We've been looking in the Dobrich/Provadiya/Kameno area

@Julien , Hello, we're a couple looking to move to Bulgaria in the next 6-12 months from Lichfield, UK.  We've been looking in the Dobrich/Provadiya/Kameno area - hoping to be within one hour of the coast but not too close.  Any advice would be amazing, especially with visa's, bank accounts, regulations etc.  We love the idea of living in Bulgaria - proper seasons for one thing but what would you say are the problems we might face, we're trying to learn the basics of the language but sometimes feel a little overwhelmed with all the red tape?

many thanks

Krysy & Nick

Hello and welcome, Krysy and Nick!

The first hurdle might be the visa. Post-Brexit, unless one of you has an EU passport, you'd need to meet the requirements for a D visa, the first step in getting long-term residency. There's been a lot discussed about that in the forum, as meeting the specific requirements can present some challenges.

Without the D visa, non-EU citizens can only stay 90 days per 180. If one of you does hold an EU passport, the process is a lot easier!

Hello everyone,

Welcome on board Krysy & Nick !

Please note that this new thread has been created on the Bulgaria forum so that you may better interact with members.

As we always recommend to  newbies,  please read the Living in Bulgaria guide for expats for all first-hand infos (bank, accommodation, taxes etc..)

All the best

Bhavna

@janemulberry thank you, sadly no EU passport but looking to retire so hopefully we'll qualify. I'll check out the info on the forum

Thanks again

@Bhavna thank you, I'll check it out and thanks for the warm welcome

@janemulberry thank you, sadly no EU passport but looking to retire so hopefully we'll qualify. I'll check out the info on the forum
Thanks again
-@Morriskrysy58

That's great, as retirement is one of the easier options! It's not age specific, as long as you have proof of a retirement pension whether government or private. The Bulgarian Embassy in London has a list of the required paperwork, and an interview there will be needed as well.