Why purchasing apartment units can be perilous in Brazil

It just came upon my knowledge a tactic employed by some Florida  Real Estate investors, a tactice  seldom used in Sao Paulo ( to the best of my knowledge, by the way ), Brazil, nonetheless having taken place in Sao Paulo .  The rare occasions it took place here, in Sao Paulo Brazil , it was related to the hoarding of condominium office suites by a single investor holding a majority stake in an office building. Under adverse market conditions, I would daresay.   

This serves as an alert to home buyers as well as to real estate investors in Large MSAs such as Sao Paulo, Rio, Florianopolis, Fortaleza.  And to a very lesser extend in places such as Belo Horizonte,, Curitiba, Porto Alegre, Campinas, Recife, Ribeirao Preto,

The news team unearthed , on its 6 o'clock news, about some Miami investors are reported to be pushing resident dwellers from a Biscayne Bay Condo Association whose building features stunning bay  water front views.  It was reported on a local news South Florida Cable Channel.

The evictions of remaining condo owner-residents are being enacted with the sanctioning of the "Building Condo Association Deputy" ( who so happen to be an attorney, and who declined to be on camera for interviews) , an equivalent to the Sindico role in Brazil. 

The news camera crew could not have to the building, where a scant few resident dwellers still reside. They provided the news outlet with  some smart phone raw footage of their soon to be vacated units. Most of the remaining dwellers are elderly folk, living on meager retirement disbursements.

The way these tactics take shape is enabled through investors buying units from motivated sellers who can't afford HOA/Condo Association ever increasing  monthly dues and Miami's soaring  annual property tax bills. This is not about a crumbling building on South Florida beachfront. It's about prime real estate located by those marshland inland sea channels facing Biscayne Bay.

The way these situations unravel, a few condo owners  might sell at below market rate ( can't affford Condo Dues ) , and then, you have your absentee owners selling their units at discount rates, and  once the investors conquer majority voting rights, the unsold remainder is bought at discount rates by these very same investors and their proxies..

Now, you might wonder how this can take place elsewhere, Brazil being a possibility.  This situation presents with a few possible outcomes,  and as far as Sao Paulo's prime real estate is concerned.....

1.If you are an investor, you could be amassing a large amount of units within a building. Some private equity funds ( mostly Brazilian ones to date, some funded by American Financial Proxy Funds )  are , in fact, going about this. Mostly on newly developed and delivered buildings, those going back 5 years.

2.If you are buying a single or a scant few units, you could be exposed to these pushover tactics. Not a situation you want to be involved in, as a small time investor. 

3..This could be also a hint that ou might want to reconsider where to park your Real Estate Dollars, and move away from Apartment Units, and into Single Family units ( rowhouses, townhomes, garages, storefronts with above walk up apartments, landmarked non public small  buldings ).

As far as Sao Paulo proper is concerned, there are neighborhoods that have a large historical stock of single family/fee simple ownership units, where you can hedge your bets at very competitive asking rates.

4.You will need to Scout sites harder in order  to avoid the push out trend and invest into overlooked housing stock on neighbohoods with upside. 

This post invites everyone who considers himself/herself as an investor or home buyer. I do welcome replies, suggestions, annedoctal facts, rebuttals.. Please post publicly, and come out of the woodwork with your grievances, third party knowledge of facts,, or personal experiences, if you may.

Fair Disclosure....

This is not a solicitation to investors, home buyers, in an y shape or form.  I am not interested in showcasing units I do not have under any listing contract, at least for the moment.

It just came upon my knowledge a tactic employed by some Florida  Real Estate investors, a tactice  seldom used in Sao Paulo ( to the best of my knowledge, by the way ), Brazil, nonetheless having taken place in Sao Paulo .  The rare occasions it took place here, in Sao Paulo Brazil , it was related to the hoarding of condominium office suites by a single investor holding a majority stake in an office building. Under adverse market conditions, I would daresay.   
This serves as an alert to home buyers as well as to real estate investors in Large MSAs such as Sao Paulo, Rio, Florianopolis, Fortaleza.  And to a very lesser extend in places such as Belo Horizonte,, Curitiba, Porto Alegre, Campinas, Recife, Ribeirao Preto,

-@sprealestatebroker

This is not new in Brazil. I have seen this many times in SP in my short fifteen years. There are numerous variations to this theme too, often by the condo developers themselves.

I just saw this exact report on video today.

The 6 or so remaining owners (if we're talking about the same complex) are suing the developer asking for compensation equal to the balance of the other purchases. Apparently these people are being offered some 33% less now that they've legally dissolved the condo corp........

I'd appreciate your insight into the large number of empty office/residential buildings in SP.......saw a couple of detailed reports about it online..........

What is an MSA?

Wow...  I didn't even think to look at the previous HOA fees🤔🤔🤔..

Sounds like whales moving the markets..

Under Florida law if 80% of the owners approve the termination of the HOA the remaining owners can be forced to sell. I wasn't aware of that, but l just found it online.

Another big issue for retirees in Florida is skyrocketing homeowners insurance. Imagine owning your home, but being forced to sell because you can't afford the insurance and property taxes.

Imagine owning your home, but being forced to sell because you can't afford the insurance and property taxes.         -@KenAquarius

That one's already a reality in a lot of US jurisdictions, not just Florida.  If I hadn't moved to Brazil when I retired, I would have had to sell and move somewhere anyway:  my property taxes in suburban Cook County IL were already close to $13K/year back in 2017, more than I could manage without working.  The county lets seniors freeze their taxes, but only at the price of a lien for the cumulative increases, payable when the property is sold or the homeowner dies.  So the county becomes an heir to their estates, ahead of their children!

@abthreeThey should rename it “Crook County “.

09/14/23    @abthreeThey should rename it “Crook County “.         -@KenAquarius

For sure.  Illinois has such a huge pension liability with no plans on solving the problem that living there is like living on a fiscal volcano -- and the volcano already has tremors, for anyone willing to notice.  A lot of people are getting out while they can, but many more are living in denial.  And it sure isn't for the weather!

What is an MSA?

-@Peter Itamaraca

MSA = Metropolitan Statystical Area - Same as Ciity plus suburbs minus exurbs.

09/14/23    @abthreeThey should rename it “Crook County “.         -@KenAquarius
For sure.  Illinois has such a huge pension liability with no plans on solving the problem that living there is like living on a fiscal volcano -- and the volcano already has tremors, for anyone willing to notice.  A lot of people are getting out while they can, but many more are living in denial.  And it sure isn't for the weather!

-@abthree

I saw this one the news.  I've been to the City twice. First time out towards Lombard, for most of the time spent there. Second time, by Lincoln Park. Flew both Midway and O'Hare.

Here's a few observations to my knowledge....

1.States cannot claim bankrupcy.  So,  Illinois is  on the hook for their liabilities for a long generational time.

2.Chicago is also near bankrupcy.  Or Cook''s county. Unlike Detroit, not all cities can declare insolvency.

3.Chicago corruption goes way back since the city was incorporated.  Little wonder the Natives gave up claims on the territory by the River towards white settlers ( and some French Priest ) . The whole area exuded some kind of stench.

4.Chicago lost a lot of manufacturing jobs. And so many other towns ( Urbana, Bloomington, Scarsdale, Peoria, Springfield ). Only that the MSA gained jobs in the service sector.

5.It surprises me that the Cubs are drawing well at Wriggley. A lot of Cub's ticket holders are middle class ones, the very same ones that left. town  My guess, they are booking a lot of tourists at the turnstiles. 

-@abthree

The Social Security, and Medicare are also Pension Liabilities. a GAAP exemption precludes these agencies from adding their future obligations against the National Debit Tallies.  That's a 120 trillion bill to be paid by future generations, for the next 30 years ahead. On today's present values.

Your baby boomers on hitting retirement, and labor shortages, those  millenials  might be the saving grace to make up the shortfall on Social Security and Medical Benefit entitlements, if you think about it.  Forget about the zoomers,, they don't procreate as much. 

And do not forget Calpers, that  KY Pension Fund Bankrupcy..  If anything else, Detroit's plan indicates pension collecting beneficiaries might end up with the short end of the stick.