SRRV holders and BANKS .....

I am interested to hear experiences with the following possible banking issues:

• PRA ID card not recognised by banks
  • Difficulty opening a bank account, unless it is BDO in Pacific Starr building in Makati.
  • Issues getting a creditcard application approved.

Please refrain from replying other than related to BANKING problems for those whoo have or had SRRV.

Thank you.

You can open a joint account with a local person and then apply for a credit card

emvaningen -- On my first visit to PH, I opened a bank account.  (30-day Tourist visa.)  I needed to get a 'barangay clearance.'  This is a document that states you are a resident of some certain barangay.  Even though I had not visited PH before, I was known to the barangay captain.  I had helped a family member build a CHB house, redeemed two farms, and purchased a tractor for family use.  (We are all rice farmers.)  Also -- the barangay captain was a ninong for my wife's daughter.

I went to the barangay office, met happily with the captain, and obtained two copies of the barangay clearance.  When I met with the local bank branch manager (Rizal Commercial Banking Corporation, RCBC), I presented her with my passport and barangay clearance.

We left about 15 minutes later with a passbook (can you believe it...) in hand.  I found it very convenient to have an account in PH while I was winding down my affairs in America.  RCBC has been a good experience for us, even though the nearest branch is about 90-minute round trip away.  (Guimba, Central Luzon.)

Subsequently, we obtained an RCBC debit card for use at ATMs.  I have several US-based credit cards, so no need for another.

I have an SRRV now.  Whenever I'm asked for ID, I present my PH driver's license and PRA identity card.  (For example, at the local electrical coop, and at S&R in Cabanatuan.)  No issues, no comments, no problems.

Stef

@emvaningen

Hi I was able to open my BPI bank account with my PRA (SSRV) ID card. They teller questioned the ID initially but after checking (a quick phone call) with Manilla branch, it was accepted.

opened my account in Mindanao Digos City

Hope this helps.

@drdavidson20

Thank you!

Amazing.

Here in makati, atthe corporate offcie, my PRA-ID card was questioned.

@emvaningen try HSBC 🤟🇵🇭

When I opened my Metrobank account the look on the tellers face what all I needed - they just do not know this kind of ACR card. Theres just 75k people that have it in all the Philippines compared to millions of tourists.

Show them your Visa in the Passport, and probably make a printout of the PRA website and tell them to check with their superior. It sure will take longer haha - remember now its "Love the Philippines" hehe