Pre-construction V. Resale

Greetings all,

i am new to this forum & am very pleased that such a resource is available. My wife and I (from US) plan on purchasing a villa in CL within the next 9 months that could be mainly used as Airbnb for the a few years until we move there. However, we are not sure if we should purchase a 3 beds Sunseeker pre-construction or a resale in CL. What is usually the ratio between asking price & offer in the resale market? How rentable are resale in the already established Phases (4-6)? What would be the best route Pre-con or resale? Any suggestion &/or concern will be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

Welcome me too the forums.  First what or where is CL

@FatCarib

Hi FatCarib,

My name is Raquel ***

Moderated by Bhavna 8 months ago
Reason : Advertising your own services is not allowed on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@planner

CL is Casa Linda, a development located in the hills near Sosua.  Very well known on the North Coast. 

Thanks.  We can never assume others will know as these forums cover the whole country.  I am guilty of that at times with putting SD instead of Santo Domingo!

@planner

was referring to Casa Linda

Pre-con used to be cheaper but now with the rising costs for materials it is not. I had a quick look at pre-con/resale prices in CL and they don't seem to differ much. Benefit of a resale now would be that you see what you get and be able to airbnb soon (if there is a market!). There is a lot to consider though...

Thanks a bunch Papito…that makes sense.

Has anyone been through the resale buying process (via realtors) in Casa Linda or any of the developments in the area? I heard you can considerably negotiate down the asking price. Is that true?

Thanks a bunch Papito…that makes sense.
Has anyone been through the resale buying process (via realtors) in Casa Linda or any of the developments in the area? I heard you can considerably negotiate down the asking price. Is that true?
-@FatCarib

This is a classic “It depends!” answer. I don't know specifically about Casa Linda, but I know of people here in Las Terrenas who have offered 50% of asking price and it was accepted - yeah, that's an outlier and the owner really wanted out of it! With the properties that we've sold, we priced them to sell. We figured out what we wanted out of them, allowed for the realtor's commission, and set the price. We had realtors who wanted to advertise them higher so that a buyer had room to negotiate, but we didn't want to play games! In both cases, we ended up selling the properties without a realtor and discounted the price accordingly.

if you can find what you want as a resale, go for it! A finished property will (potentially) start generating income immediately, and you won't have the hassle of price increases and construction delays that almost always come with new construction.

Great pointer ddmcghee. Much appreciated.

some of the newer developments do have a tax program called CONFOTUR. this program is applicable to some new developments (The developer must apply for the program). this saves you the 3% transfer tax and the regular property taxes. the program lasts for 15 years.

dreamingdr.com/dev-benefit/confotur/

@FatCarib

What ever you happen to do , try to get someone to inspect , sometimes the reason for selling is more than just “ we want to relocate “

Does anyone know the approx sqm cost for new construction in the Cabarete area??

Also seems like the resale prices become considerably higher vs actual property worth once certain "listing agencies" get involved.