Getting away from the rat race

Hi everyone hope your all good ... I'm a 60 year old Scottish gentleman and recently been thinking of early retirement.. I have my house on the market . Fixed 210.000 I also gave a small pension of around 300 a month. I have a property in Bulgaria.. however I was thinking dominic republic ... but might just settle for BG if I can get a hold of my agent who seems to have disappeared but I have the deeds here only thing is they are in Bulgarian... I'm a fit lad into walking climbing kayaking campervaning adventures travelling gardening intrested in cooking but hey slow cooker first .... )

@Harry1044 Hello Harry1044,

Welcome on board !

Feel free to read existing threads of the forums and why not post your question on a few selected country forums :

https://www.expat.com/forum/

Here are links to the  Dominican Republic forum

and the

Bulgaria forum

Regards

Bhavna

@Harry1044

Good to hear from you Harry. What sort of condition is the house that you purchased in?

If you have the deeds & keys to the property, why do you need to contact the Bulgarian property company? What village is the property in? You sound a young 60 and you will certainly enjoy all that Bulgaria has to offer, in terms of your hobbies/ outdoor porsuits, however, the minimum pension that you need to receive to enable residency & D visa here, I believe is now  set at €400 per month.

@Jules999 thanks for the reply I'm sure I'm.really just over 400 . The condition is water tight . But prob uninhabitable due to water and electric supply it's in yambol ... I  have the  deeds but the keys were kept in Bulgaria real estates and their notcreply to my mails I also ghinkmim many years in arrears with the annual tax thing ? However imnin a position ho pay this now . I was wondering if the office is still there regarding my deeds because it in Bulgarian I'm notsure what it sayss for legit reasons

@Jules999  jules it's Harry again I was was wondering if your on fb so I can send you pics of my house in yambol as I can't send for some reason on here . I can also find address of my home later on in yambol and possibly you can give me an up date .? Or if you prefer email I'm getting excited now ..

@Harry1044

If that's the case then applying for the D visa will be fairly straightforward. What is the name of the Bulgarian real estate company? It could be that they no longer exist? If you have ownership of the deeds then changing the locks won't be a problem & probably advisable for security anyhow.

Will you renovate the property as you go? Id imagine it might need a rewire and double glazing, heating etc? If you are handy that way, it will be a lot lighter on your pocket, as materials & labour has gone up significantly here over the past few years.

Yes I'm planning on renovation it has double glazing but prob needing renewed I am handy and have all the tools it's also needing out side walls Harald as it bare brick at moment.. the roof is great

So you bought a run-down house in a faraway place through an agent, paid in full, got deeds in a language you don't speak, left the keys with the agent - and now they don't reply any longer?

That sounds very much like a typical scam. What if there is no house (or it is inhabitated by someone else) and the papers turn out to be faked or useless?

Share your expat experience and get in touch with other members

OR