the Drivers license. What do Americans do differently?

@ckhii  Take the written and road test, get a provisional license, and then you get a full license after several months.  I forget how many.  But the renewal is the same for everybody.  Pay for renewal at Ban Reservas ahead of time ($1,900 RD) and keep the receipt.  At Intrant, questionaire on health, eye test, hearing test, picture, out the door.

UNCLEBUCK: OK - now raises what should be the final question for me. DO I (Canadains) have to pay some amount at Banco Reservas prior to going to INTRANT?

@2VPsoldier  From what Ban Reservas website says, yes, $1,900.  "Cambio extranjero a dominicana" is what it's called.  I couldn't find a way to attach the translated PDF, but here is the link to their licensing services and costs, in Spanish.

https://www.banreservas.com/SiteAssets/ … r_2022.pdf

No problem. My reading/writing are far better than my speaking of Spanish....thanks once again.